Demonology: The Felguard Problem

Pretty much my only problem with Demonology right now is the Felguard (or Wrathguard as the case may be.) The idea of the Felguard is cool. And it makes since to have a lot of abilities to play up the special demon only we have. The problem is you demons are a big part of our utility. Imp can dispel you. Succubus can CC. And most importantly the Felhunter can interrupt. But it feels like I never (or rarely) get to use the other Demons. Its simply a DPS loss to not use the Felguard which does not feel good. But not being able to interrupt does not feel good to me either. It feels especially awkward with Talents like Demonic Strength and Soul Strike.

As far as those Talents go you could retool them to work with the other Demons. Demonic Strength could be combined with Demonwrath from Legion but instead of a channel it could just butt the Demon to radiate demonic energy. Soul Strike could just be made to work with the other Demons. Of course the Imp is ranged and this would not fix the overall problem for me anyway

One idea is, of course to give Demo Warlocks (or just Warlocks in general) a baseline Interrupt. I know a lot of ppl want that. But I don’t have really have a problem with it. Having a Interrupt tied to a pet make the class feel different and unique. you are the only class that can interrupt while casting or stunned. But since I don’t feel like I can use the Felhunter as Demo its more of a problem.

Another idea I had was to bring back Grimoire of Service make it baseline and put the Call Felhunter, Call Observer ect from the PvP talents (make Call ver for the other demons) and put them in the Grimoire. That way you could still have the Felguard and at least have access to some of the other demons utility.

The final idea is (wait for it BM Hunters…) take the Felguard of the your list of Summon Demons and make him a passive (you could even give it a cutesy name like Fel-Bodyguard. Actually just “Felguard” works) in your spell book so you can still glyph him. And he would be a second pet ala Hati. And that way talents like Soul Strike ect would still work and you could just have whatever Demon you want out. You would lose the ability to control his skills but I don’t think that would be a big prob. He wouldn’t need Threatening Presence anymore couse you can just have the Voidwalker out when outdoors etc. We might have to lose his stun, but I don’t see that as important as the other Demons utility. But it is useful especially in PvP. But for arguments sake you could just make that its own ability.

10 Likes

This is also my problem… A “master” of demons hardly uses anything else in her repertoire of summoning magic.

The talents that affect the FG can easily affect the other demons, and even the Imp can just launch… dunno, a Pyroblast-esque spell when you click Soul Strike?

They should just normalize demon damage altogether and let you pick it based on the utility only:

• Felguard: Cleave and stun
  • Succubus: Snare and CC (make seduction actually Mind Control in pve)
  • Felhunter: Interrupt and dispel (add back Paranoia and Tainted Blood)
  • Voidwalker: on-spot pocket tank (make his tanking actually worth a damn)
  • Imp: Support like singe magic and cauterize (also bring back Fire Shield - helping the healers some)

Single target though, they would all net the same overall damage.

4 Likes

I’ve always said, Demo should have 2 Felguards. Tie them both down to our abilities, soul strike send them both at the target and all, and just make them interrupt with axe toss if target is immune to stun…:+1:t4:

Seriously big whoop if Demo is most viable spec in shadowlands cause of this change, Affliction had Legion, Destro has BFA, give Demo shadowlands.

4 Likes

Pretty much the cusp of the problem…they made interrupts and say groups doing interrupt rotations pretty vital now in higher end runs, and since higher stuff is all but immune to stun and swapping to felhound has the downside of a massive dps loss. (only dps in the entire game fyi that has this issue) Not to mention when swapping to felhound we have additional problems due to a few of our talents literally being baked into having felguard out.
Now take all this remove corruptions/azerite traits and add a 6 second summon cast time.

1 Like

I like the current way felguard plays, and like the talents that work throught it (ss and ds); but I am sympathetic to others who want to play the other demon pets. I just hope they don’t gimp the current felguard set up to get there.

If they gave demo, two pets that would solve that.

1 Like

Not having an interrupt on a dps is a massive, soul crushing downside. Demonolgy does not bring anything remotely special enough to remove this vital, near mandatory aspect of the vast majority of dps specs in the game. Im not sure they bring anything special at all, but certainly not anything that compares to the most basic utility function that a dps has in a dungeon group.

Balance doesn’t have an interrupt like other dps, but they have solar beam and they have trees. The only other dps (or tank) spec in the game that does not have an interrupt as a basic part of their kit is shadow priest, and even then they have silence on a longer cooldown.

Why?

Unlink Demonology from Felguard, or give demonolgy an interrupt while using Felguard.

3 Likes

Maybe have the Felguard as our only main pets and have the other one as special on-call pets with special skills.
For example:
We could have “Call: Felhunter” summon a Felhunter for a short time who immediately interrupt the target and if the target isn’t casting any spell or is immune to interrupt then it will use Dispel magic/enrage instead, with a 15-20sec cooldown. This would basically be the interrupt ability for our spec.
Then “Call: Succubus” summon a Succubus for a short time to seduce the target causing him to be disoriented for up to 30sec. Damage will break the effect (like all the other disorent effect).
Also “Call: Voidwalker” temporarily summon a Voidwalker with high armor and hp who will taunt all enemy around him and basicaly tank them for 15-20sec (similar to the shaman earth elemental but not as long lasting) with something like a 5mins cooldowns or maybe instead summon a voidwalker who give you a strong defensive buff with interrupt imunity which could replace Unending Resolve for the demo spec!

1 Like

I just want him to not flop so fast I don’t think that’s too much to ask as a “”"""“master of demons”"""""""

2 Likes

I’ve gotten over the felguard dying by just treating him like a dot that has to be managed; but putting a 6 sec cast time on managing that, which apparently is in the SL alpha, is untenable.

3 Likes

I wanted to main a demo warlock in SL but I can’t because they don’t get an interrupt. It is literally the biggest problem with the spec that I am surprised is staying into SL.

You can argue they can switch to felhunter all you want but they cannot without losing tons of DPS. Even many of their talents simply do not work without a Felguard out. I’m fine with everything being tied to the Felguard but if he can’t interrupt, the class is dead at the summoning stone. It will NEVER be brought to content over anyone else. The other two warlocks also get the cookies, gates, and more, all while being able to interrupt and deal the same dps they would do with any other pet.

THEY EVEN HAVE A PVP TALENT THAT ALLOWS THEM TO INTERRUPT WITHOUT THE FELHUNTER OUT.

This shows that Blizzard knows interrupts are crucial, but apparently only think they are in instanced pvp; but then literally design dungeons and especially mythic raids to REQUIRE interrupts to complete them. If you’ve done Mythic Xanesh this tier, you typically require a whole laundry list of 12+ dps to chain interrupt the adds. Having a demo lock on your team there would be tilting, and honestly as RL, I would just boot them for the fight.

GIVE DEMONOLOGY AN INTERRUPT ON FELGUARD.

Then we worry about the smaller nuances. For example, with so much new customization in SL, I hope warlock demons (not just Felguard) get more glyph-type options to change their looks, as thats the most “fun” aspect I like about them, just wish there were more.

2 Likes

The biggest problem with this is the travel time of the axe. Otherwise its 2 abilities in 1 and would be fine, stun then interrupt.

This is a great idea. As a master of demons, it’s bizarre that Demo actually has less demon utility than Aff/Destro do. The solution almost exists already, too. Just give Demo Grimoire of Sacrifice, but let it keep the buff even when a demon is summoned.

Let Demo choose what demon utility it wants.

They can make it work, like BM Hunters stun even warrior storm hammer.

No it doesn’t. It makes it feel bad.

Also, another problem with felguard is my character is tankier than it is.

2 Likes

With all the big bad demons out there they should allow demo locks to obtain rare demon pets through trials just like back in wow’s old days when you obtained your demon pet in the basement of the local brewery. Just add some challenge to it.

2 Likes

agree. Such an obvious plus move for fun and flavor. imagine if blizzard hired someone who’s only job was to add fun and flavor to each class’ play.

1 Like

We had one in MoP. Thats why we got the green fire quest-line that was later referenced for mage tower challenges. He quit or got fired, its been a time since i looked.

amp.reddit com/r/gaming/comments/1221gu/xelnath_the_lead_game_developer_for_warlocks_wow/

In short he was very vocal negatively about his team and the implications of cataclysm for warlocks in public so they fired him.

Ah yes. While I dislike negativity, it does say something that many people refrence mop demo as a high point…

Give us 2 major pets.
Build the game so that cc besides interrupt are important and suddenly demo starts to look like a useful kit with a stun, interrupt, full cc,cleanse,and offtank capability on demand without mucking our main dps up too badly.(btw give us Fel Domination back at 1.5-2min CD now that summon is 6sec?)

Demo being the toolbox warlock fits well anyway. Destro for dakka, afflic for aoe rot, demo to have tools for every situation.