Does any Alliance player feel cheated by the ARs?

I am going to be brutally honest, while I don’t hate any of the allied races . . . most of ours honestly felt like compromises.

“Oh you want high elves? Most requested race? Uuuuuuuuuh here’s a group of blue void wielding elves that never existed before and were blood elves previously! What? You only wanted the blood elf model right?”

“Oh? Broken draenei? Uuuuuuuuuh have Draenei with even more light instead!”

“Vrykul you say? Uuuuuuuuuuh we’ll just make the kul’tirans orc sized and pass it off as them being monster hunters while everyone just assumes they are half drust.”

“Cyborg gnomes? Eh we’ll just give em 4 mechanical limbs that can’t have any transmog parts.”

Honestly the dark irons to me feel like the only allied race that wasn’t some sort of compromise or something that was changed for no real reason.

11 Likes

LFD for sure. the racials…not so hot. They’d have been better off as a customization not unlike nightwarrior option for night elves.

So they’d get the better racials of vanilla Draenei. I have died many times on my ret paladin LFD. Not once has my racial ever seem to do much on a bridge cluster fight in ashran. Demon XP? yeah…if not leveling in legion or outland not really good that.

Personally I wanted this:

Not whatever this thing is:

8 Likes

I’m not an Alliance player but I think y’all got cheated. Metal hands and legs should have been a customization option for gnomes.

4 Likes

[citation needed]

On what planet does the negative reception to one allied race lead to new customization for another? Seems far more likely that void elves getting blood/high elf options was due to the community’s massive push for either high elves as an allied race or high elf customization for void elves than people screaming into the abyss over a completely unrelated race. If they really felt that implementing mechagnomes was a mistake they needed to correct, they would’ve also given the Alliance some of the gorillion other things they requested during BfA (Stormwind human and skinny models for Kul Tirans, neutral vulpera, holy undead, etc.)

The “real” mechagnomes are primarily mindless automatons created to carry out the Titans’ work. On the old forums, I pitched the idea of the Alliance reverse engineering Titan tech to produce a mechagnome army, but looking back at it now, I think a completely inorganic race was off the table.

Tauren are not an Alliance race, stop trying to force them off on us. Baine reaching out to the Highmountain tribes and bringing them into the Horde made far more sense than, let’s say Malfurion doing the same. Would also be a middle finger to tauren fans who quested in Highmountain during Legion, saw that the tauren there had antlers, and thought “I want antlers on my tauren, too”.

Giving the Alliance a Horde race and new customization for an existing race would both be blatant favoritism and leave a gaping hole in the Horde’s allied race lineup. What would be in their place, the ghost night elves from Azsuna? The vrykul from Stormheim? I’m sure giving the Horde the Krokul would blow over well for the Alliance players who’ve wanted Broken in the Alliance since TBC.

1 Like

Well outside of the VE DK I am working on now, I haven’t made another allied race and I have them all unlocked. Just non of them appeal to me and the VE only did once they changed it so they could look more High Elven.

1 Like

And what you got was this:
Imgur

Ask for a mustache if its absence is what’s bothering you so much.

2 Likes

Alliance has always fallen short in the race department. Time for the horde to do the same. Maybe it will help out faction balance.

2 Likes

I thought the AR system was just stupid when I first saw it. I thought to myself why couldn’t some of them just be customizations you could choose for that particular race. Of course, to keep us grinding for a long time so we could stay subbed.

Yes, there are some that make sense to be considered an AR but the DID, Mechagnomes, Zandalari Trolls, MH Orc, and HMT does not make any sense to be an AR if they’re just reskins. Sure different story and such but they’ve explained that when unlocking the race. Should’ve just been a customization to me.

Edit: Actually, i take that back about the Zandalari Trolls. Also another reskin is the LF Draenei.

1 Like

We got Void Elves. Its an automatic win. I love everything about them.

Its like saying we got google over yahoo. Even though yahoo was here first. Its an autowin

Y’know, Mok’nathal would probably fit the KT models a lot more than what Blizzard did to the Alliance with them. Like, I know someone will point out that Rexxar is absolutely stacked, but he’s also an outlier even among Mok’nathal. Mok’nathal, being an ogre/orc hybrid would fit the KT model features, just throw some tusks, orc hairstyles, and ogre skin tones and body paints on it and it would work.

It’d be a semi-acceptable Blizzard style corrupt-a-wish request fulfillment for both Mok’nathal AND ogres to boot, while legitimately being able to say “look, this was the only way we could give the Horde ogres with a female model.”

2 Likes

He also shares a model with the male KT.

2 Likes

They got the discount blood elves they wanted so badly, if anything the Horde is the only who got cheated when Blizzard gave the elf model to the Alliance and then proceed to give them a lot of new stuff when they explicitly said they were going to update the core races and not the allied races.

So not only the Alliance get what they wanted but their newly acquired allied race received the updates meant to older core races, while Horde’s ARs get nothing.

At least that was the case 7 months ago when I took a break, I have not followed any wow related stuff whatsoever for that time so I don’t know if in that period Blizzard also updated other allied races too, I guess if they did that would make it less worse for us?

3 Likes

Not really a fan of any of the Alliance allied races. Haven’t even unlocked Kul Tiran or Mechagnome.

Would have preferred a Jinyu race to be honest.

1 Like

They added more Void Elf customization since then.

2 Likes

Really?
Damn and they still insist Blizzard only cares about the Horde lol

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say I feel cheated, but Blizzard has certainly lost a lot of good will from me due to Allied Races.

The Horde received the Allied Races they requested as they were requested, handed to them on a silver platter, with a side of extra options. Horde asked for Mag’har? They didn’t just get brown-skinned Orcs, they got Orcs with the Blackrock molten skins, the different customizations from different clans, etc…

By contrast, the Alliance’s AR requests were monkey pawed. The only one that had actually been asked for was the Dark Irons, and even that request hadn’t been as popular as Wildhammer Dwarves had been.

Alliance Allied Races were a series of disappointments. Lightforged Draenei instead of Broken (or Krokuul from Argus which filled the same interest). Void Elves instead of High Elves. Dark Irons instead of Wildhammers (still our best out of five). Kul Tirans instead of Vykrul.

I would say Mechagnomes are so despised because they came at the tail-end of a long list of disappointments, and got paired with the Vulpera for the Horde. It was the wrong move to make. Blizzard would’ve been better off stating the Alliance AR wasn’t ready for 8.2.5 and would be added later, and then adding Mechagnome customizations to regular gnomes.

The addition of High Elf customizations to Void Elves is nice, but problematic in it’s own way. It’s been coming piecemeal, a single category with every wave of customizations, and people are jumping on this and saying, “OMG! STOP GIVING VOID ELVES SO MUCH WHEN OTHER RACES ARE LACKING!” They conveniently ignore the reality that Void Elves are getting copy/pasted pre-existing assets, low-effort additions that likely take no more than five minutes. Even then they’re a far cry from the High Elves people want.

And I could be okay with that, except Blizzard REFUSES to actually do any meaningful development for Void Elves as they are. In BFA, they existed to give the Horde a guilt-free option to kill Alliance (they’re not just traitors, but dangerous traitors). Whenever anything void related came up in BFA’s story, they were absent. They only existed on the Alliance to fight the Horde.

All they are is a group of mages who make purple portals instead of blue ones. That’s the ultimate power of the Void, apparently; purple portals. We could’ve seen them delving into the heads of captured Horde soldiers to pull out vital information (we got this in a book, why not in game?), we could’ve seen them wiring said soldiers to not remember their captivity and to be sleeper agents that try to kill their commanders or leaders on sight, or turned into living bombs of void energy waiting to go at just the right moment. We could’ve seen enemy soldiers broken down into mindless thralls by having their minds exposed to the eldritch power of the void, overwhelming them.

Purple portals. That’s all the Void Elves were. And despite that, our main portal mage in BFA was STILL a High Elf.

I take it back. I do feel cheated, by Void Elves, for two reasons. Blizzard didn’t develop them at all as a race, and if that was how it was going to be, they should’ve been High Elves, since they already had multiple expansions worth of development and didn’t need anymore.

7 Likes

Alliance: Demanded High Elves.
Alliance: Got High Elves.

Alliance: Still angry. Because.

6 Likes

Fixed that for you.

8 Likes

The best AR’s (Alliance) - Void elves , Mechagnomes , Dark Iron Dwarves …