Diminishing returns on Block?

So not really sure if I am just misunderstanding how DR works on stats or what. But I was under the impression that up to 30% was fine, then after 30% was when things would start to diminish.

So a holy paladin or initial paladin, or even a ret paladin with a shield equipped all have a block chance of 10%.

Assumption A, Paladins have a base block chance of 10%.

When you have 0 mastery rating, you have a base 8% increase to block chance.

So why is a 0 mastery prot paladin with no talents selected at 17.16% block chance?

And it only gets worse from there. So does Block chance just always have massive DR or is something wrong, I’m guessing something is wrong because neither the base 10% nor the added 8% should diminish (because they are flat values and not rating, which do not DR as far as I am aware).

Do you have the first talent in the first row selected?

That increases block and has a chance to block spells

I think this is only for the secondary stats: haste, crit, mastery and vers.

Because prot Warriors with shield block up get 100% block and they take almost no physical damage

1 Like

Normally I do, however for testing I wasn’t using it. (It adds a flat 15% chance, undiminished).

So I stacked quite a bit and got mastery up to 25.5% which converted to a total block chance of 30.64.

So before DR should kick in on mastery I’ve already lost 5% block chance. Not really sure why it’s working this way.

The stat DR is only on Secondary Stats (Crit, Haste, Versa, Mastery) and has a table for that.

• From 0 to 30%, there’s no penalty.

• From 30% to 39%, there’s a 10% penalty.

• From 39% to 47%, there’s a 20% penalty.

• From 47% to 54%, there’s a 30% penalty.

• From 54% to 66%, there’s a 40% penalty.

• From 66% to 126%, there’s a 50% penalty.

This excludes mastery % and it’s by points since mastery functions different for each spec.

You can read further here

That is extremely low. For example I was Block capped last expansion in 8.3 with Wings/Seraphim up. The Block DR doesn’t start to really kick in until 60% Mastery for Prot but it does have it’s own separate DR and after 60% Mastery becomes harder. Block cap was somewhere around 120% Mastery I forget exactly been awhile.

Haven’t played since Jan and my low 25.02% mastery = 45.45% Block
With Divine toll, Seraphim up 43.40 mastery = 57.06 Block

Keep in mind as mentioned Mastery DR is by points not %

I just came back for some TBC Prot action and saw this thread GL hope it helps. I loved my Mastery Prot Pal in BFA though. So tanky with Block and dmg reduction from Cons.