Do you collect all pets?

Even the generic ones in the overworld?

Any that you get 3/3 of?

I started off as a gotta-catch-'em-all fanatic but when WoD started gating some pets behind things I didnā€™t, or couldnā€™t do, I gave up on that. Saved me some Real Money, stopped buying premium editions of other Blizzard games that came with a WoW pet.

I do have several 3-of pets, mostly since Pet Journal went unlimited thereā€™s no real reason to dump the extras. Only consider my 3 Nexus Whelplings as really necessary; I always use them for battling Faryl in Ardenweald.

3 Likes

Yes. I collect any and all that are still available to me. Sometimes, I feel like just going out and working on wild catch pets (though I have almost all of those now). Sometimes, I like picking a rarer pet that requires an achievement or a special condition or a series of secret things. Sometimes, I like working on the family battle achieves. It just depends on the mood.

The only ones I do this with are the pets that have 3 or more breeds and I feel like that might matter at some point. I actually whittle my collection occasionally by filtering pets where I have more than 1 and releasing or caging the extras. I like for my unique pet and total pet count to be super close.

Iā€™m actually overdue for a purge.

2 Likes

I try to get at least one of all the wild ones. Also do opt for any pets that are rep rewards or that sell for a decent (aka, low) price on the AH.

Lately Iā€™ve been trying to refine my collection, and look at breeds more closely. Focusing on getting pure breeds when possible or whatever combination seems to be the strongest battler.

3 Likes

Yep! My ultimate goal is to get all the pets I can realistically get, get 3 copies of them, and get them all to level 25. Itā€™s a lengthy goal and Iā€™ve been working on it for years, still a ways to go!

4 Likes

I strive too. Depending on the breeds available will depend on which I keep but overall if there are 3 breeds, I will collect one of each. If that pet has all breeds, I will make decisions on which to catch and level up. For instance, an S/S turtle isnā€™t likely to ever be needed when the options include more things like HP/PP/PS or whatever. This is why I do a lot of looking at what the group has in it and then backing out and destroying the pet rather than do the fights. I just use a dummy team, look and if they group is garbage or pointless I will back out and blow them up if I can. If there is one worth catching, I will switch to one of my 3 pet catching teams.

Most of my pets I have do have 3/3 unless I havenā€™t been collecting in that area much.

2 Likes

Battle pets are the only reason Iā€™ve been subscribed the past decade. So, yes, I am an avid collector. However, I do NOT like to buy pets on the auction house, I much rather acquire pets through battles and rewards.

Absolutely, Iā€™m a collector first, battler second. I love collecting and my goal is to collect one of every pet (minus the ones no longer available, region-locked, or PVP ones) :sweat_smile:

I do have duplicates of pets for the following reasons:

• The pet comes in multiple colors/skins/sizes
  • There are multiple desirable breeds for a pet used in strats (but I donā€™t focus on this too heavily)
2 Likes

I used to, but I donā€™t really hunt them anymore. If I am out doing quests and come across a wild pet that I donā€™t have, I will capture it.

If it turns out to have a neat moveset or something else unique, I will go hunt for the best breed and upgrade it.

1 Like

I collect one of each. No duplicates.

I have over 1,000 but am a LONG way behind the serious collectors. I have all the easy ones so now its either grinding or paying a lot on the AH.

1 Like

My roster probably looks a bit skewed compared to the average player, heh.

When I first started out I only wanted one of everything. Duplicates didnā€™t get me any closer to the collection achievements so I didnā€™t see the point in having more than one.

Then I started creating strategies and was invited to the Xu-Fuā€™s staff, so I needed to expand my collection to include more breeds so I could test & verify strategies. As an example, I have each of the Iron Starlette breeds even though we can only have three, and I keep the extras caged on my bank character to cage & uncage as needed.

Once I started writing the articles, especially the new xpac/patch ones, I started really enjoying the different skins for the pets. I think I went out of my way to collect one specific skin in SLs, but for DF there were a handful on my list that I hunted for their skins first, breed(s) second.

When it comes to collecting 3/3, if I have that many itā€™s usually because someone else made a team with three of the same pet so I had to go grab an extra or two so I could verify it worked. :joy:

4 Likes

I quit before 8.2 but before that time I was in the top 10 collectors on my server. I had 99% of pets. Since 8.2, there have been something like 300 pets added to the game. Just 8.2 has an insane amount, and people saying they wonā€™t buy off the AHā€¦um those rares that drop pets NEVER drop them. Iā€™ve killed them SO many times and nothing. Iā€™m sure if you were playing during BfA though, they were on the AH and not that bad priced.

No one is doing that content so they arenā€™t getting farmed anymore.

I enjoy doing pet battles, so I will continue to collect them and do the stuff I missed out onā€¦

1 Like

Big collector and lots of duplicates. SL was a big letdown though. It was like they had a couple dozen pets with five colors each to fluff out the total available. The ones you got on ZM were also aggravating. I do feel lucky I managed to get the Will of Remoria drop.

2 Likes

I do find it sad when they do that. I like unique pets over recolors

2 Likes

I chase every pet that I can find. I am currently at 1424 unique pets, with over 1500 total. I collect three of the pets that are colored differently, but I am beginning to collect different breeds for battles. I have over 1000 at level 25.

My goal right now is to get to 1450 pets. Itā€™s been very difficult.

I love that battle pets take me into raids, mythics, pet battles and pvp. I feel that I have experienced a lot more of the game than most players in my pursuit of pets.

Happy hunting!

2 Likes

I myself am trying to get all pets! hopefully in rare. I havenā€™t gotten that far but I think Iā€™m making good progress. Trying to get a rare ā€˜Stormwind Ratā€™ and hear some weird talk about cathedral square having rare one, but canā€™t seem to leave old town without them despawning and have to make my way back to one specific spot to make em respawn, but thats alright. I just wanna get the basic ones first based on the surrounding areas and that. Collect whatever ones I can!

Iā€™m in the ā€œMust Have All The Petsā€ category. All of the wilds, all of the pet store, I have all of the TCG, and I try my hardest to get all of the special reward pets. Sadly, I donā€™t have the original vanilla CE pets because by the time pet battles came out and I really started collecting, going back and buying that was way out of my price range so Iā€™ve come to accept that those are 3 Iā€™ll probably never have. I also donā€™t have the PvP pet for 400 Honor Level, the one for completing Brawlerā€™s Guild, and a few of the specific Legion Class Hall pets, but I work on those a little bit in down time from raiding and gearing my main. I spent most of the day last Sunday just relaxing and going around collecting all of the ā€œsecretā€ pets in Dragonflight.

As for duplicates, I have a few for strategic pet battles.

Backups are useful to have.

And for the purposes of sparing bandages when your pet heal is down, itā€™s nice to have backups for when a particular strat fails.

Also, since you cannot heal in dungeons (unless you cheat and log out to another character, click a bandage and go back in), you might need to use a particularly valuable pet more than once.

For example, in Wailing Critters, Ikky is used in viable strats for both Son of Skum (the first boss) and the Everliving Spore (the final boss). But since Ikky survives neither fight, you need more than one.

There also are viable strats involved for three of the same pet. For instance, when you battle Therin in the Blackrock Caverns pet dungeon, you can destroy his team quite easily with three Mechanical Pandaren Dragonlings.

Simply use Decoy first, then Thunderbolt, switch to the next MPD, use the same two moves, then the last MPD, then use the same two moves, then go back to the first. By the time you get back to the first, Decoy will just about off of CD.

Just keep rotating through your MPDs, using the same moves each time, and you will eventually destroy Therinā€™s entire team with minimal damage to your MPDs.

Always nice to see that smug pseudo-genius Therin brought down a peg.

Thereā€™s also the fact that most pets have more than one breed, and not every challenge requires the same breed. Iron Starlette, for instance, comes in five breeds, and one breed might not be optimal for every single challenge.

Finally, when it comes to collecting pets, there are often rewards tied to collecting every single type of pet. Or, at least, a number of different types of pets. For instance, I had recently discovered two pets on Mechagon that I hadnā€™t collected, because they are wild caught pets and you may not even know these pets exist until you start killing placeholder critters in the wild. Iā€™m referring to Yellow Junkhopper and Rustyroot Snooter. (By the way, they really should change the name of Yellow Junkhopper. I am really, really not interested in a pet that hops my junk, and I donā€™t care if it is yellow.)

But once I caught those two, I had earned the achievement, ā€œTeam Aquashock,ā€ and was rewarded with a new pet, Kelpfin. I donā€™t know how valuable Kelpfin is, as I havenā€™t used him for anything, other than to level him, but heā€™s cute. Especially for a Naga.

I would say the most valuable pet to come from these rewards is Mr. Bigglesworth, who is an undead cat. Not that that narrows it down. Our Dev team seems to be enamored of dead cats, because we have a number of undead cat pets. Like Smoochums, Widget the Departed, Cursed Birmen, Risen Saber Kitten.

But pets like Tito, Venus, Happiness, Amalgam of Destruction, Rescued Fawn, all come from collecting all the pets in a particular expansion or location.

In addition, there are titles, like Zookeeper and Crazy Cat Lady/Man that comes from collecting a certain number of pets from a specific list.

So, there are incentives for collecting all pets, even pets that you may never use.

As for pets that I have three of, there are many. There are teams that I use, which I refer to as my Steamroller Teams, which are three of the same pet which can be relied upon to take down pretty much anything. This is just for when Iā€™m feeling lazy and donā€™t feel like looking up a strat and want something thatā€™s going to wipe out the pet boss or tamer Iā€™m fighting. Itā€™s not typically an elegant solution, but it gets the job done, which is all I care about.

For instance, one of my Steamroller Teams is three P/P Nexus Whelplings. There is very little, if anything that can stand up to that. Especially if my opponents are flyers. I also like to use three Timeless Mechanical Dragonlings for the same reason. Timeless Mechanical Dragonling, in some ways, obviates the need for Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling. And if you want to get a quick forfeit if youā€™re pet battling, just show up with three Singing Sunflowers. Any season pet battler will forfeit when he sees that. The best he can hope for a victory that will take several hours. At worst, itā€™s just a prolonged loss. And it simply isnā€™t worth it to him.

So, I have several Steamrolller Teams, which, again, are three of the same pet that can be relied upon to take down just about any in-game challenge.

ETA. You know, in looking at your pet collection, you probably could defeat Wailing Critters now if you wanted to. You might try leveling up some more Mechanicals, like your Draenei Microdefender. But I suspect youā€™ve got the tools to do this.

2 Likes

I try to collect one of everything, but Iā€™m not worried about collecting 3/3 of each one with different breeds and stuff.

I collect all that I can, but do not get double ups. I dont have any duplicates.

1 Like