Discipline Mechanic idea…

So I read this post on the EU forums and got inspired for a Discipline healing mechanic that I pulled from a healer called a Vestal from Darkest Dungeon 2.

EU post:

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/disc-priests-need-desperate-attention-from-the-devs-one-that-was-promised/437222/34

7- permanent atonement: we need atleast one and should be able to talent into 2 of them. so we could have perma atonement on both tanks in raids. if it costs talent points it’s balanced.

Darkest Dungeon 2: Vestal spell idea source…

Consecration of Light

Applied to a rank, granting offensive Tokens to the Hero occupying the rank. Does not stack with other Consecrations.

Consecration of Fortitude

Applied to a rank, granting defensive Tokens to the Hero occupying the rank. Does not stack with other Consecrations.

So now my idea for how it would work for Discipline.

Mantra of Concentration

• Place a Mantra of Concentration on a party member. Each time they attack, 15% of the damage they deal heals them and refreshes their atonement. Does not stack with other Mantras.

Mantra of Fortitude

• Place a Mantra of Fortitude on a party member. Each time they are attacked, 15% of the damage they take heals them and refreshes their atonement. Does not stack with other Mantras.

So this is just the initial idea but what it basically does is you place a buff on a party member similar to the Holy Paladin Beacon of Light where the result is passive healing based on the Mantra effect as well as self refreshing atonement.

Each Mantra can only be used on a single target similar to Beacon of Light so at most you can have 2 targets with a Mantra on them but you can move the Mantra to a different target as much as you want.

Modification Ideas…

• Baseline?
  • Choice Talent between both Mantras.
  • Both Mantras able to be taken. Then a follow up choice node to empower either or both Mantras.
    • Increased healing received from Mantra effect.
    • Applies Atonement instead of refreshing it.
    • Split the effectiveness of the Mantra but allowed to place multiple of the same Mantra.

PvP Empowerment idea

• Mantra of Battle
    • Mantra of Concentration: 5% chance per attack dealt to suppress all movement impairment effects while atonement is active.
    • Mantra of Fortitude: 5% chance per attack received grants 15% damage reduction while atonement is active.

I’m not well versed in the modern discipline playstyle. But I wanted to share the idea all the same.

3 Likes

Sounds similar to what I’ve been hankering for. Good idea. I can see areas where maintaining it would be more of an issue than just Renew spamming a tank, though (boss swaps, phase intermissions, between pulls) so I feel it would be worthwhile to just make it a permanent buff with no upkeep.
Also, 15% is way too powerful.

The maintaining issue again was just the initial baseline way it works.

That’s why in my suggested modifications I noted that it could just self apply atonement instead of refreshing it.

Just giving options is all.

As far as the strength of it being at what I listed as 15%, that was just a number I threw down. No idea what the best number would be. But also consider that if something like this was implemented, numbers throughout the spec could change vastly so who knows what would end up being the most optimal number at that stage.

all of this.