DK restriction question on WOTLK

So from what I understand, the first DK on a server that isn’t new has no restriction. Any DK made after that must be on a different server and require a level 55 character to make. So if I understand this correctly, does that mean I could have made a DK on another server first that I have no characters on and then make another one on a server I do have 70s on? If that is true, then why was that restriction put in place for servers where you already have a 55 or higher character on? I made a DK on my main server when they went live. I just tried to make another DK on a different server that I have no characters on. It said I needed to have a level 55 character to do that.

My question is, how is this at all fair? Because I missed one detail on the DK restriction I now have to level a character to 55 to make another DK despite the fact I already had max level characters on my main server. Had I known this I would have made the DK on the other server first and THEN made my DK on my main server after. For the life of me I can’t see why you did it this way unless I am misunderstanding something. I feel like I am being punished for simply not knowing or remembering 1 detail about DKs. I don’t feel like this is fair at all. I shouldn’t have to level a character to 55 on a different server first if my first DK was made on the server that already had level 70s on it. I am pretty freaking frustrated about this. So is that it? Is it because I decided to make my DK on the server I already have 70s on first I can’t make my other DK until the server I am doing it on has a 55 first? I really don’t like this.

The one free DK was to tie in the the promotion complete the DK starting area get a free mount in reatail. Now as to the restriction that was how it was originaly in the Original WOTLK and wasnt removed till later its all about keeping the authentic feel of the original.

1 Like

I know that is how it was in the original WOTLK. I played it. What I am frustrated about right now is that it seems like I could have made a new DK on a server I have no characters on first and then made another one on my main server after. Now that I made my first DK on my main server, I now have to level a character to 55 first on another server. All because I didn’t remember 1 detail?

Because those were the restrictions when DK’s were initially introduced. Death Knights are meant to be a “Hero Class”, which is why they start at 55. It’s to make sure that a new player doesn’t jump in at level 55 and not know a thing about how to play.

You mean treating everyone the same, ensuring they all put in the same work to level to 55 at least once? Yes.

Yep. Those are the restrictions.

Now, I thought I saw a different thread where a player deleted the unrestricted DK and regained their ability to create it again. But there also may be other factors which made that possible.

2 Likes

Yes. The restrictions are well-known and well-publicized.

Well, some kind of good news for you. If you delete the DK you made on your “home” server, you can then have your ‘unlocked’ DK to roll on any other non-fresh start server.

4 Likes

You completely misunderstood my post. Every single word of it.

I already know WHY the 55 restriction is there. My question is WHY does that restriction apply if the FIRST DK I made was on the server I ALREADY have max level characters on? Shouldn’t it have been the other way around? Like first DK on server without a 55+ character is free and then a 55+ is required after?

I’m going to repeat this that was posted by Leilleith. If you read the restrictions, it’s pretty clear. It’s your choice whether to make one on a different server than your main server.

3 Likes

While thats well and good, it requires me to delete a character I’ve already made and leveled with a friend who I am still leveling with. My friend would then have to wait for me to make a new DK and get to the point we were at before. My problem with this is it feels like it was done backwards. It should not have been done this way. The “free” DK should still be available if you made a DK on servers you already have 55+ characters on.

Well that’s not how it works. I guess neither you nor your friend read the rules?

Because that is how the Devs decided it should be. That’s it.

This is a forum for players to help other players. You’re asking things that need to be directed towards the Devs - the ones who make these decisions. Those Devs? They do not come here. At all. Zip. Nada. Never. You have to post those things you’re taking issue with in the WotLKC General Discussion forum. You likely will not get a Blue response, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not being read. And too, those Devs don’t have to clarify the ins and outs of why they make the decisions that they do. They’ve decided this is how they want the DKs to work. Period.

You’ve got the solution to your problem that I’ve given you. It’s up to you whether to take advantage of the ‘loophole’ to roll on a fresh server. You admit right off the bat you missed that caveat. So your mistake. But you’re not without recourse here, as you initially thought you were. You don’t have to like the answer, but it is an answer.

2 Likes

This is my problem, not my friends. I stated an inconvenience so please take your assumptive attitude somewhere else. I have a problem with this because if you make a DK on the server you already have a 55+ character on then that should not negate your ability to make a DK on another server that you don’t. It should be the other way around. This seems like something people get to take advantage of if they read the DK info page or simply remembered that 1 detail before doing it. It isn’t fair.

Was it stated anywhere beforehand that if you create a DK on a server you already have 55+ characters on that you wouldn’t get the free DK on another server after?

As much as we see this argument come up with quite literally everything Blizzard offers the playerbase, I wonder if they’d have any room left for the actual game if this were a reality. :thinking:

1 Like

There is a sticky right on the WotLKC General Discussion. It leads to a video/article that was posted August 29th. Then there was another news article that was posted back July 20th.

3 Likes

Ok… so basically I had to assume that if I made my DK on my main server with max levels first that I couldn’t make the restriction free DK after on a different server where I don’t have 55+ characters on. My understanding was you got 1 restriction free DK first and then the ones you make after require a 55+ character to make somewhere else. I didn’t know you lost the restriction free DK if you made your first one on your main server first. That is what I didn’t understand. It just wasn’t clear to me.

Basically what I’m saying is, I didn’t know the “restriction free” DK was the one you made first regardless of where you made it. I didn’t think the one you made on a server you already have max level characters on counted as the “restriction free” one because I already met the requirements on that server.

I’m sorry that it wasn’t quite so clear for you, but that is just how they decided to do this. I actually didn’t even realize it until I saw the previous thread I linked on here that came up the other day, but then I was only rolling one for the mount. It was a nice boon, even realizing it after the fact, because back in the original Wrath you did have to have a 55 already on that realm before you could roll a DK there each time.

Still, by all means put a post up in the WotLKC General Discussion, or reply to the sticky post, or the article threads linked. Or use the in-game suggestions/feedback interface. It’s on the late side now, but it is good that they’ve got the feedback to try and make sure things are explained and clear for future dealings.

1 Like

Yea… clarity is always nice. Had I known the “restriction free” DK also applied to the first one you made on realms where you already had 55+ characters I would’ve made the restriction free one first. I thought about just deleting the first one I made and sending all my stuff over to the new one since my friend won’t be online again for a few days but then I realized I have 4 primal mooncloth bags equipped on that DK and yea thats not happening. It took me months to do all those transmutes in TBC to make those!