Did a GM ask to talk to you when you cancelled?

I was thinking about this the other day – and it makes it feel like I (along with many others) was finally listened to. We were given Classic.

When I cancelled back in WoD, I received a popup on the website informing me that the GM wanted to talk to me. A GM then proceeded to ask me why I was cancelling. I was happy to oblige. lol.

I felt like it was quite telling. A turning point when Blizzard started to do some soul searching and scrambled for ideas about how to staunch the flow of subs. Shame it took a couple of more awful expansions to get into gear.

Did this happen to anyone else?

3 Likes

They had a little check list thing when I quit in Wrath.

I quit again in Legion and again in BFA but never got a blizzard GM to ask me why.

8 Likes

I am not surprised that they will employ gms to ask people why they ended their subscription but expect us to accept loot trading and right click report & automatic punishment in game.

1 Like

They brought back the checklist for cancelling.

Remember that this was years ago, and that WoD had a lot of hype around it and built the playerbase up quite high again. It then also saw quite possibly the biggest dropoff in subs in history when people realised it was terrible.

I remember WoD being touted as some sort of return to the old days. lol.

I suspect that the powers that be were in panic mode.

I wonder if I was spoken to because I was a long-time, constant sub that had never cancelled in about 11 years.

I posted a log of my long chat with the GM on the forums at the time (by “chat” I mean long tirade from me with a few scripted replies from the info-collecting GM and a few strangely personal and unscripted responses from him as well), and a lot of people thought that I was making it up and that I opened a ticket with a GM to complain – but they really did ask to speak with me.

I remember there used to be a little crying Peon when you canceled your sub. But I think he quit too.

25 Likes

Maybe he was a cost cutting casualty.

2 Likes

They’ve known for a long time now, it’s not like they have a say in it.
This goes way beyond their jurisdiction, probably even beyond Ion.
Ghostcrawler, Ion, you name it, it’s all just been a downward spiral regardless of who was in charge and there’s been no big deviance between them, just a constant degradation.
Makes you think are the execs demanding for something and what is the devs true control over the game.

It’s all just following orders.

1 Like

I never got more than the form questions. I remember one of them being “is it because we nerfed will of the forsaken?” way back first time I quit in BC or Wrath (I think). Whenever they did that they actually noticed they lost enough subs to ask if that was why :laughing: Imagine that amount of micro-management now, it’s almost unthinkable.

2 Likes

Luckily our feedback led to the game we have today

4 Likes

I’ve seen the checklist and the peon, but never had an actual GM ask to talk to me.

2 Likes

I had a GM talk to me when I quit WOD also. I was quite graphic in my response.

1 Like

I went to town on the poor guy.

I posted the transcript on the forums where it was quickly deleted, and quite some time later I found that someone had copy and pasted it over to MMO Champion’s forums. (You can still find it if you google for - a symbolic cancellation).

Loads of people there were convinced it was fake because of how detailed and eloquent my response was, considering that it was off-the-cuff and real time.

They obviously didn’t spend years stewing over every little gutting of the game like I did. I have these things on tap. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No. No pop up automated thing, no GM, nothing. I cancelled and that was it. They really don’t care anymore, ya know? You can tell by how well they don’t listen to the players anymore at all about anything. It’s why they’ve lost literally millions of players over the past few expansions.

They need to have a forum for unscribbed players to post in to tell them why they unsubbed and what they can do to regain their business, since we can’t post in the topics on the general forum. Or just let anyone with an account, active or not, post in general.

It’s all well and good for current subbed players to tell them what they think about things but it’s the players who stopped paying that they need to listen to the most because there are WAY more of us now. They should be asking themselves, why did they leave and how can we get them to come back, but they can’t know the answer to that unless we can tell them, and we can’t. Looking at general, there are some things they’re doing that if it goes live it will ensure I NEVER resub, but I can’t tell them that. Not that they would care. At. All. Yeah what’s the point, nevermind.

1 Like

Nope never.

1 Like

Happened when I quit over RealID. That was a discussion.

when I left legion, no asked and no survey.

1 Like

No one contacted me and I was with wow since August 2015 with a break during WoD (Which most people took a break).

At this point I am totally gone. The only thing that I hoped for in Classic will not be in (AV 1.5) so I started back with FF14.

Not coming back for classic or retail. Activision lost me for good with all the stupid things they are doing and have done.

The NO AV 1.5 was the final straw that broke the camel’s back for me!

3 Likes

Yes. It happened to me a long time ago. At the start of Cataclysm, I unsubbed and was given the option of filling out a checklist with pre-determined answers. There was also an “other” item that I could select and was only allowed something sillly like 100 characters. As I said, that was a long time ago, and I had many reasons that did not fit the pre-determined answers which means that I couldn’t fit much text into the “other” option.

Another time that I unsubscribed, instead of the checklist that I mentioned, I was able to chat with a Game Master. I informed the GM of the reasons as to why I chose to leave WoW and left it at that.

Nope. I was never asked personally to talk to a GM about why I was canceling my sub. Probably because I admitted that no matter how angry I was with the game at the time, I would eventually come crawling back.

But I do think it was telling when they removed the survey during the sub cancellation process. I remember the poor Peon getting more and more sad as he realized I was going away for a while and feeling bad for the poor fella, but now it has so little fanfare or feedback that I had to double check that the sub was actually canceled.