Does anyone actually like the portal room honestly?

I don’t think anyone complains about the existence of the portal room.

It’s their removal of portals plus making destinations to villages outside of hubs rather than the cities/hubs themselves. That, coupled with their complete lack of interest in our feedback about that fact. They’re giving us Caverns of Time, great.

But ultimately it was a PR debacle. One of many as of late.

7 Likes

Well, the reason Ironforge was the capital back in the day was because it was close to all of the max-level content. Every racial capital does have the same thing (except portals now, I guess), and before portalgate, nobody went to the other racial capitals.

I say make each city unique, with different purposes to go there. With portals for some convenience, of course.

2 Likes

Ironforge was the capital because it had the only auction house for alliance.

4 Likes

How could I forget lmao

TBF it’s not like people stopped going to IF the second SW got an AH. It was a slow bleed.

You’re not wrong.

On topic, I like the portal rooms. Organizing things is an improvement. Though, I don’t think they left themselves too much room to expand, at least for the Horde.

I don’t like them removing portals and forcing us to take the long way for everything. It doesn’t even support their stated goal that I quoted. Them moving the Pandaria one from the Shrine to the Jade Forest killed the population there. Instead of seeing at least a few other people there I’m all by my lonesome.

2 Likes

Fair point

I like them. I think they should have one in every capital city. It would promote travel instead you have to hop from portal to portal or you have to have several hearth stones

3 Likes

I like it just fine. No complaints at all.

1 Like

I like the Alliance portal room. I think it looks great and its nice having a hub where they all are that won’t be summarily removed at some later date (hopefully). The Horde portal room on the other hand seems… lackluster and its location is… odd to say the least.

My issues with the portal rooms come down to missing portals (CoT and Dalaran Crater mainly) and certain decisions on where portals go such as MoP portal going to starter town instead of Shrine, and sending us to Azsuna for Legion for some reason. Personally I felt the Wyrmrest portal would have been the better choice for a link to WOTLK since Dalaran is technically not in Northrend anymore and yet Wyrmrest is centrally located and not far from old Dalaran. The Legion portal going to current Dalaran would have been preferable to me.

8.2 will give us a CoT portal which is a big deal to me and makes me happy. Lacking a portal to Dalaran crater without pestering a mage (when I am on an alt), I’d settle for a flight path added to Gilneas so that Alliance has some method of getting to that part of the continent. Currently the closest flight path is in WPL when you want to do Love Is In The Air.

Some people are upset about the loss of the Kara portal but there’s an easy to get ring that teleports you there so its not something that bugs me at all.

Function > Aesthetic.

The new portal rooms are pretty, but less useful than what we had before. They need to be expanded to include everything we previously had. Or just remove them and put the old portals back in.

5 Likes

Portal rooms, as a general concept? Yes.
This game’s current crop? No.
The retooling was not needed, too much has been removed from the game AGAINJ and with little or nothing to take its place.
AGAIN.

4 Likes

I don’t see the big deal at all. I think it’s beautiful and super convenient. Sure, some are missing, but none that really matter. People just love to complain.

2 Likes

No complaints from me. I think adding some wings for the lost portals from Legion Dalaran and it’d be perfect.

It’s a room. With portals.

not really much to like or dislike.

now the current selection of portals… I’m also impartial to, it could be better, but when would I have honestly ever used a caverns of time portal?

They looks good, that’s about it.

For wanting to centralise portals they are missing quite a few, though.

I’d like it a whole lot more if they weren’t short about 5 portals.

2 Likes

It looks pretty but function wise. It was pointless. Blizz doesn’t have s good reason to mess with thr portals to get around.

Just goes back to the dammed metric.

Me personally, I love the portals being in one location. Because I mostly have my two mains (1 Alliance and 1 Horde) and my many alts’s hearthstones set to Stormwind and Orgrimmar. Between the two, the Alliance portal room looks visually pleasing.

I like it but it needs more portals.