Demon Hunter - Fel-Scarred Disappointing

Really Blizzard. You Made Impowered Glaive Throw for 1 Spec and Empowered Fire for another. These are honestly the most boring things I could think to do 0 Class fantasy.

Easy Ideas in 5 Minutes:

Flames of Betrayal: Slam your Glaives into the ground creating an eruption of fire, extending any Sigils on the target. Targets becomes charred with fel magic increasing the amount of damage taken from the Demon Hunter for 10 Seconds.

The Demon Within:
You erupt in flames spreading and bouncing between you and your target until X bounces have been completed. Each bounce reduces the damage taken by x% per target hit.

I mean this took me all of 5 minutes to come up with and seem WAY more exciting and Class fitting than Improved Glaive toss and Immolation damage

2 Likes

Yea it’s not interesting at all.

The only good thing is more fury.

You get some haste with a choice node. A few resets.

Just not very interesting.

I think it’s awesome. It gives meta offensive benefit for VDH finally, it makes VDH tankier outside of meta, and adds more fiery flavor to havoc without increasing complexity, which the spec absolutely doesn’t need.

Aldrachi Reaver is like a microcosm of everything that’s been bad about the DF talent tree introduction. This by contrast is a lot of cool flavor. I think people are looking for a lot more complexity in hero specs than was ever intended. And I think Jerith’s comments in the official alpha thread are spot on.

5 Likes

I like the theme of Fel-Scarred quite a bit. I just hope the visuals turn out cool when they’re done.

3 Likes

Funny how people started saying “it’s bad” after max said it was bad. When it’s actually a extremely solid tree with visuals being made for it rn

2 Likes

Posted this long before a “Max” video… Its not that its bad its that its Thematically boring and devoid of an attempt at class fantasy

1 Like

The HT of the DH are not bad, the problem is that they are not exciting, there is no “Sunfury” in the DH.

2 Likes

No it isn’t.

I didn’t even hear about max opinion and i still thought it was boring.

Stop projecting.

There is nothing in this tree that stands above the rest, the only really good thing is the extra fury pool.

It’s not as boring as wildstalker, but it’s hardly interesting.

The whole class is already inherently “Sunfury.” Asking for additional distinctive visual excitement is like asking Hot Topic to make their stores Even More.

You’re missing the point.

Sunfury, frostfire etc are actually FUN.

They significantly improve the gameplay.

It’s not just about visuals.

The underlying gameplay of DF havoc isn’t fun though, or at least not as fun as it was in every other expansion havoc has existed, so looking to hero talents to fix that is misguided.

I would agree that the entirely passive nature of this tree doesn’t do much to change up the frustration with the baseline tree. They aren’t going to make a hero tree that changes Initiative to just always be on, or makes it so you don’t have to use Essence Break anymore.

The spec has no business looking for more opportunities for skill expression. If anything, this tree, which gives you nothing but upsides feels positively relieving compared with Aldrachi Reaver, which allows simcraft writers an opportunity for skill expression and no one else.

1 Like

Yea you’re talking some grade A bs at this point.

Havoc not as fun as in other expansions? What are you even smoking?

Room for improvement, yea, but to say that dh is straight up the worst version we had, no, that’s crazy talk.

It is harder to play well than it’s ever been, and that would be fine if there were nothing but gains to be made from mastering the added difficulty, but mastering the added difficulty is required to reach the point at which the spec is balanced against other specs like ret paladin or BM hunter, specs that a potato can play well.

The net result is that going into DF, a character that I was pretty good at playing became a character I wasn’t as good with anymore. That feels awful. Anyone selling software upgrades that cause their clients to feel that way are asking for it.

I am glad you are enjoying it! Your feedback is just as valuable as mine, and letting the devs know that you think they’re going in the correct direction is important. It doesn’t make what I’m saying “grade A bs” though, because it’s how I feel.

3 Likes

like i stated before in other places, you are judging a book by its not finished paper back cover. the mage hero trees are extremely passive as well

Fel-Scarred tree for VDH is incredible. Demonsurge moves Vengeance Meta closer to Havoc Meta into DPS cooldown. Violent Transformation is the best talent in a whole tree, it resets the cooldown of SoF and Fel Dev. That means you can do like FB > SoF > IA > SoF > Fel Dev > Meta > SoF > Fel Dev, this is incredible.

3 Likes

Fel-Scar Heroes let’s go!
I AM MY SCARS!

1 Like

I don’t see this as a negative tbh. I think it’s fine for some specs to be harder than other specs for roughly the same output simply because I find complexity fun. The feeling of mastering a complex spec is its own reward for me. I couldn’t stand Havoc in Legion and BfA because it was so brainless. DF Havoc is overall the best it’s ever been. Sorry to hear you’re not having as good of a time, though.

But, ironically, I can’t stand the Momentum/Inertia builds. I like complexity, but I hate using my mobility for DPS. Fortunately for me, even the Low Mover build gives me an 8 button rotation, which I like.

I like that Aldrachi Reaver raises the skill ceiling, but I like using Metamorph more, so I’ll probably go Fel-Scarred more often than not.

I still feel both trees aren’t designed around no mover since that’s all about demon form uptime, so we get a lot less from glaive/out-of-meta nodes, which are the bulk of nodes in both trees. While Fel Scarred thematically seems better, it still feels VERY uninspired and pretty dull. I do like having pretty much all abilities empowered in demon form, but the surge part is lame, and the out-of-meta stuff is too since the alternative was more meta uptime/stronger meta(could be a choice node for these to appease both burst/sustain playstyles)

1 Like

i agree, people need to stop pointing at other specs and go “that spec is ez and does more damage” spec difficulty = spec output is such a dated concept and shouldnt be indulged. remember before DF, havoc was a 3 button class

1 Like

Seems ok, I guess. At the very least there’s no additional maintenance on top of us in Havoc. Meta talents will be mandatory for this, though. Additional protection is nice.

It says EB, SoF and Immo will be empowered. Is this another icon change with a % bonus to dmg? Boring, but Meta already works that way. It’s a bonus consistency. This will help make skills worth using during Meta.

Considering this spec will empower Immo, A Fire Inside should get a small change, imo. Make it proc from any Immo damage but with a low chance. Attaching it to its cast feels counterintuitive and clunky. Designing it this way for the sake of Fel Barrage is part of the problem.

The main issue is still that Havoc has too many cds that must be lined up to work well. Eye B. and E. Break, F. Barrage and everything that adds fury, etc. I can’t even pick my double dash/momentum because I waste two talents and lose dps in the process. Alternatives don’t seem to be as good as these combos, so I hope Fel-S can help with that.

Essence Break has no fantasy behind it and happen to be a ‘cone atk’ on class themed around ‘spin atks’. On top of that, there’s too much DPS on a short duration debuff. I don’t even like that Meta is based on time, so I dislike Essence even more for it. Right now, it feels like an extra, annoying step to Meta/Eye Beam. Might be better to get rid of it an allow Meta to last longer, but honestly, I’d rather have this removed or become nearly useless for Fel-scarred Havoc.