Dialogues missing in Shadowlands and BFA (text and spoken)

I encountered this bug as well while finishing up the BfA war campaign quests, e.g., Eve of Battle, etc. I wanted two of my characters to play through the BfA expansion one final time before heading to Shadowlands. The missing dialogue was quite annoying.

But I don’t have SL yet and am planning on redeeming the free version before the offer expires. Are a lot of the conversations in the SL intro quests borked as well? Would it be worth waiting on SL until this bug gets fixed? Or are there really not that many messed up conversations and it won’t make much of a difference for a new user to SL?

4 Likes

Basicaly, much of the story since BFA is delivered in these conversations and a lot of them are missing right now all over the xpac. Grab the free xpac and wait till Blizz fix it.

3 Likes

If you care about the story, which some of us do, I would still of course grab SL while you can, but hold off venturing to deep until they fix the bug. Also, please submit a ticket in-game if you haven’t already. Hope this gets fixed soon.

2 Likes

I tried disabling the dialogues conversations option in the Sound menu. Have text back. It is a temporary fix, sort off, because you don’t have any spoken dialogue, only text. Reenabling it sometimes give the spoken dialogues back, but is inconsistent, they don’t stick or are only partially delivered or dont work at all. Thanks for Bloodsung in his post in the technical bug section for the tip.

5 Likes

Disabling the dialogue is working for me as well. Thanx!

3 Likes

Let’s hope they just fix the big and give us a permanent solution.

2 Likes

It is not really a solution because you don’t have dialogues spoken in the in-engine cinematics (Plus you are missing the actors delivering it), I think only in the pre-rendered cinematics are dialogues spoken if this option is off (not tested this part).

1 Like

I am also having this issue.

3 Likes

Please submit a ticket if you haven’t already.

3 Likes

Same issue here. I’d say about 30-40% of the dialogue while questing through Shadowlands has been bugged for me. No text bubbles, no sound clips.

I’ve played through SL many times, but my wife was considering purchasing it soon, and it would be a shame for her to miss out on 30-40% of the story.

2 Likes

Exactly. It takes someone out of the immersion. Hopefully as this thread gets bigger and as more people submit in game tickets that they will attempt to give us the experience we are paying for. Let’s hope they fix it soon so you and the wife can play together and enjoy it.

4 Likes

Same for me. Text and voiceovers just missing and not playing in game.
I thought it was my add-ons or something on my end but nice to see it is on their end and not on my end.

4 Likes

Noticed this here as well, throwing in a post to help it get seen

4 Likes

Appreciate the post. I have 2 friends who want to come back for Dragon Flight that quit at the end of Cata. Would love to level up a character with them, but hope this issue gets fixed first.

2 Likes

I feel like in the meantime, there’s some pretty hilarious experiences with this to share -

Did the little Nikolon bit with Eridia, and when he went to her for help, he kind of just crouched down and she watched, saying nothing, while he suffered and failed :rofl:

After observing some of the consistently missing dialogue, this is actually a pretty awful situation given how much of the RPG aspect of the game has so heavily shifted into the story (hopefully not so much in the future, when also given how poor the adventure/“world” RPG aspects of the game have felt). Feeling pretty bad for the unfortunate newer or returning player from a long break just trying to make sense of anything, lol.

Final note, not only is a staggering amount of the dialogue (above posts noting 30% to 40% isn’t an exaggeration) fully missing, but there’s also a lot of dialogue that does appear but pops up shifted forward 5 or so seconds from when it should’ve triggered. At times this makes for some weird overlaps and NPCs talking over each other.

4 Likes

I first noticed how bad this bug was when I first got to Oribos. The jarring silence really took me out of the story. I tried to deal with it, but I just couldn’t. I got to the Nicholai part as well and just left my character at that point. Playing other low level characters until it gets fixed.

4 Likes

I just restarted playing after at least a 2 year break, there clearly is missing dialogue, they just stand there and one of them has a line then waits 1-2 minutes then says another line. I’ll try to switch to text only, that might work.

5 Likes

Even if the “fix” does work to an extent, it’s still not working as intended. Please submit a ticket in game stating your dissatisfaction.

3 Likes

I am experiencing this too. I’m into the lore of this game, just came back after nearly 4 years and there is voice lines and text missing from a lot of very important quest lines across multiple expansions. I first noticed it in the introduction to Oribos, also during some cinematics from BFA, and now I’m even seeing it in Legion content. I just started the Mage class hall scenario in Legion on my mage alt I just made, I went into Violet Hold to kill the dreadlord and save the forge of guardians, Alodi appeared but all his voice lines and text were missing, he was just silent. Please fix this ASAP Blizzard.

6 Likes

I’m having the same issue, bumping the thread for visibility o/

2 Likes