Developer Insights: New Upgrade System in Embers of Neltharion

Can we get classic plus stuff? Dragonflight isn’t Warcraft.

5 Likes

Hey Blizz, thank you for Dragonflight. I think I have put more time into this expansion than BFA/SL combined, been fun.

Loved the class/talent changes, loved the account wide stuff and how easy it was to gear and feel even a little competitive.

This announcement is baffling, after how nice DF started. Multiple currencies to grind, with weekly caps and time gated features is not fun for anyone, so I will bow out and catch you on the next expansion and see how it goes.

25 Likes

From the sound of it mythic+ gearing will be even easier since you don’t need score anymore to upgrade. Just drops, like using concentrated primal focus to upgrade your gear instead of valor.

My only complaint is that it seems like you can no longer upgrade any M+ gear to 13/13 or the new equivalent, it has to come from a higher keystone in order to be on the Hero upgrade path.

4 Likes

There are less currency types going into 10.1 than 10.0 has.

5 mats (4 crests and 1 stone)

compared to 7: valor/storm sigil/the higher storm sigil thing/elemental flux/infusion/concentrated infusion/sparks so its actually less.

tinfoil hat time
This change is to encourage more participation due to numbers dropping

:shushing_face:

10 Likes

Yes…

And grinding infusions is best done sound the easiest dungeons.

Score requires doing all the dungeons.

Reasons it will fail:

• no one complaint about valor.
  • mythic raid loot is again polluting m+
  • max upgrade is not possible if you skip raiding time waste
  • no increased loot rate

Sad blizzard but nice try

13 Likes

I’d consider this a good thing.

Fishing +2s for gear once valor is uncapped is stupid.

2 Likes

It’s no secret that DF sucks, dude, it’s about as Warcraft as freaking Guild Wars. It’s the Netflix adaptation of Warcraft.

5 Likes

The “Upgrade Track” aspect of this has one critical flaw: a lower ilvl drop could potentially be an upgrade simply because you’ll be able to upgrade it higher than the item you currently have. This part really needs to be rethought, imo it should just be one track like it is now, why add needless complexity to something that worked fine? We already have M+ score requirements in place to gate upgrades anyway, since Raiders are finally being included just add an alternate requirement based on boss kills.

The rest of this sounds pretty good though!

9 Likes

ok, so it helps players who would only want to do 16s instead of the 18 average but almost entirely eliminates +2 bonus valor farming. A fair trade.

Too complicated. You’ve lost me

10 Likes

Blizzard: “we know the upgrading system is too complicated”

Also Blizzard: “we’re adding an additional complicated upgrade system and currencies in 10.1”

29 Likes

I think it will also take way more dungeons to upgrade your gear at the highest levels, but we will see how exactly that shakes out.

10 dungeons to upgrade a single piece of gear once is not very fun.

4 Likes

I guess they still don’t get that the appeal of classic isn’t just nostalga but it’s the simplicity and ease of understanding. Gearing is simple, raiding doesn’t require a PHD in mechanics, etc. We just need more content not more complexity.

14 Likes

You had me, I was excited … then of course you decided to add another extra part to make it needlessly complicated. Always 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards with you guys.

The entire part " How Many Upgrades, Exactly?" is not needed. Why can’t I upgrade my normal trinket to mythic quality if I am clearing Mythic content? You can already do this in Mythic+. I spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out how many upgrades what tier to what tier, it’s so unbelievably complicated and unnecessary.

20 Likes

No it doesn’t. Under this new system, if we want to make Crafted gear we use the new “Valor” currency, called Shadowflame Crests; actually it’s one half of the new “Valor” currency.

All that just to avoid the vendored solution from the market leader… FF :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I can agree with that to a point, but if I’m reading this right, you have to obtain items from a +17 or higher to be on the Hero upgrade path. Farming something like a Puzzle Box was annoying enough as is, imagine having to farm it multiple times before you can truly get to max ilvl.

9 Likes