Do Kids actually enjoy the Rap Music of today?

Was talking in game about music playlists and this kid tells me he’s into rap and gives me a couple names like someone called NLE Choppa or something. I pulled it up on youtube and this stuff is awful. I can’t even understand a single word they are saying and it’s played over lazy beats. Did hip hop die after the 90’s and early 2000’s?

33 Likes

Get off their lawn old man…

Wait what?

15 Likes
8 Likes

Boomer music is just as bad

8 Likes

Well mumble rap certainty is garbage.

28 Likes

City Girls fan checking in.

2 Likes

Boomer music is classic rock and such right? I wouldn’t say that’s bad.

I might be sensitive though becuase my precious 90s alt music is now considered “classic”, which means I’m officially old now.

23 Likes

Does it even matter what kids enjoy? They’ll grow up, realise their taste was garbage and will start listening 90s hard rock

22 Likes

There’s some legitimate talent sprinkled in here and there, to be honest.

Most of it is so bad it’s hard to wade through it though. I think the crux of rap is pushing the envelope, so the explicit stuff now is full-on degeneracy.

6 Likes

90s and 2000s music is “boomer” music?

6 Likes

I still listen to the same music that I did as a teenager. I think it’s more about brain plasticity than “things are bad now!”.

4 Likes

Hey, to each their own! We all tend to like what we grew up with and liked as kids…that’s pretty normal.

I never cared for rap of any kind, but then when some of the rap/rock combo bands came out (there might be a name for this type of music, i dunno) I thought hey that’s pretty dang cool - Linkin Park, POD (especially), RATM, Limp Bizkit, etc.

2 Likes

I think that definitely plays into it. But I still like new music, maybe you guys can point me to some new rap artists that might fit my 90’s hip hop taste?

That’s the hip hop I listen to, and I’m a Gen-X’er. Boomers’ music is 60’s and 70’s I think.
Now rap is all auto-tune garbage. I HATE auto-tune. And rappers are all obsessed with babies. They are all called 'lil, or baby, or lil baby, or da baby. A couple of babies actually got together and made a song called baby. And then they rap about dripping and other strange things that I have no idea wtf they are talking about. It’s mostly pretty bad.

5 Likes

Hey, I’m also a gen-xer who hates auto-tune!

/fist bump

4 Likes

I think the original was Walk This Way with Aerosmith and Run DMC.

6 Likes

Rap music is good for when you just need background noise to drown out the voices. Granted I usually use metal for that but rap could work too.

5 Likes

Plenty of good Hip Hop out there now, RtJ 4 dropped last month for example.

2 Likes

No idea. I still listen to Coolio. shrug

I do come across good newer songs every now and again, but I don’t really remember the names of the artists.

Don’t know much about 90s but when I think of rap I think of female rap>

City Girls, Doja Cat, Megan thee Stallion, Saweetie, Cupcakke, Nicki still makes my list.

Dababy does make my male rap list, Drake is always in season, both The Weeknd and Partynextdoor give me good vibes not really rap though r&b

Speaking of r&b I love Kehlani!

1 Like