Does anyone know why the arbiter went to sleep

The Jailer used to be the Arbiter…

Why wouldn’t things forged by the Primus before Zovaal’s imprisonment be forged according to Zovaal’s will!?!

It was only when Zovaal decided to use it to take the Sigils(and thus attack the Eternal Ones’ Souls) that the Primus and the other Eternal Ones turned on Zovaal.

Zovaal probably had the Primus forge Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination according to Zovaal’s aesthetics as well as invent the Domination Magic according to his plan.

I’m sure that Denathrius himself(not trusting Zovaal to not grab the entire Soul) used Frostmourne on himself(to get the Sigil) before stuffing the Mourneblade into the Frozen Throne with the Helm of Domination. Denathrius’s paranoia over the state of his Soul is what led to him fighting alongside the other Eternal Ones to keep Zovaal from attacking him!

As soon as Zovaal was safely imprisoned and Denathrius had Zovaal’s Mourneblade he was free to remove the Sigil himself without losing his Soul and set up a plan for Zovaal’s liberation and access to the Sepulcher.

Zovaal was the Arbiter, but he wasn’t really considered the “boss.” As can be seen with the Pantheon of Death seeing eachother as siblings.

Zovaal has even stated countless times that they “bound their own brother.” While it is not directly stated, Zovaal never saw himself superior to the others, and wouldn’t have that ability to order the Primus to do anything.

He asked his siblings to join him, but they refused.

The Primus created Domination Magic and used it to imprison Zovaal. Zovaal simply studied it over the eons, mastered it and broke free of it.

The Primus didn’t want Domination Magic, or mourneblades, to fall into the wrong hands. This is why Zovaal had to physically torture and extract these “memories” from the Primus to craft Frostmourne and the Lich King’s armor.

They don’t, we see the Titans’ souls in the Pantheon raid, Titans like other mystical entities in WoW return to their respective realms and regenerate from there. Denathrius makes the most sense, and I’d wager it was Remornia specifically since the projectile was screaming…

If you’d been up for upteen jillion years, you might want a few centuries of nap time.

Could it have been Varimathras?

Doubtful, Dreadlords of the Burning Legion would go to the Twisting Nether, like all other significantly enough Fel tainted races…

How does Azmogal make it to Maldraxxus then?

If you die in the Twisting Nether, does that send you to the Shadowlands, or are you “dead, dead?”

Most of the demons in Maldraxxus were actually captured by the Maldraxxi I believe.

The introductory zone quests to the Theater of Pain indicate that the Brokers provide the arena’s more “exotic” combatants by traveling to other planes of existence and capturing creatures to bring back to Maldraxxus. So they presumably got Azmogal by going to the Twisting Nether or a planet being invaded by the Legion (or given the state in which we last left the Burning Legion, possibly by unaffiliated or formerly Legion-aligned demons, depending upon when they actually caught him.)

4 Likes

Too be clear, my presumption is that what disabled the Arbiter was indeed Argus’ soul. Or at least a part of it, depending how Titans actually “die.”

The soul portion we saw at the end of Legion was just a graphical error and a titan dying is what sent the Arbiter “offline.”

This was foreshadowing Zovaal’s story, where he witnessed another Titan’s death, what I assume is going to be a “Life Titan,” setting up an Elune villain bat.

• Zovaal, the Arbiter of Death, was in love with the “Arbiter” of Life.

• Elune “killed” the “Arbiter” of Life. (upstart goddess remark/villain batting)

• Zovaal, being the Arbiter of Death, thought he should be able to change it. Why are titans not immortal, etc etc…

(I’m not sayin its right, or its even good… just… just this is where we’re at. =/)

Brokers, if you talk to the one at the side of the arena you find out they go out and “procure” exotic species and specimens from beyond the Shadowlands, thus the “border security” jokes in Oribos…

If a demon dies in the Twisting Nether they are permadead… no afterlife only oblivion, this is true of Demons that die in other realms in places with Fel as well, instead of returning and respawning they just cease to be right there (places like broken shores where there’s visible Fel cracks in the ground).

The Chronicle says a Demon only dies permanently if they are killed in:

1. A place within the Twisting Nether
  2. A place where the Twisting Nether bleeds into Reality(I.E. the Netherstorm which is where the Twisting Nether bleeds into Outlands in the Great Dark Beyond where it rides the winds of the Twisting Nether at the Edge of the Great Dark Beyond).

The Illidan Novel has Illidan add the Demons die in Utterly Fel-Saturated Worlds bit and yet the only examples he gave are Worlds inside the Twisting Nether where Fel is in the very Air you breath and extends well beyond the Planet’s atmosphere.

1 Like

That sounds a bit of a stretch. Even for someones headcanon that is grasping at straws.

My guesses:

• Ysera’s soul corrupted by the red Tear of Elune. But Elune taked her soul on Legion, then: All souls MUST pass by the Arbiter even those sended to Ardenweald by the Elune.

• Xavius’es soul shut down the Arbiter. He’s part demon, but half aberration corrupted by Nzoth, he is a Druid also? We didnt see him in Nyalotha. Xalathat said he was the Champion of Nzoth.

Both statements suggest a triple alliance between Fel-Void & Death, more for convenience than trust.

It’s also possible this is another case of Blizzard forgetting their own lore, like they did with the Draenei and Eredar lore when developing TBC.

1 Like

Ysera died before Ursoc, so I don’t think it was her.

You might be right about Xavius. On that note, what about the soul of Argus?

2 Likes

The reason I like the idea of it being Argus’ soul which knocks the Arbiter out is because it does set the Dreadlords up as a greater cosmic-scale threat in a way that is very fitting for them.

Argus experienced untold eons of pure torment, agony, and anguish, a never-ending torture without relief or hope. The Arbiter experiences the sum total of any soul’s entire lifetime in a faction of a second. So to have such pain and horror that lasted eons to be condensed into such a brief moment should be enough to overwhelm her.

Now, typically the souls or essence of entities like demons or stewards/dredgers return to the plane of their origin upon death, but the Titans themselves originate in the material plane, not the cosmic plane of order. Eonar’s soul was on a planet that she had prepared in advance for the eventuality of her death, and the other Titan-Souls were captured in time.

So if the Dreadlords had somehow marked Argus’ soul in such a way that it, or at least the essence containing its experiences were to go to the Shadowlands, then that is a very real way of knocking the Arbiter offline.

3 Likes

It also could expand the lore and story behind Sargeras and the other Pantheon of Order.

How are they born within reality and not within the Plane of Order? What condition did Sargeras find Argus’ soul in, in order for him to continue twisting and corrupting his brother? Etc…

Adventure Guide

Bound. Broken.
Eons of existence, knowing only pain.
A shattered soul, fueling infinite evil.
The master beckons. Rise… Rise!
Begin the end of all things.

Is the master Sargeras, or Zovaal? >.>

1 Like

Doesn’t really matter since their goals just make them one and the same. Just a different era of developers.