Do all cosmic beings reproduce?

Given that renewal is a theme of the next expansion, and because there’s a lot of lore elements that are hinted at but not established, I was wondering if beings of every cosmic force reproduce. So far we have;

• Death: Among the Eternal Ones of the Shadowlands, some of the Venthyr and Nathrezim see Denathrius as their father. Renathal and Denathrius almost have a father-son vibe.
  • Light: We learnt that Naaru can reproduce in Legion (part of the lore revealed via “everyone’s favorite Naaru” lol), as perhaps “Light Mother” was a literal title as the Naaru O’ros had a mother and was descended from the Prime Naaru Xe’ra.
  • Life: The Wild Gods have definitely reproduced (Malorne and Cenarius are just two examples).
  • Fel: Among demons, the Imp Mothers definitely reproduce. Not sure if Man’ari Eredar can reproduce or if Fel sterilizes them.
  • Arcane: The Titans spawn from planets, but can be male or female. There’s also arcane entities that appear like Aluneth.
  • Void: As far as I know, there’s nothing about Old Gods or Void races like the K’thir and N’raqi being able to reproduce (unless assimilation via mutation is how they reproduce).

I don’t think they all need to, nor do I think it shouldn’t be in the story. I’m just curious if there’s anything I missed.

I would imagine that it depends.

Death? Beyond the native species? No. The Kyrian, Venthyr, etc are created through souls that are transported to their various afterlives, so it’s highly unlikely that they can physically reproduce.

Life and Light? Yes.

Fel? Beyond a few species of demon? Probably not.

Arcane? No, probably not.

Void? No.

Old Gods spawn Aqir and N’raqi from their Bodies in Chronicle don’t forget so that is their form of reproduction even if they don’t create more “Queens” for their Hives.

2 Likes

I did consider that. Do the Aqir and N’raqi count as reproduction? Since the Old Gods aren’t creating more of themselves? Or are they more like a fleshy version of the Titanforged? In that case, is making Titanforged how the Titans reproduce? You make a good point, I think it could be either or both.

I’m just not sure which it could be. What do you think?

1 Like

There are species in death that do reproduce though, the native species atleast. Devourers reproduct. The animals in bastion definitely reproduce same as hte ones in Ardenweald. The brokers are also seemingly capable of reproduction and they seem like a native species to the worlds of death.

Announcer: Today in the story Forum “Do Naaru have sex?” Inquiring virgin minds want to know.

Yep, the native species of the Shadowlands do reproduce, or at least some of them do. Stewards would, as would the Sylvar and the Vorkai or Ardenweald, who are both native to the Shadowlands. But Dredgers and Gargoyles of Revendreth do not.

Stewards are super adorable. I wish I could adopt them all :dracthyr_heart:

2 Likes

Could fleshcrafting in Maldraxxus be considered a form of reproduction? It’s partially inspired by the creation of Frankenstein’s monster in the book of the same name, which had that as one of its themes.

Of course, there are many methods of reproduction, so quite a few reproduce. I was worried this thread would derail into smut or accusations of smut, but for the most part so far so good.

No.

No undead being can reproduce. It’s simply not possible. Fleshcrafting does not count. That’s creating new bodies for souls to inhabit, not actually creating new life.

I wasn’t sure myself. I’d asked because when I read your last comment, it reminded me of the novel Frankenstein.

Yeah there are similarities to Frankenstein, so I see where you’re coming from. Especially with the doctor yelling: “It’s alive! It’s alive!!”

But yeah, creating life in that manner is not really the same as ‘reproduction’. Technically the Forsaken used to be able to create new Forsaken via the Val’kyr, but that wasn’t ‘reproduction’ as the Forsaken cannot procreate.

When people think “Can these things reproduce?”, in my experience what they’re actually thinking is: “Can they have sex and can children be born from that sexual act?” Which is the most commonly accepted form of reproduction.

And while most Shadowlands races can have sex (or at least I imagine they could) only the native species can reproduce I think. So the Sylvar and the Vorkai can most likely reproduce as they’re a species native to Ardenweald, but the Kyrian and the Venthyr can probably only have sex, no reproduction via offspring.

Spot on.

I wasn’t thinking sex when it came to reproduction, as asexual reproduction exists both in fiction and real-life (though it takes a lot more forms in fiction). Closest thing to sex that’s in Shadowlands is, if I recall, there’s a Venthyr Harvester in Revendreth who seems to have a low-key lust motif.

Reproduction is kind of antithetical to their whole bringing the world to nonexistence theme. They’re muli-faceted unkillable Lovecraft entities that exist in multiple planes at the same time so it’s not like they have the need. (all that happens when you do “kill” them is that you ban them from manifestation on a given plane for a time.)

1 Like

Um, no? The Void wants to take over the cosmos, not destroy everything including thenselves. There are old Gods on other planets, so it’s possible their “reproduction” is simply the Void Lords creating more. As for the Azerothian Old Gods, G’huun even has mobs called “Dark Young.” Reproduction is not out of the question. Also, what happens to Old Gods when they die is bit unclear nowadays.

1 Like

I’d have to differ in that regard. While the lore may have changed / been expanded upon. The Void Lords from my understanding want to do this exact thing. Void, or a Void is the absence of something. It is by definition, “Nothing”. For the Void to consume all matter, is to destroy it. Ultimately when there is “Nothing” left for them to consume, their hunger will turn in on itself until they destroy themselves.

Don’t mind me. I’m pretty much always wrong anyway.

Not wrong, just maybe misinformed. The Void is a very deep and confusing convoluted concept. The Void Lords exist in their own plane but want to come into ours. The problem with that is that the logic quickly breaks down. It is said they cannot exist in the material plane and this is 100% true; even though we’ve supposedly fought one back in BC.

A “void” is the absence of something. You can have a void, but the void itself isn’t something, and yet it is defined as something. The absence of something. Think of it like the taste of water. Wait, water doesn’t have a taste you say. Exactly, the absence of taste is its taste. When something “tastes like water” it’s because it doesn’t taste like it should, but also doesn’t taste like anything else. When water has a taste, it is described as something else. often times what may be in the water. “This water taste like dirt” “This water has a metalic, maybe copper taste to it” “This water is fruit flavored.” etc…

The void exists as the absence of something that should be there but isn’t. Non-existence is its existence. But if it exists, than it isn’t Void, and the circle keeps going around and around. For the Void to reproduce more void it has to destroy/remove something from reality. Something that exists as non-existence.

My head hurts now…

1 Like

The aqir are an odd case for the Void. K’thir and some n’raqi are derived from the corruption of other beings, with neither being shown to have a self-contained mechanism for propagation. Plus the n’raqi in particular are often treated as much like they’re sentient appendages of their associated Old Gods as fully- self-actualized “people.” The aqir however, despite originating from the same organic Old God seepage as the n’raqi, seemed to either evolve or start out with their own internal means of laying eggs to reproduce, which also persist among their nerubian, mantid, qiraji and silithid offshoots (likely kunchong are aqir-descended as well, given their shared physiology with aqir goliaths and silithid colossi.) Though it’s possible only a certain type of aqir actually produces eggs; their species contains a broad range of very different physical “types” (from which numerous of the offshoot races’ myriad forms are derived) but it’s unclear if each aqir type lays its own eggs to make more of its kind, or if there’s a certain dedicated breed of aqir that exists only to lay the eggs that produce all of the others. One sees aqir eggs scattered around BfA’s Uldum, but it’s never shown who or what is actually laying them, so they may be produced somewhere else by something we’ve never encountered and carried out to infest the surroundings by the worker types.

1 Like

Lets not forget Elementals — Various Elemental Lords have their own ‘children’.

As for the Void – The Old Gods were created via Void Lords pooling their power together to create them & sprawl them forth in the cosmos.

"When two Void Lords love corrupting with eachother very very much … They get the tentacles out. :wink: "