DF crafting system is an abomination

Not much to salvage moving forward…just going to watch the dumpster fire from a distance since they are doubling down on the absurdity of it all for TWW (which is going to be rushed anyways).

I’m not a fan of the abysmal rate we get knowledge points. I’m leveling inscription and it will take months just to catch up.

4 Likes

If you’re trying to be fully maxxed, yeah, it will take a few months to catch up. If you’re smart about where you spend your points though, you can be up and running and making a good chunk of gold pretty quickly. It’s 220 points to get maxed in staves and codexes, which is a few weeks after you start. You can make treatises with only 21 points (though that’s not a big moneymaker anymore). Missives can be done with like 125 points. Ink only takes 120 points. Vantus runes are 180. The fauna runes you can probably get away with like 155 unless you’re nightborne.

There’s a lot of overlap too, so once you max out one thing, many other paths will take even fewer points.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will take your advice on this and plan my points out a bit better. Just frustrating to have to wait so long to get maxed out.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s not an uncommon sentiment. Thankfully (or unthankfully depending on how you look at it) the darkmoon faire trinket points are actually just dead points, so you only need 450 points to be effectively maxxed, which should be around 3 1/2 months for everything.

Yeah taking around 6 months to max a profession is beyond ridiculous they should either remove the timegating on knowledge or AT LEAST quadruple the amount you recieve per week going into war within.

2 Likes

The benefits of slower knowledge acquisition far outnumber the benefits of faster knowledge acquisition, and fits much more readily into their stated goals for the system, especially at (but not limited to) the start of an expansion.

The only issue i have with professions this xpac is Crafting orders. I look and 90% of the time there is no crafting orders that are genuine. That part of the system needs and overhaul. It failed

2 Likes

At the start it makes sense. Toward the end there’s no reason to keep the time gating in place though.

2 Likes

Indeed , who is behind this ? Ion ??? He should be fired

2 Likes

Having some kind of barrier to entry is pretty crucial to making the social aspect work. In the absurd extreme of “after X weeks you learn the prof and instantly have all knowledge and recipes” there’s no reason for players to reach out to crafters, because they can do it themselves extremely easily, and the social aspect of crafting breaks down. They clearly want to encourage players to seek out crafters to get items they want, which only works if not everybody can do everything easily.

Having some kind of barrier to entry is also pretty crucial to making the economic aspect work. For all non-game-skill based economic transactions in the game, you’re trading your gold for the other player’s time. As an example, I bought an elemental mage staff earlier. It has a pretty low drop rate from a bunch of classic raid trash, so obviously I didn’t want to go and farm it. I could have farmed it, but I wouldn’t have considered it worth my time. If it was 100% drop from Ragnaros or something, that would have been an easy decision to just go and get it. The fact that there was some time cost and inconvenience associated with it made me willing to pay gold for it, and the easier it is to get, the less gold I would be willing to pay. This hopefully made the guy that farmed it happy, as he was getting a return for the time he invested, or maybe he got lucky and it was a minor windfall. Scarcity is most of what drives value in a digital economy where all items of the same name are identical, and having a barrier to entry creates scarcity, and therefore value.

Community asked for partial mats orders. Community got what it wanted. Did some see it backfire from a mile away? Oh yes! And now? Deal with it!

1 Like

I’m going to be the contrary voice and say that I liked the current system. My main maxed early and was able to continue making good gold throughout the expac. My alts suffered, for sure, but I didn’t need them for gold and didn’t have to spend so much time on them and most of them are like half-leveled by now.

The only thing I didn’t like was that recipes were realm specific. Very difficult to get some recipes on a small realm.

You are a valued member of the WoW community.

Thank you.

:man_surfing: :surfing_woman: