Development Preview: Cross-Faction Instances

This is great, but with one exception: Guilds should not be limited to same faction. There needs to be an option for the guild leader to opt in to allowing both factions to join. Likewise, I would make it so players looking for a guild will see if it is same-faction or mixed-faction in the guild finder, and also when they receive a guild invite.

Also, regarding faction-specific duties like ICC, BDA, TotC, et cetera, I would recommend selecting the version of the duty that matches the group leader’s faction, and temporarily race-changing all players of the other faction, like how it works in Ashran and BDA.

6 Likes

This is a very welcome change. However, since the writing has been on the wall that this was coming I can’t help but ultimately be disappointed. This change must extend to guilds in order to produce the desired effect for most people. People want to be able to play their desired race without it impacting their guilds and raiding. As you can see from the outpouring of positivity on this change, most people do not care about a historical faction divide that long ago ceased to make sense from a gameplay perspective. I know for some people it is important, but everything I have seen indicates that this is a small fraction of the remaining playerbase. Unrrated PVP queues would also benefit from cross-faction being the default mode as there is a major disparity in queue times and a surprising number of people do not realize mercenary mode is a thing.

2 Likes

I think this is a great first step, but I think allowing us into opting in to thinking of guilds as a 3rd party to the factions fits well enough into the lore (at the end of the day, class halls would essentially be guilds in lore). It certainly is needed for this feature to make sense. Rest of restrictions seem fine.

3 Likes

ESO has faction wars. SWTOR has a faction war. This isn’t a unique concept lol. “Faction war” hasn’t been relevant until BFA, where it failed miserably and was quickly replaced by “big bad uniting the Horde and the Alliance”, like they do every expansion.

This change will bring and keep FAR more players than it will push away.

4 Likes

Can we expect limitations on mythic raids similar to cross-realm being restricted until Hall of Fame closes? If not, what does this mean in regards to forming “Guild Groups” to gain credit towards typical rankings? As well as the affects on hall of fame itself, as there very well would be alliance characters killing the boss with horde guilds.

added a post with some questions to the CC forums: Cross-Faction Announcement

Cross Faction RP? HELL YEAH

1 Like

World of Dubcraft.
This is seriously one of the best changes that could be made. The factions are at peace, and faction leaders have been fighting together forever. It makes sense that the faction members can finally do so.

The only thing I wish Blizzard would do is implement cross faction guilds, but I’m so happy with this change. Finally, my friends and I can co-exist peacefully.

3 Likes
  • Make this an opt-in feature as much as possible. In terms of in-world fiction and player preferences, there are decades of animosity to overcome. While we are excited to offer players the choice to reach across the faction divide and cooperate to overcome common foes, we know that there are many who will react warily to this change, and we don’t want to override those preferences. This is about increasing options for players.

I think the feature should be opt-out if you don’t want cross fraction play and be on by default.

1 Like

Fantastic change. Thank you! It doesn’t really make or break anything for me as a horde player, but it’s good for the health of the game.

1 Like

Because cross-faction guilds don’t make any sense. The Argent Crusade and Factions like them are actual factions, with specific tenets unique to that faction.

Besides, where would you put your dumb, factionless guild in the first place?

He can transfer back now though

Instead of some compromise why not just completely remove the faction barriers??

I would 100% rather play horde races but not if I can’t be in the same guild with my friends, not if I can’t interact with the other faction outside of instanced content or through group finders.

Looks like I’m still going to be stuck on alliance.

9 Likes

How are they gonna min-max this one?

Pff you’re not a dranei shaman? get out of here!

LET’S GOOOOOOO!!! This is AWESOME!

For now. My bet is that won’t last long.

I’m quite happy to hear this!

1 Like

Seriously the amount of good surprises from you guys these last 3 weeks is immense. Really appreciate your hard work to update this game and show you want us to continue to enjoy your content.

3 Likes

Sooner than expected, but welcome nonetheless :smiley:

you’re kidding yourself if you think eso or swtor are competitors to wow