Did the BFA Story Make You Change Faction?

Yes, it did. I do not enjoy getting bludgeoned with the villain bat and I don’t find the Horde story enjoyable at all. This is the first expansion I’ve switched mains over to my Demon Hunter.

2 Likes

To be fair, he didn’t say it in a “oh the light belongs to humanity” way. I way took it, Shaw literally never saw a troll pala before- its nowhere near the level of trollbane calling eitrigg a blackblood or Genn going “the only good undead…” previosuly

It wasn’t a crack at troll paladins, he was just surprised they existed. “Troll Paladins? Now i’ve seen it all.” Is not an insult to troll paladins, he’s stating his surprise at learning of their existence. I don’t know why people see that as an insult, who wouldn’t be surprised to see something like a Troll paladin? It’s almost as outlandish as a goblin Druid or Draenei warlock.

6 Likes

Yep, this. I can’t faction change because my character IS an orc; I wouldn’t bother to keep playing him if I had to race change him, I’d just roll and boost someone else. And I’m loyal to THIS character, not the Horde, or the story, and so playing as one of my alts isn’t nearly as fun for me. That said, I’ve spent a lot more time on my Alliance alts in BfA, and I agree, it just reinforces my disgust at how terrible the Horde story is. You get to feel epic and awesome in the Alliance story; over on Horde side, you get to choose between embracing evil or being a coward who goes along with it anyway.

1 Like

The story did not make me change factions. Like many people who ultimately did, it almost made me stop playing all together, though.

Like Draegar, I am loyal to my own characters that I have invested my time in (I have 103 exalted reputations on this character) more than I am to the Alliance or the Horde. But after Cataclysm I did connect with the Night Elves, so I do say now that I main Alliance more than just because my friend plays Alliance. However, BfA has made me put aside my Horde alts, as I’ve posted before, I won’t be doing any of BfA’s Horde side story content and I won’t be logging onto any of my Horde characters until I can get around that.

2 Likes

No, no matter how bad it gets and if two factions exists, I’ll remain Horde.

1 Like

Huh what? that “Revenge” was for basically Sylvanas just strolling over to Gilneas and trying massacre the Gilneans while they were getting hit by the cataclysm so basically she was kicking them when they were already down. and then proceeds to kill their prince so pretty much genn’s revenge is justified. And to add to this she burns teldrasil inturn killing innocent night elves and once again displacing the Gilneans. Would you say the same if the night elves attacked orgrimar? that it was just simply revenge and it wasn’t justified and to your “alliance suffered no consequence” well they already suffered a massive loss in Gilneas. That is why Genn did not kill sylvanas in stormhiem he could have easily taken darius and ivar and teamed up on sylvanas but instead he destroyed the lantern that would give her control over the valkyr knowing that the legion is a greater threat and killing her would instantly bring a war that Azeroth could not afford at that moment.

2 Likes

Why do people always talk like Sylvanas invaded Gilneas solo and out of a clear blue sky? All she did was take over the invasion that Garrosh had already started. Which, let’s be clear, you can and should still be mad about, because it was still unprovoked. But make sure you put the blame for starting it where it belongs.

Also, hitting your enemy when they’re weak is a time-honored real-world tactic. It means you have to expend fewer of your own soldiers’ lives in taking the target.

5 Likes

It’s really easy to rationalize how it wasn’t unprovoked.

It’s easy to consider that Gilneas’ decision to remain isolationist during the Third War might’ve contributed to the accelerated fall of Lordaeron agains the Scourge. While it’s not likely, maybe Gilnean intervention would’ve turned the war, or even reduce casualties.

Some Forsaken still have bad blood over the absence of the Gilneans when things went south. Invasion by the Forsaken could be considered payback.

It’s a lot of hoops to jump through, but it wasn’t entirely unprovoked. Not in the sense that Gilneas didn’t bring it upon their doorstep by spurning a fellow kingdom in a significant way.

4 Likes

Well yeah, in that sense, few wars are entirely unprovoked. But in this case, there wasn’t a specific incident that kicked off that particular round of hostilities. Garrosh just decided that he wanted a port and that theirs was the best target.

Sure. The Forsaken were waiting for their excuse.

According to Chronicles, yeah. But the thing that made them actually get up and march to Gilneas was Garrosh’s decision to invade, not anything new that the Gilneans did.

1 Like

Faction change? No, never.

However it did make me level the three 110 Alliance characters I had to 120 so I could take a break from villain bat simulator 2019.

Don’t get me wrong though, I still play my Horde characters a lot. However, it does help to have a contingency plan in place.

5 Likes

To be fair, Valkrowzer didn’t say it was solo? In fact, I don’t think anyone really has. But mostly it’s considered now not to be just because Garrosh forced her to because of World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume III, Page 201:

Gilneas had escaped invasion from outside forces due to the massive Greymane Wall on its northern border. But that had changed with the Cataclysm. Earthquakes had shattered part of the wall, leaving Gilneas vulnearble.

Garrosh Hellscream was not the only member of the Horde who desired Gilneas. Sylvanas Windrunner was eager to bring the kingdom under her dominion. She convinced Garrosh to give her control over the invasion force, and she led the Horde’s rampage through the isolated nation.

Nowadays people bring it up as it justifies Genn’s attack on Sylvanas in Legion.

Gilneas was also not an enemy of the Horde at the time. Short of considering anyone you can attack at any given time you decide an enemy, I suppose.

1 Like

He implied that the decision to attack Gilneas was hers and hers alone when he said she “just strolled over and tried to massacre the Gilneans.” That’s the kind of wording that annoys me because it leaves out Garrosh’s role. It is imprecise at best.

I’m aware of the partial retcon in Chronicles, but even there, it doesn’t say when Sylvanas convinced Garrosh to give her control of the invasion force.

“Enemy” in the sense that they’re on the other side of the battle, not in the sense of someone who has wronged you.

It forced me to go Horde. Because the overall experience is just that much better to me

1 Like

Kind of?

I’ve always mained Night Elves more than anything, so, while Alliance-leaning, I always played both sides, even occassionally during Garrosh’s tenure. War of Thorns-Elegy-Teldrassil is when I finally gave up the pipe dream of being bifactional for good, and deleted my Horde alts. Then, in 8.1, Anduin crushed any sort of pride I might have had in the Alliance. So, with the Horde being something I’ll likely never play again, and the Alliance proving unworthy of my loyalty, I switched factions on a much larger, more meta scale: to FFXIV.

1 Like

Nope. No matter how awful the Horde story becomes I’m literally allergic to play Alliance (it’s just that the flavor and narrative on the blue faction is so… unrelatable and artificial, it bores me to tears). Lots of times I’ve tried -and failed- to keep playing Alliance alts and at the end I always end up deleting them. Don’t ask me to play White Knight avatars for a surrealistic lawful goodie two shoes narrative cause I simply can’t stand it for long… Eventually it gets on my nerves or acts like a sleeping drug or both.

This may sound extremely ridiculous, but regular, bad and really really bad people DO exists, so in a way my mind is somehow prepared to deal with such characters. Angels belong on myths and fairy tales, and I unfortunately outgrew those a loooong time ago, ergo I won’t play Alliance. Especially under the current creative direction obssesed with making them even less realistic with each patch.

Maybe I will take a page from 3slot’s book and try FF14, but I’m still on the fence about that…

1 Like

I think the importance of the retcon was Sylvanas’ eagerness, rather than anything to do with timing.

I have both a Horde and Alliance toons but it been almost a month seems I took playing serious, not from the lack of trying mind but I start getting depressed every time when do try.

I did try playing Alliance for a while it was only proven to having the same results.