Discipline mass fear? edit...maybe a bug/glitch?

I asked this in GD but I dont think I got the scale of it across to anyone there.

In a dungeon couple days ago a Disc priest was healing…did a great job.
But EVERY time we hit a mob they would fear them all. All of them. Every time.
and it could be a mob of any size. I mean they feared what looked to be 40 trash lol.
But the odd thing is that the feared NPCs never came out of the fear.
They literally would stay feared till we beat them to death. Took ALL of the fight out of the dungeon except for the stuff they couldnt fear, which only seemed to be bosses lol.

Im not much of a priest player so Im sure Im missing something, so maybe a real Disc player here could explain this to me.

What abilities does Disc have that would allow it to fear upwards of 40 trash, or even more…and then keep it feared, not just till it took X damage, but I mean literally feared until it was dead.

I didnt see a single feared target ever come out of being feared and start fighting again.
I thought the most priest could to is fear it till it took a certain damage amount, and then like warlocks fear, it would break free of the fear?

Any ideas on how this was done?
I mean, this was powerful enough that we didnt get ANY resistance/fight out of any trash the entire run…and there was a lot of it.
nearly 7 years of playing WoW…seen a LOT of disc priest healers, but ive NEVER seen anything like this before.
It was almost too powerful it was so much.

priest fear in general can hit multiple targets and we can talent to increase the amount of damage a mob takes before fear breaks. but the staying feared forever aspect sounds like a glitch.

1 Like

Thanks. that answers the question.
I figured someone playing priest would know if this sounded odd or not.

Just a curiosity, is it possible for someone to cheat and do something like that?
Ive read people saying theyve caught players literally making the game do stuff its not supposed to do, so Im just wondering now if i should have reported it just so they could make sure.

im not one to snitch but if he was fearing every single pull and this happened all the time i say he was cheating/exploiting. one pull i would say glitch but every pull…i say he is up to something.

1 Like

it was every single mob the entire run. I wish I were exaggerating. lol.
The first time he did it I didnt really think much. But 4 or 5 mobs into the run, Im thinking…ok, this is what we’re doing now, I guess, lol.

The tank wasnt complaining so I figured they must have known each other because it was causing issues in that now we had to run down all the trash that ran off instead of the tank holding it together so we could just mow it down quick.

Generally, and Im sure you would have seen this over the years, if a player is fearing everything the tank usually asks them to stop. Ive seen a player do it ONCE in a run and a tank get on them about it. lol.

IF this was something they were able to talent and was within the confines of the games mechanix, bliz might want to take a look at Disc priest being WAY too much as far as fearing stuff goes, lol

It seems pretty default that tanks get annoyed when people use fear as a CC. But that’s because it has a negative stigma of causing unnecessary risks of a party wipe.

However, when used right by an experienced player that knows what they are doing, it can be a great addition to the dungeon run.

Currently, all Priests can fear an unlimited amount of targets and they can be petrified in place and can take more damage before the fear breaks.

But having a permanent fear seems very purculer indeed. But before I would jump to the conclusion of exploits taking place, I would wonder if it isn’t just a clever use of game mechanics. Perhaps an odd trinket was being used? Or perhaps was their another priest in the group also fearing? Or maybe the mobs died so quick to make it seem like we’re feared the entire time and appear like something was a miss but not?

I don’t know what could have happened, but would be interesting to learn more details that lead to this interesting situation.

1 Like

Exactly. Thats why Im asking to be honest.
If its legit, its pretty frikkin poweful, lol.
I mean, the entire run none of the trash even fought back. Just let us pound it to death while it was feared.

yeah, definitely crossed my mind as well…another reason I figured I had better ask priest players, you all might know of some trinket that would allow it to work like this.
Im so unfamiliar with priest that I just cant even take guesses at what can and cant be possible with the class, lol

Just one one disc healer.
The healer would run into the mobs and fire the fear off every time, which caused it to run off in all directions, lol. Just made the dungeon take longer than it always has…and really wasnt necessary if Im offering an opinion. its an overly easy dungeon anyway, just a lot of trash.

omg no. lol
because they went off in all directions WE all did the same, so you can imagine how long it took for one player to kill half dozen trash instead of ganging up on it.
They were pretty much as hard to kill as they always have been. Not too bad if youre ganging on them, but too long if youre hitting them alone, lol

I assumed the priest was using Petrifying Scream. Taking that talent means you don’t pick up Psychic Voice as they are a choice talent in the Priest class tree and Psychic Voice reduces the cooldown of Psychic Scream by 15 seconds with a baseline 45 seconds. So you at best can reduce it to 30 seconds.

But with Petrifying Scream, the targets don’t run away when you fear them. Making it a great way to lock down the mobs for a bit… but typically used more so as an AOE interrupt if they are doing something like the MoP adds that stand still channeling that blue shield damage immunity or casting etc.

But there is no baseline tool that allows constant fear. It’s supposed to last for max 8 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. So at best case you still have a window of 22 seconds between when the fear ends and when you can fear again.

That’s all I got anyway. Very odd indeed.

1 Like

Thanks for all the insight
It does sound like someone may have been doing something outside what’s allowable, I think