Did WoW botch their usual story formula in BFA?

The lore according to Ethriel.

Not to be confused with actual lore.

6 Likes

While we all can definitely see the terrible way which the night elves have been handled, Ethriel takes it a step further into complete lunacy…

I rolled my eyes just looking at that post starting with “About the Night Elves”…

Now! About the topic on hand, since bfa they’ve opted for shock value and an endless box of mysteries with no end or conclusion in sight with only bread crumbs for answers. They should go back to straight forward and simple.

5 Likes

Just Retcon the last 3 years.

5 Likes

They do know how. We even told them how. They just didn’t want to pay it off.

Night Elf souls being obliterated in the maw when there was the opportunity to save them is the prime example for this.

Its exist a difference in “theoretical they know how to pay off” and practiacly…to face an imposible Situation because the story would not be fun either for the other faction…it would still a terrible story to deal with it, one reason why teldrassil sucks is…is because the consequences such an event would produced could neither hit or archieved in an mmo like wow.

I’m not seeing how freeing innocent Night Elves and children from their suffering in the maw has any negative impact on the Horde as a faction.

Also the Horde was never entitled to Ashenvale, the Night Elves should’ve reclaimed that zone instead of making it a fully Horde controlled zone.

It’s things like these where you can clearly see that the writers never intented for the Night Elves to have a resolution other than “That’s it, you’re extinct and the souls of your people were obliterated, the end”.

Not that, but I think…a single event ala Teldrassil which saves everyone afterwards…all night elves…would not be possible with the current devs.

Yea because they are hateful towards Night Elves.

It’s not because the story doesn’t allow it, because the story would (realistically) let us free those souls after they went through so much suffering as individuals and as a race, we even got started with it and freed a small portion but then abandoned that quest.
It’s just the writers being hateful that doesn’t allow this.

The vast majority of stories start with a, or a group of, Character(s).
Then, Events occur and you watch that/those Character(s) moving through those Events and responding.

This is really the best general start point since you can create Character(s), fully fill them out, and during writing, go back over things and make sure you don’t break the Character.

Once Upon a Time, for multi-writer projects, a “Writer’s Bible” was produced by the original mind, giving the fixed world-view of each major Character. That way there was a thing to refer back to when someone was working on something, and get the Character in the ballpark of themselves.

You can see an early version of this in a copy of Shakespeare, at the beginning of the text is “Dramatis Personae” laying out the names and what of the Character.

WoW doesn’t do this style.

Some stories are based on Events, and then provide different Characters seeing/responding to them. Now, that can work, and be very effective. But it’s also easy to destroy the Characters, and make the Events themselves the center, which people do not generally like. We know the lives of the Characters are the important thing, because we are, and when they are turned into mere objects to drive fictional events we empathize against the story Events - which destroys the story.

WoW falls into this model. It has Events, and then shoves Characters into the Events.
Starting in BFA, WoW writing fell on its face making Events which were then dragging everyone along merely to advance the Events.
Also, in BFA, a grotesque writing style of emotional appeal became the norm. I actually was recently thinking about Stormsong Valley stories as a representation of this mistake: The attack on Brennadam by the Horde is something only the Alliance really sees, and it’s an emotional appeal in fact; “the Horde is attacking civilians, casual slaughter, remember what they did to Darnassus!”
Then you have Huelo as Horde, which the Alliance is left out of: “look at these savage Kul’Tirans, they set a wounded and suffering animal as bait just to do the same to a person!”
The point, without being exhaustive of all the times it was done, was to set off emotion buttons; in other words, to “otherize” the opposing faction as monsters.

That was done some in the RTS’s, but they were not 2 years of developing story, offensively trying to “put the war in Warcraft”. Nor was it to the extremes done in BFA. (Darnassus/Undercity come to mind.)

While BFA was pushing those emotional buttons, creating Player conflict, it also was constantly pushing the Old Gods as “the real culprit”. Even if someone was getting into the Faction War, that was stolen from them by the story saying, functionally: “sucker!”

Both sides’ leadership, since the Events were all that seemed to matter, were subverted into plot devices that made constantly stupid mistakes. And were often devoid of their own Character history.
To quote myself:

Really that was a let down from Legion: We won! The Burning Legion was defeated.
And then: LOL No! Old God make you fight!
And now, yet again: LOL No! Eternal One make you fight!

People play an RPG for that fantasy experience of a different Character it provides. Now in WoW, the story is so rigid, and focused on the Events the Lore Characters are put in, that Player Characters are feeling condemned to whatever whim the story is going to send their way.
We know, in the current style, that no matter what we do in game, some “twist” is stalking us as a “surprise”. We also, are now, up to not being surprised by the supposed surprise, just wasting time on the way to it wondering which one they’re going to do this time.

BFA, as pure underlying story, was not terrible. It was delivered terribly, expounded terribly, paced terribly, and with those…a disaster. Frankly, their Faction War stunt of Teldrassil and Undercity should NEVER have happened.
As story it could work, but with a multi-year cycle of content development, and the inability to move the story reasonably, it should have been cut as an idea.

My advice to the WoW team would be:

• You need a Writer’s Bible explaining your Characters. And you need to obey it.
  • Cut the emotional appeal writing. You make Player strife, the game will suffer.
  • Stop trying to shove Lore Character story in the middle of Player story, this game is about the Player Characters. (Congrats on making Players not a part of the raid by making a cutscene with only Lore Characters.)
  • Refocus story development: The Player Character moving through the stream of Events. Subscriptions are to play the game, not watch a few second clips of Lore Characters and then click complete.
  • If you do deep psychological in the story you need to expound the grounds of the story in Act 1. Like Hamlet. Attacking Teldrassil, with where you have gone now, would be like Hamlet starting at him slaying Polonius (Act III, Scene IV).

I would not have personally been worried about writing the underlying story they seem to have. But they absolutely missed it and made too many people angry in the process.

7 Likes

I don’t mind not having my character appear in the end of raid cinematics. Otherwise it will look like those horrible in-game cutscenes. Besides, in the lore our characters are just a blank slate. Which is why they are absent from things like patch trailers or end of raid cinematics.

I’d argue they blotched it in Wrath, when the “world” of WarCraft stopped being the main character of the game. Instead it got pushed out of the way for trashy cape- superhero pulp.

1 Like

As you point out, BfA followed the usual story with the Horde playing the role of villains. Leaving aside the issue of casting one faction as the villains…

They like to provoke players to hate the other side. As the saying goes, an angry fan is an engaged fan. I think they went too far. But I’m not sure Blizzard believes that, even now.

2 Likes

The problem is they created two timelines in the game, in this case.

Timeline 1: You get a quest to defeat Sylvanas, from Bolvar. You go to the raid and fight Sylvanas.

Timeline 2: You do the end of story chapter, where the Primus says:

I fear our efforts to stop Zovaal have been thwarted, mortal. A doorway has been opened to a forbidden realm… and the Banished One has reclaimed a power taken from him long ago. I sense your allies returning from the Sanctum of Domination. I must know every detail of what transpired.

Both of those existed at the same time in the game. He doesn’t ask you, the Maw Walker, for your experience; oh no, the two we saved from Torghast along with Mr. “I can’t go to the Maw, I might get MC’d” are who he wants info from.

On its own the cutscene could have stood with an airy “can’t show everything!
But when you add in that the Player Character is getting ordered by the Primus to find out what happened from someone else…yeah…not good.
Compounded with Bolvar, who’s in the cutscene, having asked players to do the fight…ugh.

It’s just a silly mistake. Redo the Primus as asking the Maw Walker what they have seen, go to cutscene - no other changes - and boom, one timeline, nice and tidy.

2 Likes

Blizzard could have made two different quests and dialogue depending on whether you have done the raid quest yet or not. But I can see why they went with the ‘if you didn’t do it’ option since most players probably have not done the raid yet.

And the last time they made a raid quest be required for story progression (9.1 war campaign along with 8.0 suramar chain) it wasn’t well received. Now both of those chains no longer require their respective raid quest to be complete to continue. (the EN one for Suramar is now a solo scenario event)

Wait, that’s not how it goes? I assumed the dialogue would have changed if you beat the raid first.

My opinion is that raid participation is down, drastically. But I know I’m not the person to judge that fairly.

And with this story piece they really wanted people to get the cinematic for future story reasons.

I totally agree with that, they need to not lock Lore behind raids. But you can’t take people and say “do this big thing, and the story is here”, and then turn around and create a vacuum where the Players were left out. It diverts the focus and de-prioritizes Player Characters. WoW isn’t a movie, and I think the story drift in that direction has been bad for the game.

It’s such a silly error when just words fixes it.

There isn’t a good reason to not simply aver the PC as having been there in quest text. From my PoV doing that is the best solution, who cares if they went to the raid when all we’re talking about is a cutscene.
Let the Players insert their headcannon about their Characters.

Story forks, where we have different timelines are really bad for how people take stories, many start checking out.

No it does not.

1 Like

Well, RIP me. I specifically held off on doing the campaign quest this time because I was waiting for the final LFR wing.

2 Likes

I honestly expected to read a more expansive post about how the Story of BfA bucked the trends of previous expansions to its detriment, rather then a focus on the Night Elven story problems specifically.
Painting Saurfang’s death as a good thing is rather weird considering it was basically just him losing horribly for 2 minutes before Sylvanas flys off. Sure, payoff of the Horde council ‘might’ be a good thing in the end but it’s not like there’s been actual story support of that yet.

On my actual point, BfA is probably the least centralized story Blizzard has ever made. Between the completely divorced plot threads of Azerite, The War (which shows such little usage of the nuclear parallel that it basically is a separate story), Aszhara and later N’zoth; There is little in terms of a throughline for the expansion.
Even the central gameplay mechanics barely had story justifications, with Azerite armor and weaponry barely treated as anything more then strong enchanted items. The characters speak of Azerite like it’s some fundamental gamechanger; but absolutely nothing comes out of it with the most visible moment of Azerite weaponry, the Azerite Tank, being stabbed to death by Anduin.

2 Likes

You’re correct about this, and it applies for BFA too. The problem is that BFA had two storylines, and if it didn’t have the faction war it’d actually be a great expansion. The formula applies to one storyline in BFA but not the other.

Sargeras stabs his sword into Azeroth-> As a result, the Chamber of Heart underneath Silithus is revealed-> The Chamber of Heart is used to send a blast of azerite at N’zoth and kill him.

It’s a bit more complicated than that, but Sargeras stabbing Azeroth causes azerite to pop up which is used to kill N’zoth via the Chamber of Heart, which gives this storyline a conclusion while the faction war storyline doesn’t seem to have one.

2 Likes