DK Talent Tree Preview

There is another one:

Might of Thassarian: Increases Strength chance by [2/4]%. Two Rank Talent.”

Strength Chance. :joy:

1 Like

I posted in the CC thread about it - they clearly messed up a Copy/Paste - it has the same description as Blood’s Tier 3 Talent Foul Bulwark.

Killing Machine on live is: “Your auto attack critical strikes have a chance to make your next Obliterate deal Frost damage and critically strike.” so I assume it’s still the same. Just a C/P error.

Also, just to note, cause it was brought up in GD - I do not actively play DK but I still gave feedback on the talents, from my perspective - keep in mind there are DK CC members like Letholas who will give their feedback as well. Seeing feedback from all sorts of players is important, as it gives the devs an idea of why people do or don’t play something.

I have 5 death knights at 50 (though most are deleted >_>) so I do know the class. Lol. But the Shadowlands playstyle just hasn’t been appealing at all, as I mentioned.

3 Likes

Stoked Frostwhelps are back!

1 Like

It seems odd that there is like, almost nothing new for either classes. I get what they are going for, but they seriously couldn’t add some new stuff mixed in with the current?

2 Likes

I’ll apologize for my previous insulting comment. I just like seeing the qol stuff that people have been asking for for a while now. I do understand the concerns with some things, but the qol changes to me, is too much for me to just wave off the talent trees as just bad right out of the gate.

They’re on the right track though and with some improvements it’ll be even better.

i don’t see anything wrong with the system or tree design, that looks solid, the issue is what spells they filled the talent slots with. things that synergize in gameplay seem to compete in rows, things that were baseline are now talents, talents players wanted baseline are still talents.

this shakes up the current design while not really changing much over how we currently play other than to add a few things here and there. if anything it feels like the potential of the tree is underutilized, give us all our baseline stuff baseline and fill the trees with all new talents and abilities that let us do wild and crazy things. example, where is the enhanced lichform that lets you transform into an actual lich and shoot deathbolts and superdeathcoils at everything?

4 Likes

Not sure how that will work out considering how popular Deathborne is for mage :grimacing:

If that give something like that to dks without even bringing db back for mage, there will be drama.

Letholas needs to know a couple of following things. I’ll mark my own feedback in a symbols that you’ll probably know what they stand for:

The Pros

• (+) Chill Streak in Frost Talent Tree is awesome!
  • (+) Implying that Empower Rune Weapon is going to be stackable. Which is also awesome. I really hope that’s the case otherwise the talent placement of this cooldown is interesting.
  • (+) Shadowfrost Soul Reaper! Yay!
  • (+) Festermight returns and Icy Citadel (Now called Enduring Strength) returns in a different form!
  • (+) Pestilence is not competing against Defile and Unholy Pact anymore
  • (+) Choice of Runic Restoration (Empowerment or Corruption) is nice, although more options for this would be even more nice.
  • (+) Absolute Zero in a Talent Row! :open_mouth:
  • (+) Death Coil (Death Rot and Improved Death Coil) sending 2 of them at once and burst them festering wuunds sounds very nice as well! More interactions with Festering Wuunds with your overall kit and resource is very welcoming.
  • (+) Blinding Sleet class talent seems pog.
  • (+) Death’s Due’s legacy lives on in Improved Death and Decay.

The Cons

• (-) NO NECROTIC PLAGUE. :angry:
  • (-) So many “talent abilities” are actually baseline abilities we use in current iteration such as Mind Freeze, Death Strike, Raise Dead, AMS, IBF, Death’s Advance, Chains of Ice, Blood Boil, Marrowrend, Howling Blast, Obliterate, Scourge Strike and Raise Dead. Do we really need to spend points allocating them to retain what we have in the first place?
  • (-) Unleashed Frenzy still tied to Frost Strike and only Frost Strike.
  • (-) Might of the Frozen Waste should include Frostscythe for 30% Damage Increase. Otherwise, for damage optimization both are mutually exclusive.
  • (-) Blood Scent and Suppression are boring and is designed the worst way possible: You have to take them in order to advance deeper parts of the tree as well as visiting neighboring rows. Merciless Strikes and Thassarian’s Might are also stat increases, but they’re okay since they’re not as contingent as Blood Scent and Suppression. Plus Merciless Strikes has potential with Cold-Blooded Rage.
  • (-) Death Pact should sacrifice a minion like a good ol’ days and remove Sacrificial Pact.
  • (-) The fact that Slappy Hands is locked behind Blood Draw is going to feel really bad for Dks that maximize damage. It’s going to be a serious opportunity costs for Frost and Unholy Dks that want to gain access to this ability.
  • (-) Avalanche vs Frozen Pulse - Unless Frozen Pulse is tuned correctly, this seems a bit one-sided hex talent.
  • (-) Bursting Sores vs Ebon Fever - No one in the right mind would pick Ebon Fever unless Virulent Plague does a lot of damage for some reason.
  • (-) Death’s Reach vs Grip of the Dead - Death Grip Reset and Death and Decay Slow are two completely different utilities. Why are they in a mutually exclusive Choice Talent?
  • (-) Where are Shackle the Unworthy and Swarming Mists? Are you telling me that Non-meta covenants have potential to be yeeted? Because as Seasons Pally, that would worry me.
  • (-) Glacial Advance is just out there… Alone. Really hope it tunes up like Epidemic and end up worth using that otherwise Runic Power will still feel odd to use.

The Neus

• (0) I really hope Gary sees the light of day from this…
  • (0) More ways to restore runes would be nice other than Runic Empowerment and Runic Corruption. I remember Blood Tap was a thing. Another thing would be nice too would be called Runic Conduit that works like Soul Conduit for Warlocks.
  • (0) Proliferating Chill seems very strong in arenas. If it works with Cold Heart, even better. But you have to spend points in Chains of Ice, referencing Con bullet #2.
  • (0) Couldn’t Blood Dks generate Bone Shield outside of Combat besides Marrowrend?
  • (0) Obliteration vs Icecap - This would feel bad but as I see the talents in Frost tree, I’ll let this slide. Icecap has a huge potential now.
  • (0) Unholy getting a passive that is reminescent of Merciless Combat (X% more damage to targets below 35% health) is odd to me.
  • (0) I kinda hoped that talents like Anti-Magic Barrier have various passives for each spec. For it with Blood, Mirror Ball with Frost and Spell Eater for Unholy. Let each spec improve AMS in a different way.

My rating from the current iteration of the tree would be 6/10. 7 if I’m feeling really generous.

8 Likes

i loved MoP blood tap, it was essentially the dk version of driving a stickshift.

3 Likes

The only way gary can compete or even be looked at by players is for that percentage damage boost to be raised. The percent is not justifiable for the cd of that ability and even then it still needs to be increased.

or use a mix of lowering the CD and increasing the spell duration in order to add some gameplay around keeping him up as long as possible, that % gain would really add up if you can keep him going for 300 seconds.

3 Likes

if you like frost dk now you will like it in dragonglight.

Druids especially are getting a lot of fun stuff back. They’re already aoe machines in pvp, and they can specialize even further into that. Plus, Orbit Breaker is great.

Frost DKs will be happy with whelps.

I’m optimistic about talent trees pending tuning passes and updates.

Edit: Also want to point out that certain abilities or talents might end up being like they are in the Druid tree: Learned when you’re a certain specialization. As of now, it looks to be they didn’t put that footnote for dks but might just be an oversight. Feedback is important nonetheless :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s called Might of Thassarian because it might give you strength. :joy:

12 Likes

No necrotic wounds or strike?

1 Like

It’s important to analyze the Class and Spec tree having in mind that you’ll have 31 class points and 30 spec points.

My feedback so far for the Frost DK talents:

• Bring back Death’s Due

• I really like the blue runic circle, the strength buff, and the 2-target interaction is interesting in many occasions (although the 2-target cleave is indeed being preserved with Improved Death and Decay). Its interaction with Phearomones is also really cool

• Bring back Rampant Transference

• Just like Phearomones, the increased RP gain while standing on top of Death’s Due promotes some very exciting moments while playing the spec

• Add a link from Frostwyrm’s Fury (row 9) to Obliteration/Icecap and Breath of Sindragosa (row 10)

• basically meaning that, if you go either oblit/icecap or breath of sindragosa, you can choose between cold-blooded rage and frostwyrm’s fury (oblit) and frostwyrms fury and invigorating freeze (breath), allowing you to skip invigorating freeze if you wish so, depending on your idea for a talent build

• Change Glacial Advance into how it works as procced by 4-set tier (not as an active spell, but rather as a passive that fires a glacial advance whenever Killing Machine is consumed)

• that way it can also be used with Breath builds, and allowing to use other runes like Hysteria, making the class as a whole more engaging

• Forgeborne Reveries

• in many moments in Shadowlands, the Forgeborne Reveries passive from Bonesmith Heirmir allowed me to clutch battle rez other party members, or even tank for a while. Not to mention that fighting as an armor anchored to my character’s soul fits the Death Knight fantasy so much. It would be awesome to see it being preserved.

Other than that, really loved to see what’s on the table

Been playing since 2007 and the way Frost DK plays in Shadowlands Season 3, with either Obliteration or Breath of Sindragosa, is the most fun, the most thrilling experience I’ve ever had with the class+spec, surpassing Nighthold. Hope to see more of that in 10.0.

6 Likes

This exists in Improved Death and Decay. Although I’ll miss Blue DnD and the strength buff.

1 Like

Am I the only one here thinking…really Blizzard? The 4th expansion in a row of Breath of Singdraosa?

sigh

13 Likes

Good observation, I missed Improved Death and Decay. But yeah, the blue runic circle was REALLY cool and really fit with Frost’s fantasy, and the strength buff (also the Phearomones legendary!) were very cool

Hope there will be a glyph for it.

Hopefully.

Also RIP Rampant Transference.

1 Like