Devastation changes in 10.1 [UPDATED 4/18]

Its not an exaggeration though, all devastation players in pve run 85% mastery or higher and are still barely middle tier in damage.

In arena, run anything less than 70% mastery and you will start to see your damage not being strong enough to create any pressure or kill anything.

Youre just proving my point here lol

1 Like

Yes, we all run heavy mastery because it is our best stat. So?

Other classes don’t need gross volumes of their best stat to remain competitive.

2 Likes

My biggest problem with the forced mastery is just that it feelsbad X2 from a gameplay perspective.

You lose haste (especially in PvP), which makes your globals slow and your casts even more sluggish. On top of that, our mastery has a notable downside, so it makes killing low HP targets a chore.

2 Likes

Thank you i was getting tired lol

i hate the way our mastery works. who thought a smart idea would be to make our damage lower as the enemies health gets lower and not stronger. the most important part of any fight we are at our weakest

3 Likes

They often do. I agree it’s not great design. But it’s not broken.

Updated the topic with the most recent batch of PTR changes.

1 Like

Haven’t playtested yet, but this is definitely a move in the right direction.

3 Likes

So now, we have to channel the full 2.5 second channel, standing still while doing so, with hover STILL interupting casts. We are not a mobile caster, we are officially turret casters, and this game is not made for turret casters.

Edit: With the changes to empowered spells having CD reduced by disintegrate ticks, we are losing even MORE dragonrage if we are forced to move at all while channeling.

1 Like

time to start learning when to pre hover.

3 Likes

If only raids and dungeons didn’t have 6 million abilities that are completely RNG in who the game decides to assign it to and everything was completely predictable…

hence you pre hover so if you get randomly targeted you don’t lose damage?

1 Like

Do you think that hover has infinite charges and no CD? I’m obviously referring to the fact there are plenty of fights that throw out random swirlies and debuffs or both that occur more often than hover’s CD…

2 Likes

guess you gotta pick and choose the priority moments to hover and the moments where you lose damage

The point is that the current Dragonrage tactic is degenerate gameplay. They deliberately want to break it so they can buff Devastation elsewhere.

I’m looking at the redesigned talent tree and it’s much better. I’m especially curious about the new Deep Breath gameplay. Iridescence is still broken design which nobody will pick and I still think Firestorm should have a larger AoE baseline, but it’s much, much better. I’m curious about this build:

Basically, grab all three deep breath talents. Once every minute, cast it for 10 seconds of cheaper disintegrates. I’m wondering whether the last point should go into Font of Magic or Focusing Iris. I’m also thinking about this build:

Basically, same build but give up Shattering Star and Font of Magic for a chance at instant cast Firestorms.

No cap, I was considering rerolling before this build because of how terrible the changes were. That just went out the window. I’m sticking to the Evoker.

1 Like

because of this i tend to just eat the damage. by the time i can click hover something more important needs to be casted so i just assume the healer will keep me up but thats the price of the design either waste charges or eat damage

I don’t get why they want Hover to be so terrible. Still gets removed on interactions and looting, still can’t cast it without interrupting spells, still doesn’t allow us to cast empower spells on the move… I mean Arcane Missiles is castable on the move as soon as you get clearcasting specifically because having to cancel a clearcast arcane missiles completely wrecks your DPS.

Here’s something which should be obvious to the devs but I’ll state it anyway: Having to cancel a channeled spell which consumes resources cripples a class. If you refuse to address that issue, you’ll find that in order for that spec to remain competitive in most fights, you have to buff it in consequence, as in take into account the fact that it won’t be fully channeling its spells most of the time. But then you get another problem, which is that the class will still underperform in some circumstances while extremely overperforming in low mobility environments. I get that you don’t want to just give free movement on Disintegrate all the time, but if you don’t want the aforementioned broken design, you need to make Hover more usable. Just allowing us to pop it during casts without interrupting spells would make a huge difference.

3 Likes

You should be using hover inbetween globals so its lockout isn’t impacting your rotation.

1 Like

if i have to choose between hitting hover or dis during dragon rage im always gonna eat the damage or take the death. same way fire mages did during combust in nyalotha