Devs speaking out against blizzard

These threads are always filled with entitled boomlets who think they can get whatever they want just by screaming louder and who hate to actually do their jobs according tot he rules set forth by the employer.

8 Likes

These are all the great reasons I didn’t take a job in these areas in the first place.

7 Likes

here’s the thing, I can only speak for myself and speak to the issue from my perspective so take this with that in mind.
I am under NDA and I am not allowed to spell out what is in the crisis map, but I can tell you that some of it says
“you are not allowed to speak against protected classes of people”
which isn’t the issue people have with the crisis maps, it’s that it fills up each day with new content and it is holding back development. I could be working on something creative and all of a sudden, some of my creative work is “problematic content” without warning and I have to go back and change it and censor it. Which is fine but it just keeps happening. They expect us to check a bunch of boxes, but that list keeps growing as well leaving no room for creativity. But then they dock us for lack of creativity. We can’t win.

16 Likes

I knew tons of people that went remote during covid, 90% of them bragged about how much fun they had at home doing everything except work.

You go on believing that it’s the employers that are evil though, if that helps you sleep at night.

12 Likes

You can get angry all you want. I’m still working from home, being incredibly profitable to my employer, enjoying my life. I’m happy.

Companies that aren’t insane are reaching out to people like me all the time with job offers. They know the truth is that it isn’t hard to keep people like me happy while I make them rich.

But go ahead and label people like me “entitled boomlets” “who hate to actually do their jobs”

You can request we stop asking for things that make our lives better and have the audacity to actually get the things we’re asking for. To have the audacity to ask for something that doesn’t cost a company ANYTHING.

You’re a joke TBH.

30 Likes

Here’s the problem on blizzards end though (or abk in general really) they’ve released like one decent product throughout WFH, and we have no clue if DF will actually end decent.

Doesn’t look good from a company perspective.

1 Like

Housing costs are the real killer. When my wife and I were still a young family with only two kids, the company I worked for (a pretty well-known international PR firm) posted me to one of Canada’s most expensive cities. I was making around $250K a year (pre-tax) and even then it was challenging to put away enough savings for our expanding family. If remote was an option back then, I’d have socked away more money.

8 Likes

Yeah, sure they did. The people I know just had more fun at work because they weren’t disturbed by noise or chatting colleagues and could spend their break time with relaxing stuff instead of rushing to the cafeteria and have some more nonsense small talk.
Don’t know what you’re talking about, my friends who work in IT were much more productive at home. And sure, they talked about being able to watch some Netflix series while coding, but they felt much more relaxed while actually working and being productive. :person_shrugging:

Those people who allegedly bragged about not doing sh’t at home probably aren’t working in the office too though. Taking several long coffee breaks, pretending to be busy when people walk by, having some chats with colleagues… people who don’t want to work and are lazy will always be lazy, doesn’t matter where they work.

29 Likes

It was paired with DE&I, so you can draw you own conclusion.

3 Likes

It doesn’t look bad either. In fact, what does it look? DF, Diablo 4.

Is there anything indicating that productivity was worse than it was when they were in the office?

Should we expect that if the staff is WFH, that we should have a new expansion every 1 year instead of 2 or that we release a new diablo every couple years instead of every…however many?

You sound angry. Very angry.

If people dont like what the rules set forth by their chosen employer then they do not have to work there. You can work wherever ya want but you dont have the right to demand the company pander to you if they dont want to.

If your current employer demanded you come in to the office to work of be fired then you are free to find other work. Same goes for those at Blizzard. Dont like it there then go work elsewhere.

6 Likes

But they werent given the opportunity. They saw a way out, and without actually thinking of the consequences, they moved. Now the piper is calling. This isnt a Blizzard issue, as its happening with federal workers in Canada, and across alot of industries that I actively purchase through… its the fault of the person who took advantage of the situation without planning for the end of the pandemic.

7 Likes

We’re not far enough into DF to judge and D4 isn’t released yet to judge.

But look at shadowlands and how bad that was updated during WFH.

Or all of Activisions flops during that time.

DF is the only decent release in the WFH era, Immortal, SL, OW2, all garbo.

Personally I would have given it a bit more time to see if WFH worked, but I’m not seeing atm.

1 Like

you sound like my employer, but then
WhY dOeS nObOdY wAnT tO wOrK aNyMoRe??? EvErYbOdY iS sO lAzY!!!

9 Likes

Ok, MADmargret.

Thank you for informing me that employees are free to work where they choose.

It sounds like you’re missing the point that the game we are care about will be negatively impacted by this policy, that isn’t a necessary one. That’s the topic.

3 Likes

Well you’re talking to a guy who didn’t like any expansion after WOTLK up until shadowlands, which I did enjoy(I started playing again in S3). So I don’t think we’re going to find a common ground here.

1 Like

This is actually true, lmao. BfA and SL were mostly done while being in the office. Look how that turned out while DF, which was surely being developed with most employees working from home, is actually a pretty solid game again. DF is the best argument against RTO.

Fault? Those people will find a much better job with better conditions and probably more money. Activision Blizzard are the ones who are left out now and are losing important work force, lol. Sure, they don’t have to adapt. But then they shouldn’t do the ‘surprised pikachu’-face when no one want to work for them. Especially with their severely damaged reputation.

14 Likes

The game will be fine. Developers are a dime a dozen and when one leaves another will move in and take over. There are tons of people wanting to design games and Blizzard knows it.

4 Likes

Yea, with that statement I don’t think you’ll find a lot of common ground with any one here.

One thing no one can argue is SL had some of the worst patch cadence since wod when they were training a bunch of new people.

1 Like

I dont think most game companies pay well. Which is weird considering the technical work that needs to be done to get things working sometimes requires a lot of really creative solutions.

I have no proof to back up anything i say, but i wholeheartedly blame Activision.

4 Likes