Difficulties in obtaining "Oozing Bag"

TL;DR If you want to farm Oozing Bags to get the Disgusting Oozeling pet, you need to be doing Chromie Time at around levels 40-49.

Due to some apparent weirdness with the loot tables, I discovered that the Oozing Bag (which contains the Disgusting Oozeling pet) is much more of a pain to get in the Shadowlands pre-patch. It could also suggest some greater problems with how the recent level squish affects drops from scaling enemies, and Chromie Time-related loot bugs.

It all stems from how enemies have different loot pools depending on their level. That’s expected, because you want higher-level enemies to drop stuff that’s worth more. However, it has (maybe unintentionally?) severely tightened the criteria for the Oozing Bag to drop.

The problem with the Oozing Bag drop currently is a combination of these two things:

1. It can only drop from the highest quality loot pool from certain slime and worm enemies in Classic areas. (e.g. If you’re killing slimes and you don’t see Bubbling Green Ichor, Wretched Ichor, and Masticated Skulls drop, then the Oozing Bag also cannot drop.)
  2. Chromie Time is currently the only way for these enemies to be at a high enough level range for this loot pool.

Meaning, farming for the Disgusting Oozeling pet is currently very inconvenient. Without Chromie Time, every slime and worm enemy is capped to level 30, which is not a high enough level for the Oozing Bag to be in their loot pools.

If level 30 is meant to be equivalent to the old level 60, then there’s no reason why the Oozing Bags shouldn’t be dropping without Chromie Time.

Here’s the order of events which brought me to this conclusion:

• On a level 50 non-Chromie Time Shaman, I killed level 30 worms in Silithus (Dredge Crushers and Dredge Strikers). Lots of vendor trash, but no Oozing Bags after 200+ kills.
  • On a level 50 non-Chromie Time Mage, I killed level 30 slimes in Swamp of Sorrows (Shifting Mireglobs). Again, plenty of grey junk, but no Oozing Bags after 400+ kills.
  • On a level 31 Chromie Time Druid, I killed the same slimes as my mage (Shifting Mireglobs in Swamp of Sorrows) scaled up to level 31. Not even vendor trash was dropping.
  • Swapped over to level 45 Chromie Time Warrior, and killed the same slimes again, scaled up to level 45. Different set of vendor trash compared to my mage, and Oozing Bags began dropping about once in every 15 kills.

What’s most bizarre is that the slimes on my Druid were dropping no vendor trash, even though they logically should’ve been dropping stuff of comparable quality to when I had farmed them on my Mage. Somehow, the loot tables are altered while in Chromie Time, or there’s a level range gap where nothing drops from these enemies – I don’t know which.

Also, the vendor trash dropped while on my Shaman and Mage was much more valuable than on my Warrior (Revolting Ichor and Corroded Skulls), despite the items being dropped by level 30 enemies as opposed to scaled-up level 45 ones.

This topic might have a better home elsewhere, but it’s battle pet-related and I’m not sure whether it’s technically a bug.

edit: It’s called Chromie Time, not Timewalking

1 Like

Certainly not disagreeing that this might be one of the many unexpected results of the squish, but not sure about some of your numbers. If Blizzard used a consistent adjustment factor throughout, and 120’s dropped to 50, the old 60 would now be 25 and 30’s now used to be 72.

Of course this is just guessing, who knows how, exactly, the numbers were manipulated.

Maybe they drop for everyone at level 60.

Oh, you’re probably right about the levels. My mind immediately just went old 60 -> new 30 because that’s what the new level cap is in Classic areas.

That makes it even more jarring, then, that I’d have to get up to such a high level while in Chromie Time to even start seeing these bags drop.

Just had to share my experience with this. I followed the recommendation and had my druid go into Chromie time. Did leveling mostly in Zandalar until I hit 45. Immediately went to Swamp of Sorrows determined to do nothing else but kill Shifting Mireglobs. Here are my approximate numbers…

Level 45: 310 kills, 16 bags, no pet
Level 46: 340 kills, 17 bags, no pet
Level 47: 390 kills, 32 bags, no pet
Level 48: 540 kills, 33 bags, no pet
Level 49: 610 kills, 20 bags, no pet… until I was at 99% to level 50 and on the 121st bag it dropped.

I was 5 kills away from leveling to 50 and getting booted from Chromie time and no more chances at (on this alt).

What a grind!

3 Likes

I’m sure that would have been useful information - TWO years ago.