Dispelling the "water ambush" myth

Tbh the game will feel like retail garbage without 400 MS batching.

Just the facts.

Scubanoobs 4 da win!
When this came up after the demo I laughed so hard.

If it was so common place and such a tried and true tactic. We would have heard about long before now.
14 years later LOL

3 Likes

Good catch… 5:25 is a pretty good example of it, you don’t see his body below the surface.

I will concede that it doesn’t appear consistently like that in the rest of Joanna’s video guides for other sources of water…

There are plenty of things you likely didn’t know about during actual vanilla… Very few ferals knew about manual crowd pummeler and wolf’shead helm, for example… Not many people knew the jump path into Hjyal from Winterspring… 99% of rogues couldn’t apply expose armor without breaking sap… Only a small handful of warlocks ever figured out the lock invulnerability exploit before it was nerfed… etc…

Just because YOU didn’t know about it, doesn’t mean it didn’t exist…

That said, OP could very well be correct and it merely was a settings thing that allowed it to work at all… I know I personally used the water visibility thing described multiple times in vanilla successfully… but I don’t have any way of knowing if any of the people who it worked on had potato computers/low settings, or even more simply… just didn’t have their camera facing the direction I approached from (which realistically, most of your PvP threats wouldn’t come from the ocean or a river)

2 Likes

While yes everything you listed was not “well known at the time”.
All of it was known enough that people did obviously pass the info around.
This however took 14 years to be “known” and now that OP has brought up the settings I could see how some may have had some success with this.

Which if people have success with this tactic some community memebers would have talked about how they got ganked by aqua rambo.

I just don’t see it as what some tried hyping it up as.
Could work but a lot could go wrong tactically with this as well.
Especially with enemy nameplates being a thing. LOL

3 Likes

Nameplate visibility was also significantly lower in vanilla than it is in a modern client. Was actually something that annoyed the living hell out of me when I tried vanilla again on Pservers… to be clear, I don’t mean the ability to see a nameplate when it pops up, I mean the actual range at which the nameplate even shows up to you. In current game it’s almost max visible range… On Pservers… it was seemingly almost within casting range, if not closer.

I can’t specifically remember how authentic that is, however… Pservers might have been artificially pushing fog of war type stuff like that to keep things easier to load. Or it could have just been a terrible addon… or lack of a good one. It’s more along the lines of nitty gritty mechanical things that you don’t necessarily notice much until they’re suddenly very different (like jumping from retail to a pserver)

1 Like

I just checked this on BfA, it appears that the water in rivers is actually less transparent than the water in the sea. Here’s a clip where you can clearly see a turtle under the water: https://youtu.be/8lKFNczM-wY?t=633

River and sea comparison on BfA, Ultra setting:
https://i.imgur.com/ZKoN8FY.png

It is, I can clearly spot that turtle plus the rocks extending into the water. However, is there anything in the river water to even try to spot?
Edit: I can see the rocks extending into the water on the river side too, of course. It is more opaque. Having a creature would be nice. I’m nitpicking I guess.

Doesnt matter why it worked, its only important that it did work. Most PVPers had water set to low to improve their overall performance and that’s something many of us were quite prepared to take advantage of.

You can’t dispel a myth that doesn’t exist… using water to hide in, whether it was to evade a gank or to propogate a gank was a legitimate tactic we used all the time.

1 Like

As we speak, a guy is out there waiting to gank you. He’s submerged in a nearby pond covered in camouflage with a snorkel barely peeking out of the water.

3 Likes

Ofc on pservers the distance was different. They messed with draw distances and everything else they could tweak to allow 10k+ pops.
Yes draw distance was shorter in Vanilla than current live but I don’t think it was as low as pservers.

And it’ll be a tactic in Classic if people are using the old water effects, since you can’t see anything beneath the service. At least during the demo you couldn’t. Hence, you’ll put yourself at a disadvantage if you don’t use the new effects.

So besides the lack of authenticity, and clashing of aesthetic styles, the new water effects give a balance advantage. All the more reason they should be taken completely out of Classic.

3 Likes

haven’t played retail in a looong time enough to really be able to comment then

Completely agree. I enjoy the old models and such but this is a total non-issue.

1 Like

I think people are getting to upset over
things that have not been confirmed as going in the game or not.

If your primary concern is authenticity, then you should be glad I posted my discoveries. There’s something different between the low water setting on Modern WoW and the water in the patch 1.12 videos I linked. The low water setting on Modern WoW is opaque everywhere I go. During 1.12, either that was not the case or there were higher water settings that increased the transparency.

If there’s videos of the Classic demo showing the shore in Westfall, maybe we can determine whether or not the Classic water setting was using the Modern low water setting or if it was more like the setting in the 1.12 videos I linked.

Here’s a screenshot I just took on BfA, the only thing you can see of me are the lights on my T3 shoulders: https://i.imgur.com/oJYMEPS.png

Another screenshot but with my T3 shoulders off and the hilt of my sword above water to contrast with the lack of transparency underneath: https://i.imgur.com/Fem6F5N.png

Now compare that to the video I linked in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usYjTsUVIA

There’s something different between the water Joana is displaying in 1.12 and the low water setting on BfA, which is what I believe they may have used as the Classic water setting on the Classic demo. In my quest to discredit the water ambush argument against Modern water, I instead found what could be another inconsistency. We just need some video of the ocean on the Classic demo.

Go get a friend and have them take a dive in some 1.12 water. Spot their name through that opaque surface. Then come back and lie to me about how you could totally see it and that it wouldn’t have had any use in PvP even if you could not.

It’s almost like you didn’t spend more than 5 seconds reading the thread. :clap:

This only surfaced after people saw the changed water textures… you’d have to be a psycho to sit in the water all day waiting to gank. Maybe it ruins it for the .0001% of people who rp as a mermaid

1 Like

I’m not upset. I’m offering Blizzard feedback. And I hope they take it into consideration. The original water fits the world, fits the theme, fits the authenticity nature of Classic, and of course you don’t have to worry about the balance implications between choosing water you can see through vs. water you can’t see through.

Did you even read my thread, Mogar? Here’s another video for you: https://youtu.be/t9-p76s-G5k?t=6629

If you’re looking to make all of the water in Classic opaque, you’re asking for a change. Read this entire thread and maybe we can figure this out.

Here’s an excerpt from your thread:

Here’s what the water in your screenshots looked like in 2006: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0BPUXwqpeg&feature=youtu.be&t=3230

Now, what I’m trying to figure out is if the Modern low water setting that you’ve shown was also in the Classic demo, is also the low setting from Vanilla WoW or if it’s actually a different low-res setting that didn’t exist in Vanilla. Maybe there’s another reason why the water is transparent in many places in these videos and it’s NOT transparent in those same places on the Classic demo and Modern WoW.

I haven’t edited my OP or following posts, because I want to leave my trail of thoughts and discoveries in their original state. The outcome of this thread is that I’ve discovered an inconsistency with the Classic water setting on the Classic demo and videos of actual Vanilla WoW footage.