Do you guys remember that one cinematic from Shadowlands

Remember how leading up to the Shadowlands expansion launch we got those Afterlives cinematics?

One of them featured Uther grabbing Arthas’ soul and throwing him in the maw. It gave hope that Arthas would have all these cool story beats and closure in Shadowlands.

As we all know, Arthas ended up getting done dirty. Everything he did as the lich king was retconned. The helm of domination was reforged into the world’s most generic helmet. To top it off, Arthas only ended up with 0.5 voice lines during the Anduin encounter before being written off.

That’s a fitting metaphor for how Blizz has been treating death knights as a whole for years. Gameplay, identity, everything.

Everything about Arthas’ legacy feels like it’s being forgotten or ignored, and the death knight community being vocal about things they’d like to see changed (looking at you, festering wounds) is summarily dismissed.

I care a lot about death knights, I just wish Blizzard did too. The afterthought status is brutal.

9 Likes

I really did not like what they did to Arthas. That cinematic is one of the things that made me so excited for SL. I thought we would get a lot of Arthas screentime etc. Instead they tossed him out just like that lol. I still love SL as a whole except for the Arthas bit. Very disrespectful treatment to one of the most iconic character in WoW.

4 Likes

Arthas did nothing wrong

3 Likes