DH Lore & YOU

How many DHs do we have who are into the lore and backstories for their character? How many of you have read Illidan (the novel)? Not judging either way; there are many ways to enjoy WoW and you are just as legit regardless of whether you only care about gameplay or whether you geek out on your mind fantasies.

Do you have an idea of who you were before you underwent the transformation at Black Temple? Why did you accept Illidan’s offer of power? How did you get there in the first place, i.e., what was your personal journey? What kind of demon did you slay and consume and has that affected who you are now? How have you reacted to Illidan’s revival, the defeat of Sargeras, and Illidan choosing to remain with the Titans? What purpose have you identified for yourself since the Legion’s demise? How do you fit in post-Legion? Where will you go from here?

i think this would be more suited in the lore side of the forums, but im sure theres some dh players that well went into the rp side of things

My knowledge of DH lore is very elementary. What I like very much though, in addition, is the inherent personal conflict, first that with the ingested demonic force, then the feelings of rejection, sadness, and anger.

I love tragic heroism.

2 Likes

I picture a set of people who care about lore, and a set of people who enjoy Demon Hunters, and a subset of people who enjoy both. Just looking for people interested in discussing stuff that’s on my mind at the moment.

I created my own VDH when they first became available in Legion pre-patch, and it became my main for a while (Tomb of Sargeras patch). He’s been my co-main during most of DF, but expecting him to be my main toon heading into S4. So I’m doing a deep-dive on the lore and creating his backstory.

1 Like

well my advice to you is, just go crazy with it with wow lore as a template. my dh is a batsh** insane former priestess of elune, joining the illidari because she had no where else to go after using arcane magic to escape demons. somehow still finding herself without a palce to call home. eventually finding comradery with the alliance as a whole more than anything. eventually her wounds scar up as she helps restore the world tree and help her fellow illidari find a new purpose.

shes still a dent head tho

1 Like

I’ve actually been having fun researching all the DH lore in game and from affiliated sources (novels, Wowpedia, etc.). Yesterday I collected all of Illysana’s diaries in Black Rook Hold and read the story of how she decided to follow Illidan. Then read on Wowpedia how she was duped by the Legion into believing she could have her family back. I even made a mini-me to go back and replay the DH starter zone and get it fresh in my mind (hadn’t seen it since Legion).

I’ve decided I grew up as Fyros Farscribe in Shala’nir playing under the roots and branches of Shaldrassil. When old enough to apprentice, I was retained by Lord Ravencrest to serve as scribe for his new mage prodigy (Illidan). When the Legion attacked, my family joined other refugees fleeing to the castle. My mother was carried away by a felbat en route. My little sister was so traumatized she never spoke again. My father died as a conscript when demons surged over the walls. I was too young to fight, but watched from the shadows as Illidan saved us.

I was shocked and outraged when he was vilified for his efforts, but too young to follow when he left. Later I found Illysana’s diary and determined to make myself ready should the opportunity come again. By day I was humble scribe; by night I trained for vengeance. When Tyrande released Illidan from his prison, I found him in Felwood and joined the cause.

1 Like

I love the class and the lore, as well as Illidan. Legion was a masterpiece. For all classes, but man it was badass for DH.
Has been my main ever since.

My head canon is that we’ve been fighting the remaining demons, on and (mostly) off world. And we’ve been keeping a close eye on the warlocks and especially the Eredar. Ready to step out of the shadows and stand between them and our allies, should they become a problem.

Also,
Gives me such a headache when I see people begging for void elf and night borne DH. It’s impossible. You didn’t exist and without the threat of an endless unstoppable legion of demon’s on the horizon you have no motivation to become one.

2 Likes

I love DH lore. Illidan has been my favorite character in Warcraft since WC3.

There is so much untapped lore to pull from for keeping DH’s relevant past just hunting demons.

In Cataclysm, you can jump down into the big whirlpool in Darkshore and find the ghost of a demon hunter named Telarius Voidstrider. He drops a quest to take back to a sentinel in Lor’danel. The flavor text is that he dropped part of the rituals to become a DH, hinting at the fact that some demon hunters trained other elves to become demon hunters without the assistance of Illidan. The sentinel tells the player that Maiev killed Telarius some time ago. At the point of Cataclysm, Illidan was dead and before that, in Outland. I always thought it was cool that some DH’s escaped the fate of the Illidari at the Black Temple. Like Feronas Sindweller found in Felwood during Cataclysm as well – but not to get sidetracked, back on the topic of Telarius Voidstrider.

The thing most interesting about Telarius are his quotes when you fight him.

“The shadows will consume you. You are not prepared to face the void.”

Telarius has a title “Herald of the Dark Embrace”. With next to nothing to go on, my head canon was that he was training more DH’s to deal with the void, Old Gods and Void Lords, perceiving them as equal or a greater threat than the Legion itself.

I hope some day they riff on this if they ever update nelf zones. A different group of demon hunters calling themselves the Dark Embrace, with different goals than the Illidari – to combat the void – would be cool to me.

2 Likes

I’m thinking my primary motivation these days is Azshara. The War of the Ancients won’t truly be over until she’s brought to justice. Sargeras was a villain, but Azshara betrayed her own people.

Meanwhile, I’m Batman, pouncing from the shadows, putting fear in the hearts of villains everywhere.

I did not know that! Thank you for sharing! I have been tracking down all the lore I can find, but was missing that one. Is it possible to talk to the NPC, roll back time, and still do this? Checking… Yep! Still there!

1 Like

I have not had the opportunity to read Illidan, only to spoil some of the content, that being said, I leave a summary of what I have in mind about my character

Pre-transformation

• Half-elf who lived in the border forests between Lordaeron and Quel’thalas
  • Trained by his father as a ranger but never belonged to any organization.
  • He lived mostly with his mother, he dedicated himself to hunting and skinning, selling skins and meat in both kingdoms.
  • His mother dies during the spread of the plague and later with the scourge of the undead spreading through Lordaeron he retires to Quel’thalas.
  • Fight alongside the elves and his father against the Scourge invasion, both survive the invasion but his father dies shortly after due to his injuries.
  • He remains with the surviving elves until Kale’thas arrives and joins his forces.
  • After the campaign in Outlands he is left behind due to his injuries while the forces of Kale’thas, Illidan and Vashj mobilize again to Azeroth to attack Icecrown.
  • After the return of the Icecrown survivors and the beginning of Illidan’s training of our new DH, it is not long until he joins the initiates.

Post-transformation

• Develops a body with strong scales and a robust demonic transformation (aka Tankform metamorphosys)
  • During his time in training and service in the Outlands, he finds a young black dragon, little older than a baby, corrupted by Fel and feral like the wildest of animals, through force he subdues it and begins a long training process to convert it. eventually a reliable mount and battle companion.
  • DH intro campaign
  • During the Legion’s invasion of Azeroth he fought in Faronaar, Felsoul Hold, Suramar City, the Broken Shore an Argus.
  • After the end of the Legion invasion return to Outlands, and after a while he meets the Sibellian flight and the dragon he once trained is cleaner than ever except for the eyes.
  • He allies himself with Sibellian and his flight, returning to Azeroth years later during Dragonflight on the back of a black dragon and jumping against a Djaradin transforming mid-fall during the siege of the Obsidian citadel.
1 Like

The idea of becoming a monster and learning to control it and using fire to fight fire to protect those you care about very much aligns with my irl beliefs and politics, so I like the class fantasy. Evil does not hesitate or show mercy, so it deserves none in return. You deserve what you tolerate.

The reason I picked up the class to begin with though was the mobility.

1 Like

The classic DnD and others RPG of, devils vs demons, even though they are both fiends.

1 Like

Velnas Ravenblade

He started as a young Sentinel finally making it into their ranks, swordmenship connected to him on a higher level. As he would preform the advanced form of bladesong. It became an art over the centuries so much so that he could allow muscle memory too take over and focus on the world around him.

From the owl that starred at him through those long cold nights. To the snow flakes that seemed to fall silently to the ground. Again and again he let his muscles lead the blade dance in a almost trance like state. But one day…

This meditation was deep enough to where at first he didnt hear the screams. But when the earth shook and he snapped out of his escape, he looked up an saw a green firey comet screaming over head. It’s heat blazed across his face as it soared over head. As he looked up it slammed into a building not to far from where he stood.

It must have hit the town center nooo wait. It was his home.

He ran and ran but it was to late his home was swallowed in fel flames. As he walked closer his mate laid lifeless in the jaws of a snarling fel hound. The scene was horrific, as it was pages from nightmares that only few could think of.

Has his heart began to break, his rage and fury boiled over and without thinking he yelled and charged forward, all that was in his vision was three things. His dead mate, Fel Fire and a FelHound that he was going to cut to pieces.

The beast didnt last long, though it did leave a wound on velnas’s face before the end…

From there he joined illdain and made the peace from the demon within for the power to stop that from happening to any more of his kin.

As for what he would be doing now, well after not being particularly welcomed in the old forests of his kaldorei kin. A new home within the a mystic and Majestic home of the dragons, seem to be more welcoming then his native lands. Maybe he could reconnect with his kin there…

Who knows.

I have read the novel, its super intresting. If you havent yet, i recommend giving it a read or a listen. Glad your finding the lore fun and interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Felfáádaern Darkterror

Fyros Farscribe grew up in Shala’nir, playing under the roots and branches of the world tree Shaladrassil. He was a talented lad with a penchant for tidiness, and when he was old enough to apprentice he was retained by Lord Ravencrest to serve as a scribe for his new mage prodigy Illidan Stormrage. Illidan soon observed that young Fyros had a gift for the arcane as well, and began mentoring him in the art of enchanting. Young Fyros idolized Illidan and basked in being his servant.

When the Burning Legion first invaded Azeroth, everyone assumed it would be good sport and easy victory because the Kaldorei empire was invincible. No one understood why the Queen made no appearance, but in her absence Lord Ravencrest took command. Soon the severity of their plight became apparent: for every victory they suffered two defeats, and the demons just kept coming. Still Kur’talos Ravencrest was a brilliant tactician, and the Legion was forced to commit more and more forces to putting down his resistance.

As the demons moved through Val’sharah, refugees fled to Black Rook Hold. Young Fyros waited anxiously for his family to arrive, growing more distraught as those arriving became more ragged. Many were wounded and told of horrors they’d escaped. Finally some sentinels arrived with a group they’d rescued out on the road, fighting their way to the gates swung open just long enough for them to enter. Fryos saw his father! His father asked him to look after his little sister before accepting the polearm he was handed and taking his place among the able-bodied. His sister looked dazed, and when he asked about mother she just pointed to the felbats circling overhead. She never spoke that day, or any day after.

Fyros got his sister safely to the catacombs where those most vulnerable were being protected, but lied to the guards saying he was needed above by the Moonguard. He wanted to find his father, to help in some way, but didn’t know how. He ended up watching from the shadows as the walls were overrun and demons flooded the castle. All seemed lost, until Illidan sacrificed the men under him, empowering himself to destroy the demons in droves. Sacrificing still more of them, he was able to defeat the demon’s commander. Fyros’s father died on the walls that day, but thanks to Illidan, he and his sister survived. He watched in horror when Illidan was vilified for his efforts. Fyros learned something important that day: being a hero isn’t about speeches, popularity, or glory; being a hero is about doing what is necessary.

Illidan left after that, and Fyros wanted to go with him, but he was young with no combat training so was left behind. Besides, he had his sister to care for. He went back to his work as scribe, until one day he was asked to tidy up some papers left by Lord Ravencrest’s daughter. She had disappeared, and her things could not be left scattered. As he looked for drawers and shelves to put things away, he found a hidden compartment with her diary. In it, she explained her conviction that Illidan was right and her intention to find and follow him. Illidan and Illyana were both eventually caught and imprisoned, but Fyros never forgot. He worked away as the quiet tidy scribe and gifted enchanter, earning enough gold to see his sister would be cared for. And he learned the way of the glaive, so that he too would be prepared to do what was necessary.

When the Legion returned and Tyrande freed Illidan, Fyros found him in Felwood. There Illidan explained what he had learned, that defeating the waves of Legion invasions was useless unless they found a way to stop them at their source. When Illidan left for Outland, Fyros followed.

Finding his way to Outland was not easy. Illidan made it something of a test, to weed out those ill-suited for his needs. Fyros had never heard of Black Temple, and was left with only a single clue to begin his journey:
“Search beneath the Maw of the Void.”
Those next few months required him to delve into an underworld beyond any of his previous life experience, meeting shady characters along unseen paths.

Asking locals about the Maw of the Void led him to an archaeologist in Ashenvale, who directed him to a whirlpool left by the Sundering among ruins on Darkshore. Fyros found it and searched for tunnels to go below. He searched the ruins, thinking perhaps to find some long-buried stairs. When all his searches turned up nothing, he stared at the Maw itself. That water had to be going somewhere. He weighed his options: go home? or leap into the unknown? Surely Illidan intended for at least some to survive this test. Bracing himself, Fyros took a deep breath and dove for the center of the maelstrom.

Once in the current there was no turning back. Hurled along at a tremendous pace, Fyros was buffeted against the rocks and nearly lost consciousness before plunging into an underground lake. There, in that underground cavern, waited an eyeless elf who introduced himself as Telarius Voidstrider. He then raised a pair of fiery warglaives and assumed the ready position. Soaked, bruised, and bleeding from several scrapes, Fyros raised his own and the duel began. After satisfying Telarius he knew what he was doing, Fyros was given directions to the Dark Portal in the Blasted Lands.

Finding the portal apparently closed and closely guarded, Fyros traded his services as scribe and enchanter for a bunk in Nethergarde Keep. It quickly became apparent that none of the resident scholars had any patience for discussing ways to open or pass through the Dark Portal, but sharing beers with the guards turned up the name Kassim Sharim, a blood mage rumored to be living in a cave outside the keep. Kassim in turn introduced him to the demon hunter Loramus Thalipedes. Each took advantages of his services, but these mostly involved hunting demons who survived on this side of the portal. This was what Fyros was here for, and he thrived on each assignment. Finally, Kassim & Loramus agreed he was ready. They taught him a ritual using charred fragments of the portal along with fel blood to open his own wee passage to Outland.

It was in Outland, at Black Temple, that Fyros officially became Illidari. When his turn came, he was pitted against a wild felbat that towered over him. The bat leaped into the air and returned in a dive, eyeing Fyros as a tasty morsel. Fyros dove and rolled and sliced the bat open from underneath. As it bled out he knew what must come next. The chaos of demonic blood was anathema to Fyros, but this was… necessary. Cutting out the still-beating heart, he lifted it above his face and poured until his mouth ran over. Swallowing it all, he roared savagely “I am Felfáádaern!” (literally: I am the nemesis of all that is fel!). Then he began eating.

As he recovered over the next few days, it was Fel’s obsessive neatness - his compulsion for control - that allowed him to master the chaos within faster than most of the other experiments. When he felt the urge to kill everyone around him, he smiled at them instead. He spent a lot of time sitting alone in the shadows. During drills, he would disappear early only to leap from those shadows in opportune moments. It was after one of these drills that the trainer Theros dubbed him ‘Darkterror’ . Illidan chuckled and the nickname stuck.

3 Likes