DK Shadowlands Changes...2H Frost! :D

Just curious, why do you think that? Just going off of the information we have now.

Flarkness, I appreciate your positivity.

5 Likes

in previous expansions, 2h tended to be really good early because it scaled well with weapon damage. as we’ve talked about, it’s really hard to tell rn tho.

@dreadmoore i’m glad brother! I’m very excited.

4 Likes

And now that the damage difference just based on the weapon set used is almost non-existent? 266 weapons being 15 damage apart? 440ish weapons being less than 200 damage apart?

finally bringing back my dk out of retirement. I’ve been playing frost dk since the wrath beta and Legion ruined my spec. frankly dw should never have been an option to begin with for deathknights.

6 Likes

Rune of Icefall!

2 Likes

Rune of the Frozen Crusader.

2 Likes

Stop lying. Razorice is like 1% of my total dmg.

Wow, way to know how Razorice works. 2 thumbs up!

Wait… thats now how it works? You mean Razorice only shows up in logs due to the 183% extra weapon damage as frost damage and not the 15% increase in frost damage so you cant actually look at how much razorice is doing in things like recount?

Aww, looks like people shouldnt talk when they dont know what Razorice does.

With Obliterate having frost damage now, it will be interesting to see how that interacts with 2h Frost DPS.

It would be fun to see huge Obl crits melting plate-wearers.

2 Likes

None at all due to how ability damage is calculated.

Hrm, that’s interesting.

Razorice causes

“Affixes your weapon with a rune that causes (1.053% of Attack power)% extra weapon damage as Frost damage and increases enemies’ vulnerability to your Frost attacks by 3%, stacking up to 5 times.

And, now that Obl does Frost dmg, it would logically interact with their mastery

“Increases the damage of your Frost abilities by 16.0%.”

So, how exactly does it have no effect? :thinking:

2 Likes

2h doesnt use Razorice, never has. Fallen Crusader is really important, up to this point at least, and every dk spec uses since 15% strength is much too important.

If anything this change just helps DW more because they get access to fallen crusader, razorice and mastery.

If you have every played D3, just as an example, a lot of the builds, and I mean a lot, are based around DW or having 2 weapons, main hand off hand, dw berserker, 2h and shield for the crusader, because having that extra legendary power is huge.

Its the same with wow, if 2h and DW both have damage output that is almost identical before razorice and fallen crusader, then having more for that weapon set is just flat out better. You can test it right now, go equip a 2h and then equip DW (try to get as close to the same ilvl and stats as possible) and it not even worth arguing over. If you could have used a 2h this expansion DW would have still been ahead.

This has been the case since wrath. These issues that I have listed before over and over again havent changed since then, the question is why didnt blizzard tackle the actual issues?

Just stop right there.

Firstly, This is now alpha.

Secondly, 2H never used Razorice because 2h focused on Obl damage. Obl never did frost damaged before, so it made no sense to use razorice. In Shadowlands, 2h Frost will now have an Obl with frost damage. As such, Razorice may be in the card now. We will have to wait and see how the final form of the class pans out and how the damage calculations pan out.

Edit: Corrected “2h focused on frost damage” to “2h focused on Obl damage”

3 Likes

2h didnt focus on frost damage even though that was the majority of the kit. In the expansions people point to, it focused on the 1 physical damage ability.

And even if 2h did use razorice, then its missing Fallen Crusader which provids 15% str which is huge.

You dont even have to look at the damage to see that if 2h doesnt have one of the 2 runeforges that DW has access to then it will just be behind, period. Its in its design. No amount of numbers tweaking is going to solve for that.

And that design fallacy was just fixed. So now 2h Frost can equally focus on frost damage. This is why Razorice may be in the cards now.

2 Likes

i think you’re missing the inherent point being made. dual wield benefits from both 15% strength and 15% more frost damage. Strength is still going to be top dog in terms of stat weights so at this point you are forced into taking fallen crusader for 2h. mastery will be slightly better for 2h now yes but its damage is going to be lower than dual wields inherently because majority of frosts kit is still frost damage

That is a fair point, and why I am saying Razorice may have a chance and why I am also pointing out that it is still alpha.

Given the fact that Bliz has added Frost to Obl, something they have never done in such a significant way, tells me that they are likely trying to equalize the separate weapon sets. I am guessing they will be looking at the damage outputs of DW and Frost in the coming months and tuning accordingly. Who knows, maybe they will simply allow 2handers to use 2 runeforges

3 Likes

im more surprised at that change than anything since they previously stated that they didnt just want all of frosts kit benefitting from mastery. obliterate was the last holdout ability. a welcome change as the ability has never scaled well with anything but weapon damage.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see where that take that change.