Deserter Debuff For Being Kicked Is a Tad Much

In a perfect world I kind of understand getting deserter if you’re kicked - you must have done something wrong and having some time to think about it wouldn’t hurt. But with the toxicity of the current WoW playerbase, it’s not an appropriate punishment in many cases. Losing the time you invested in the run should be enough.

I can count the times I’ve been removed from a group on one hand since I started playing in vanilla, and last night I was removed from a timewalking group right before the first boss. I don’t pull mobs ahead of the tank, I never flame or troll, and nothing was said in the group prior. The only thing I can think of is that I used Misdirection on the tank at the start of a pull because I had pulled threat on one or two mobs, as there was a big gear difference. No big deal - that’s what FD and MD are for. But I think maybe he was insulted by it, like I was telling him he can’t hold threat? Or he thought I was using it to pull mobs to him? I can’t be sure.

Regardless, I was removed and got a deserter debuff. I just kind of laughed because you have to be incredibly insecure to boot someone like that. Still, a tad annoying to have to jump to an alt.

Anyway, maybe leave off the deserter debuff when kicked in today’s WoW. It’s not always done with honest intent.

3 Likes

yah, I was in a group the other day and we got to the last boss and for some strange reason they kicked me… so not only did I not get to finish the instance I ended up with a 30 minute debuff

2 Likes

It’s one of those things where Blizzard decides It’s best to punish everyone just to make sure a few don’t exploit getting intentionally kicked.

2 Likes

In a perfect world, there would be no kicking.

1 Like

I really hope it’s because they thought you would pull mobs for them and not thinking it’s you saying they don’t hold threat well enough (although neither of those are a good reason to kick someone, unless the mobs you pull are what wipes the group), I use MD all the time on my hunter, and I’m always surprised to see hunters not taking it. I want to be able to go full force into the enemies without having to worry about them turning around and slapping me into the grave (survival hunter problems).

2 Likes

pff back in pre-alpha-beta, when I played, you used to get throat punched

1 Like

Well darn, you got kicked for what I’d say you arguably was doing the right thing.

It’s the same where it’s only happened to me once, is that enough for them to review the deserter debuff? I’m on the fence about it.

I definitely think it’s unfair for a situation like yours

1 Like

I was looking for this. There should be a phased approach. We had just gotten in and I was kicked, so I get a 30 minute debuff. There was no warning, no conversation, just a kick.

If you have multiple toons you play the debuff means nothing

I didn’t think you got a debuff if you made it to the first boss with the group. Or if you did, a greatly diminished debuff for time served with the former group.

We used to have to walk to our raids and dungeons up hill both ways without gear on as well. The good ol’ days of wow.

In all seriousness I have seen an increase of dungeon groups that kick for no reason in the belief that it will lower the pool of people getting loot. Sadly there will always be trollish people in games.

1 Like