Does anyone know if a Horde player actually says

“Victory or Death” do Alliance see Lok’tar Ogar or do they see aoisdufyaiop siuohoiausdfh ioaushef?

1 Like

If it’s written out, it will be like how lol is kek.

3 Likes

Only text is scrambled. Emote voices remain the same.

Yes… the Horde playing would be /s Victory or Death

1 Like

That’s the Old God tongue, you’re thinking of Gok’li feuting lok’regal jima’

Personally, I try to precede hostilities with an amicable or warm greeting.

2 Likes

Is not Victory or Death the traditional Horde greeting? Sometimes shortened to just “Victory”?

Void elf to/from blood elf its wide open comms.

I have had many decent convo’s with the other side as both.

1 Like

I’d assume it comes out as gibberish honestly, the language barrier only exists because some folk back in beta and shouted all sorts of profanities like edgy teenagers.

I could be wrong though, might wanna try to coordinate with an alliance player to check.

Translated: “Me not that kind of Orc”

2 Likes

Not a vlid reason these days if so. Your average BG you get this in your side’s comms anyway lol.

Seeing the other sides comments might just break it up lol.

I know it got really old seeing “don’t you have an inn at goldshire to ERP in MG?” when discussing how this trashran run went to crap in a big way. I’d prefer trash talk from the horde side if better quality.

I have done eve pvp for years. Against some of the most famed trash talking crews. I demand quality trash talk. And offensive but high quality ascii art. I want to be impressed.

Alliance most times…well they fail at that about as much as they do in running the bg lol.

1 Like

There’s also just straight up a potion so anyone can do this. They added it shortly after breaking the Cross RP addon or something.

1 Like

ASCII art spam is some of the most obnoxious crap in games that allow it.

done right its awe inspiring. Makes you wonder how much free time they had to do it too. But impressive none the less.

One of the reasons they need to unlock the language barrier, imo.

1 Like

What’s the point in breaking an addon like that? This isn’t 2004 we can just hop on Discord

That’s a common enough phrase that it should be made to show up (for purposes of immersion), but I suspect that it doesn’t. I haven’t played around with this stuff for a while, but there are some websites that have it broken down somewhat.

Basically, for each possible combination of letters that you type, the game scrambles that to a word from a small pool of orcish-sounding words with the same number of letters. Since the pool is relatively small (and it gets smaller as the number of letters increases), many words you type will be scrambled to the same translation as seen by the non-fluent player. If you type in capital or lower-case, it tends to reflect that as well.

So, unless it’s specially coded to translate that iconic phrase directly (which unfortunately I doubt), it’s possible that the “victory” part could show up as “lok’tar” (since they’re both 7-character words), but “or” would likely show up with a corresponding 2-letter word from the pool, and “death” would probably show up as a corresponding 5-letter word from the pool. So it might be “Lok’tar ha Regas” or “Tov’osh ko Golar”, but it’s the same every time.

There are some examples here, under “In-game Parser”

Languages have really been a missed opportunity in this game. They could make it completely optional and not combat-related, but make it so that characters could learn to at least understand other languages. They could dampen it in PvP if they needed to.

I’ve always thought that would be a really cool aspect to add to something like archaeology. If you’ve got a character like a mage who’s presumably very smart and well-educated, he should be able to learn additional language proficiencies. Or, if you’ve got a character who’s some sort of spy or scout, it makes sense that they’d be able to learn how to understand or speak different tongues.

1 Like

https://manytools.org/hacker-tools/convert-images-to-ascii-art/

Pretty sure people don’t do it themselves these days, FWIW.

(note, I haven’t thoroughly checked out that website, but it doesn’t seem like anything malicious)

This isn’t the only option for automating it. Each one I’ve tried seems to get slightly different results, I don’t know what the “best” one is, or the best settings, and I’m sure the image itself dictates how successful it is.

Nobody ever knows because no horde player has ever actually said “Victory or Death”. Instead it is “Get good scrub” or “lol pwned” or “Get off the road you noobs!”.

1 Like

I would like to note, custom emotes do not translate. I see a lot of ‘so and so’ makes some strange gesturers.