Devastation changes in 10.1 [UPDATED 4/18]

Perfectly summed up.

3 Likes

Not a fan of the changes, especially if the changes are due to clipping just being weird. I also have big concerns with deep breath being more central, as it’s often incredibly dangerous to use it during raid when a bunch of mechanics are happening.

Mainly it feels like this breaks the entirety of devastation to cater to players who don’t “get” clipping. The great part about the cd reduction being associated with the consumption of essence burst is that you’re not punished for not being able to channel a spell for 30 seconds straight. These changes feel like dragon rage is going to become more like breath of Sindragosa, which feels terrible if the dps conditions are not perfect. And they’re often not perfect.

How bad will this feel during m plus quaking, or vs mobs with interrupting shout abilities where you’re silenced for a long period of time if you’re channeling during the cast? If you get interrupted while channeling, your dragon rage window is over. When you get an unavoidable knock up effect during dragon rage you’re just burning your damage. All feels bad.

Additionally, we REALLY don’t need a single target nerf. Is the intention to make dev like windwalker, where it’s useful on the one aoe boss per raid and garbage on the rest of the mainly single target encounters? I just don’t get the intent behind the design changes. We will have shorter, lower dps, more restrictive dragon rage windows and lower single target. Additionally, hast works against you? Just don’t do this, please. I don’t want to switch specs.

1 Like

It certainly doesn’t show. Then again anyone can fudge a resume.

You can find is character but last i checked he stopped playing it mid-way through 9.1. It’s possible he rerolled, but it’s also possible he just stopped playing.

LOL You know it’s bad when even the devs are trolling you.

1 Like

I’m convinced they’re assaulting their co-workers again with cubicle crawls, and brought in the Harvey Weinstein room. Cause nothing is getting done across multiple classes.

I wonder if with these changes, the single-target spec will be a blue build. Red built will be used for AOE only.

I always went blue build because Firestorm was always too small and tanks would always pull out of it. Plus ground-targeted AoEs with cast times are annoying most the time.

Currently, no recommended builds use Firestorm. And all recommended builds use the red capstone talent. At least for PVE.

Blue build using the blue capstone talent isn’t currently a thing. But it sounds like it may be in 10.1.

Oooh! Yeah, Iridescence… Well, with the changes to Causality meaning the two spenders will reduce their CD at the same rate, we might be able to make better use out of Power Swell but I’m not sure if the blue capstone would measure up the same. Maybe for single target, I suppose.

Both Power Swell and Iridescence need a rework. Kind of baffling that they’re seemingly trying to force value on Iridescence via our tier set rather than just making it better.

If you think so, I strongly recommend you go try Iridescence right now and come back to me. I described the issues with this talent in details back during the beta. The buff only lasts 10 seconds which greatly limits your ability to take advantage of it. Furthermore, during Dragonrage, you want to be casting your Empower spells back to back, making it even harder to take advantage of the buff. Finally, the only way to really take advantage of the buff after using fire breath in single target is to use living flame, which is quite clunky to say the least.

The whole talent is a mess. Make the buff 15 seconds long and make it a 40% buff to the next spell and it’ll work. Or just make the buff colorless: 15 seconds long, stacking up to 4 times, 20% buff to your next spell.

Never mind the issues with Power Swell. That talent means you need to make sure to not be at full Essence every time you cast an Empower spell and has downright negative scaling with Dragonrage. If you want to take advantage of that talent, you need to not be at full essence. If you want to not be at full essence, you need to use an essence consumer without essence burst. If you’re doing that, you’re wasting Dragonrage.

I wish I could go to the beta forums and dig up my post. The blue side of the tree is a mess. I already explained Iridescence and Power Surge, but Eye of Infinity used to trigger Essence Burst on crits, not just refund two essence. The goal was to nerf it because it was arguably OP, but the devs don’t seem to understand how hard of a nerf it was because:

1. Of course, Essence Burst is essentially 3 essence while it now gives 2 essence.
  2. Essence Burst can stack on top of a full Essence Bar while the essence refund from EoI crits can’t.
  3. Essence Burst also boosts the damage of the Essence consumer by 15%

The nerf was so bad that no one in their right mind took EoI anymore. It’s just going to get worse now that it’s competing with the buffed Causality. Then there’s Charged Blast which was the epitome of uselessness. It’s completely useless in single target scenarios because even at 20 stacks, using Pyre will be a net DPS loss. It’s barely of any use in AoE scenarios either since not only is the DPS increase minor, it forces you to go deep into the blue side of the tree which means you have to give up better AoE talents. Eternity’s Span is so minor that it feels like a wasted talent point. Opposingly, Focusing Iris is so important to making Shattering Star viable that it should be baseline. You need to spend 5 talent points for our one DPS cooldown to be functional.

Never mind that Hover. Is. Still. BROKEN. Why is it still being removed when I loot things? When I interact with world objects? Why is it that I still can’t move while casting Empower spells while Hover is active? You know, the spells with potentially the longest cast times which make me extremely vulnerable if I remain immobile yet which are the most essential part of my rotation? Why is it that I still can’t use it mid-cast without cancelling the spell?

And while we’re at it, why was the size of Firestorm buff tacked on a talent which competes with the instant cast Firestorm talent? The size increase should have been baseline. Firestorm is going to remain a useless spell which enemies always accidentally step out of because it’s too small. The low DPS, even in massive AoE scenarios, is not worth the cast time unless it’s instant cast with a 40% damage increase. But without the size increase, enemies just step out of it all the time. Never mind that its interference with our rotation can turn it into a DPS loss.

And why is Font of Magic still a talent?

Sorry, just exasperated. I love this class so far but a lot of design decisions leave me scratching my head.

4 Likes

This pretty much sums up the Dev talent tree.

4 Likes

It’d be cool to be able to do respectable ST damage. Plz.

1 Like

I am interested in this class, but its current state is pretty sad. Will it be good in next season with all of these changes ?

Not unless core design changes are implemented. 25 yard range is the killer, forced stacking of mastery just to be competitive in damage. Its sad really.

1 Like

The mid-range design doesn’t work. It’s just bullheaded stubbornness at this point to keep it that way. But having to stack a specific stat is not a design flaw. Most classes work that way.

Might as well rename our mastery from “Giant Killer” to “Baby Tickler” because it’s all we are doing.

1 Like

Name another spec that has to stack 80% of a stat just to be on par with other comparable dps classes

1 Like

Hypperbole is an awful way to make a point.