Do you think language results in ingame bans?

I know these forums are heavily moderated but what do you think about in game language. Think it’s moderated too?

By other players. If someone is offended and reports you the gm will take a look at chat logs. But otherwise, not really. Most people ignore cussing. As long as you’re not being a hateful -ist or -ism.

I don’t think children should see some of the language but I don’t think it should be banned . There are parental language filters that can be used for children or even adults that are easily offended .

Do I think chat should be a full on sailor cuss fest. Of course not.

1 Like

I once saw a drunk guy (by his own admission) drop f-bombs in chat for close to an hour, begging for a GM to ban him. I think he got bored and passed out before they did anything, and if he was gone it wasn’t long because I saw him acting perfectly normal some time later. I’ve seen people do stuff ruder than that and get away with it at least in the moment as well. Never have I seen a GM intervene on someone while they were doing what they were doing.

And that was in the era before auto-reporting, I imagine now they care if anything even less.

1 Like

Unless the person is mass reported, no.

I am sure it is a lot less stringent since we can filter it. I am no prude but I keep the filter on because my kids play with me.

1 Like

a 10 charec

No, if that were the case my servers trade chat would be a ghost town instead of a den of anal jokes, fur hate, and ‘trump bad reee’.

Also most of my responses to trade sound like they are coming from a drunken sailor who was taught english by a drunk irishman.

I think curses in game are mostly just accepted? I mean, the developers have all cursed. I remember reading one of Jeff’s old posts where he absolutely went off on the developer, and there was some colorful language. Gaming and cursing just sort of go hand in hand.

I think so long as people don’t get overly insulting, there’s no real reason for anyone to take action regarding curse words.

1 Like

Are we on the same forums?

1 Like

Oh, I can tell you right now, if you run your mouth and cuss up a storm, you are gonna get a silence. Someone always reports that. And they always come to the CS forums to complain. That’s when a blue usually chimes in to tell what happened.

2 Likes

Technically it’s against the ToS but Blizz doesn’t actively monitor chat. They only take action if something gets reported.

I mean… we have an in-game profanity filter.

So it’s hardly an issue.

I wish the forums got the same treatment.

I think swearing is not the worst thing in the world if it’s used only expressively.

It’s mostly moderated by other players, you’ll typically catch a silence before anything too wild happens

You can catch a ban for in-game language, but you really have to put some effort into it

Only if they are cast by Warlocks. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That is exactly how it should be.

We don’t need Blizz policing us because they give us the tools we need not to see language we find offensive or think our children shouldn’t see.

1 Like

There is this though…

Yes. The mature language filter is in place to allow parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, the ability to block it. It is not a license to use inappropriate language or subject matter.

1 Like

If no one reports it, then it will slide under the radar.

Someone always does though…