Dev or Aug?

Pretty much this devastation or Aug?

I rerolled my evoker from 2022 to start over again to experienced relearn.

1 Like

Hmm, from the way my group works, if you’re DPS, we love you if you know how to use Pyre. But, if you don’t we’ll put the boot to ya and hope for Auggie boys.

Usually when I clarify that I’m playing Aug when signing up I’ve no problem getting into M+ groups, even for those that are a bit higher level than my current ILV. So if you want easy groups, Aug is the way.

If you got a particularly high IO so that getting into groups is no problem, Devastation can pump some insane AoE damage.

Also, extra bit, but people love having an Aug it seems, two nights ago I was running Armidrassil Normal for the first time and I got loot from 2 different people without even asking, they just opened trade and gave it to me because they saw I also rolled for something. It’s… Interesting to say the least.

Basically, strong fire and ice spells as dev or weak earth and black spells but you get an AOE ppl buff.

Be a panther that can murder or a fluffy kitten that everyone loves to hug.

Try each and decide what you like to play.

I personally find Dev better than Aug mainly because it’s nice to look at fancy numbers than being a support buff bot for the team. I do switch back and forth on depending what I feel like playing but if it came down as my primary focus then it’s Dev.

1 Like

This is purely personal preference, and largely stems from the fact that I enjoy both specs. If you find that one spec playstyle just does not mesh at all then don’t play it. But for me, I play Aug in dungeons if I’m with people I trust and know will do good damage, and Dev in raid or when I’m with people I don’t know. I like support playstyles but Aug is kinda miserable to play in raid for me personally.

I feel if one had to focus on just one spec I’d probably say Devastation, as that means that you aren’t boned if the other dps on your team aren’t good.

1 Like

For me I like the aug better. I don’t get the big dps but I enjoy it… But some don’t like the dps of it. so when I go into a raid or mythic I do normally ask which they prefer… Some don’t care some prefer the bonus of Aug. But some rather have the extra dps. I can play both but I’m better at playing aug

the good news is the gear and stats overlap quite a bit so you can just swap based on what fits best.

1 Like

With the exception of weapons/trinkets, there’s almost no overlap. Stat prio is very very different between the two specs.

I have to change my enchants and gems as well as neck, cloak, rings, bracers, legs, and belt when swapping between each, lol.

Granted, if it’s just to do chill content then the stats are quite a bit less relevant.

Yeah the stats are basically polar opposite which is annoying for me who doesn’t want to constantly change jewel pieces/enchants. That’s why my gear is such a mess right now lol.

1 Like

I feel you… I have two bis sets but currently with sims I share a few gemmed pieces so I go through at least 2 weapon enchants and ~6 gems a week.

1 Like

I feel like for myself, this is no longer the case. I noticed almost overnight a drop in instant invites a while ago, and it’s much harder now. As Aug, I would previously get invited out of 30+ applicants. I was told a streamer made a remark that it was better to invite any class other than Aug to keys. Was very glad I got to my goal before that point.

1 Like

Yeah it hasn’t been the case in a long time. If you want easy groups below maybe a 26 key, dev is much better.

I am glad the shift occurred, as a Dev main watching Augs troll through as free carries or dealing with groups begging for Aug in trivial content then wondering why things went wrong when Aug + Two sub-par DPS = No damage.

Because outside of very high-end keys with coordinated groups, Dev is definitely the way to go.

1 Like

I definitely abused the aug-is-OP hype on release to get into keys that I had no business getting into. Augs are no longer as super OP as they were before yeah so don’t use it purely for expecting free quick easy invites.

Crit is not far enough ahead of the other stats for Dev. for there to be any significant difference unless you are in a bleeding edge content (something like 1.1 crit vs 1.0 haste/mast/vers). Haste + Mastery stacking is perfectly viable and acceptable for Dev. particularly if your plan is to flex as needed.

Trinkets I can agree with - Aug wants things that focus on Main stat and Mastery while Dev wants things that focus on Main stat and damage procs - but as above, both options are more than passable for both specs - with the only notable exception being the tank trinket from Amidrasil for M+

Enchants are uniform.

Not if you even remotely care about maximizing dps. You would get far more stacking crit and haste as dev than haste and mastery. The stats are not close between the two specs after the multitude of mastery nerfs dev has received.

You could make the argument that stat optimization is somewhat irrelevant outside of high end content, but that doesn’t change that haste/mastery stacking is suboptimal and talking about stats for that mindset is pointless to begin with.

This is untrue. Even at 10% DR on my crit at 5702 value , crit is still significantly stronger for me than mastery, which is at at full value at 3432 (Crit value @ 10.55 vs Mastery value @ 9.19)

Also not completely accurate. For many raid flights, Aug and dev share the same trinkets (nymue/belor) with balefire being subbed for nymues for the right fights/damage profiles. For dungeons yeah they’re for sure different.

Aug gets a ton of value from direct damage trinkets because of the outsized amount it contributes to their personal dps (and it helps them be less useful in prio target situations).

No, they’re not. Aug will use sophic and dev will use wafting (unless your gear is janky and you have WAY too much haste), and gems and ring enchants are completely different.

It’s interesting seeing both sides, and I appreciate both of your inputs. I will admit I’m probably not planning for ‘bleeding edge maximisation’ since I don’t really want to drop the gold to swap gems/enchants so I’m trying to find a balance between the stats that the two specs want.

Yeah I mean if you want to make just one set for both, secondary stats matter far less for Aug than dev.

I’d suggest following the BiS gear for dev, maybe add in a little more mastery (Arch druids signet would be good). Do your gems and enchants for dev, and put a sophic on your weapon. It won’t be optimal for either, but should do just fine for both.

1 Like