Do high elves have a higher population than blood elves?

Someone else on the forums keeps insisting this to me. They refused to accept the source of"90% of high elves died in the third war 9% became blood elves 1% remained hair elves" is there any other sources in game quests, or references from the devs to this?

That person does not know what they’re talking about. I’d safely ignore them. If you insist on it, ask them where they all are.

19 Likes

If there were more High Elves than Blood Elves, it would be a Quel’dorei majority in Silvermoon and not the other way around.

Although… I would like to roll one of these hair elves you speak of.

7 Likes

There are no high elves.

3 Likes

Then what do you call Vereesa?

5 Likes

Numbers mean nothing in wow.

I saved 12 void elves and in BFA they were marching through the battlefield like

17 Likes

Refugee 10/char

3 Likes

Let me expand a little on this since its brought up a lot recently.

90% of Highelves died and the surviving became Blood elves.

Did just having only 10% restrict them from forming an army of Kaelthas who did campaigns for Illidan in Azeroth and outland? And lead them against the unending hordes of the scourge in Northrend?

Or did just having 10% stop the blood elves spliting between the Lorthemar and Kaelthas factions?
Or did this 10% also stop from forming a demon hunter army?
Or did this 10% have enough people to make up the scryer group?
Or and this remaining 10% stop multiple factions of:

Alliance High Elves
Silver Covenant
Void Elves
Sunreavers
and etc…

Either the 10% of the High Elf population was equal to the entire human population or these 90 or 10 percentage points mean absolutely nothing. If it did actually matter then all these groups would have 20 guys and a dog as members.

9 Likes

Where are you getting the 90% didn’t survive from? Not saying it’s wrong, just trying to see where we’re starting from.

The high elves were once a significant force on the continent, but in recent times their numbers have been dramatically reduced: approximately 90%[8]of their population was slaughtered during the Third War.[9]

6 Likes

No, lmao. The whole reason they call themselves “blood elves” is because the vast, vast majority of their race is meant to be dead. As poor a job as WoW does at actually depicting that population inequality.

The breakdown is pretty straightforward, as Blizzard gave us explicit percentages: 90% of the high elves die in a zombie apocalypse. 90% of the survivors take the name “blood elf” in honor of the fallen. 15% of these blood elves go off with Kael’thas and become the Sunfury, the Scryers, the Illidari etc., while the remaining 85% rebuild Quel’Thalas and comprise the “playable” group of blood elves in WoW. That unaccounted for 10% of non-blood elves can be found in the Alliance, or Dalaran, or just meandering about the world, still calling themselves high elves.

11 Likes

Regardless of the base amount of High Elves that there were prior to Arthas - let’s say that number is represented by “E”, 90% were wipedout by Arthas. That new number is “H”.

Then, about 90% of them renamed themselves “Blood Elves” or “B”, while only 10% or so who never changed their names sided with the Alliance, or “A”

So what ever the exact numbers are, it would look like :

E * .1 = H

H * .9 = B

H * .1 = A

Blood Elves are one of the few examples of pretty specific percentages, if not exact numbers, as far as population and mass deaths.

5 Likes

The Thalassian Elf thing is the perfect example of numbers being meaningless in WoW. You also bring up a good point about Kael’thas forces splitting the reduced Blood Elf numbers even more. I’m pretty sure in WC3 or some book it mentions that his army was in the Thousands.

High Elves are supposed to be this tiny minority yet we from WOLTK onward we’ve seen them all over the place. They were all over Northrend fighting, Pandaria & they had an army at Suramar. Same thing with the BLood Elves too. THey were all over Pandaria, Northrend & had an Army at Suramar.

Void Elves who were an even smaller minority fielded a lot of soldiers all over BFA. Especially in the attack on Nazmir.

Not that it needs to be menioned, but if there was ever a need to justify this in the story, at least for the High Elves of the Alliance, they could just say there was a somewhat sizeable High Elf minority that moved down south to Stormwind as settlers after the 2nd War.

7 Likes

High elf stans are delusional at a level no one in the story forums can comprehend.

30 Likes

Sounds like they’re trolling you.

9 Likes

It’s true that demographics generally mean nothing in WoW. The High/Blood Elves are the most telling example of that, but we could also mention the Tauren who were driven to near extinction by the Centaur, the Bilgewater Goblins who could all fit on Gallywix’s ship, the Exodar Draenei…

However, sometimes it does seem to be a relevant information to the devs, for example they did justify the Quel’dorei not being playable by the fact that their population is so thin and scattered… Which of course is an hilarious point to make when playable Ren’dorei are a thing now LMAO oh well

5 Likes

Eh, I agreed with everything until this part. Because as far as I recall Blizzard never gave number to those who joined Kael or not.

As per Blizzard there are more void elves then high elves(dumb but whatever) assuming that was the case then I would say at least 20% of the elves are Alliance leaning.

1 Like

First line. 85% on Azeroth, 15% on Outland.

I don’t recall them ever outright stating this, more Ion just fumbling to name any particular group of HEs the VEs might have siphoned their numbers from instead (read: forgetting the Silver Covenant exists).

7 Likes

Then my mistake.

Except they didn’t siphon from them, or more precisely they are getting new void elves from both blood and high elves as shown by what is going on in Telargus(the assumption is the majority of them were blood elves because the original void elves were blood elves). also, this was more of a way for Ion to clumsily explain why void elves were a thing and not high elves.

1 Like