Do the upcoming covenant changes actually change anything?

Im leveling my lock alt, so torn and undecided as to what covenant to choose as i really do not like the idea of night fae regardless of benefits.
So… do the upcoming changes make anything else more viable?
This is from a PvP and PvE perspective from one who prefers Dest but also plays Aff. Oddly never played or liked Demo.
Im not good enough on a lock to put all the math together so if someone who is could throw me a bone here i would appreciate it.

With upcoming changes I like venthyr for it’s application in M+, but if you’re focused on Destro and especially Affliction gameplay, Kyrian and Necrolord would be better choices as things stand now with 9.0.5 changes. (The REALLY min/max choice would be Necrolord, but go with what you like lol)

Necrolord: It’s utility is more userfull now, in fact, in specific scenarios it can be very powerfull, the class ability is slightly better too.

Venthyr: Its class ability is closer to the others but the covenant soulbinds don’t ring too well with warlock.

Night Fae: I believe it will still be the best convenant for warlocks.

1 Like

As far as pve goes nf will probably still be best overall since it performs in so many areas and grants mobility

Necro will probably be best st option for destro but that limits it’s scope as well. The shield is pretty solid now.
Kyrian is also workable and has a fun interaction with destro in that it is havoc able so you can get the kill and not kill benefits at the same time.
Ven will probably still be a rp/fun choice only

OK, tomorrow is the day, lol
Ive narrowed it to Necro or Kyrian.
Just cant bring myself to Night Fae and Venthyr is just too terrible.

Night Fae is just better and a more relaxed environment. Soul Rot and Soul Shape are the best there is. They should be permanent Warlock spells—they better be.

the mobility fey gives you is almost must have for pvp imo.

1 Like

This - without it prepare for a lot of 2-3 global cd deletions.

I swapped to Necro, its a different play style for sure but it covers that in between spending chaos bolts a little bit better by adding in some hard hitting incinerates. If you go with the conflag legendary and roaring blaze you can really wreak havoc.

That’s what I’m running and I enjoy it a lot. Mythic + is fun being focused a bit more on things other than just the infernal window.

And in case you did not check out all the Blizzcon updates, Necro will be flying high on a fly soon - such a cool mount.

(Ardenweald got boned on the mount lottery for the new covenant flyers! :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like

They are just so damn dumb that I’m pleased with the NF mounts.
They are nowhere near as cool as the rest but we all need a big doofy antler ferret to ride around on or what have we been spending all this time doing really?

1 Like

This is precisely what i was leaning to.
I understand the mobility of NF is a huge plus, but in looking at the primary skills, not the secondary, adding the lore and asthetics … this makes sense to me.
Im never going to win any arena championship so ill min max to the best of my ability, but i dont feel like i must choose NF.
Especially as one that prefers to play Destro over Aff, although i play both.

I so wanted to go Venthyr, but the affliction ability looked so underwhelming. I don’t necessarily need to min max, but it looked like a significant DPS loss. But the vampire deal really drew me. W/ the upcoming changes to IC, do they look like they will bring Venth w/in a couple % dps to make it a decent pick?

I mean, you can go necro but nf is by far the best. Its bc of the soulbinds and extra mobility. Plus if your struggling with destro numbers you can always go aff. Necro as aff is basement bad.

Most locks hate fairy land, I kno I do, but numbers mean more to me than aesthetics.

Delbert Grady…took me a minute to figure out where I’d heard the name. Hope you are enjoying your stay at the Overlook.

:wink:

If it were a Fel doofy antler feret I could get on board!

I mean that would be objectively better.

In terms of raw DPS, it’s currently within 5% of NF. A 15% buff to the ability changes basically nothing. The problems are that playing without Soulshape feels awful, Door of Shadows is garbage, NF soulbinds are great, and Venthyr soulbinds are worse DPS and require additional hoops.
Maybe we can expect some balance when 9.1 adds more soulbinds. If you want to lose 5% DPS and a great movement option for almost literally nothing in return, go Venthyr :frowning:

Great Party! isn’t it?

Well-stocked bar!

1 Like