Delaryn needs to be part of the story

Well, clearly you wouldn’t, I get it. I’m not denying their stories were handled badly ( and for both sides ) but I think they deserve better and I for one would like to see more of them.

On that I agree. The tendency to write actual Forsaken characters out of the story and replace them with the likes of Calia is worrying, to say the least. I don’t like that either. And I’m not advocating a starring role for Delaryn or Derek in the future Forsaken storyline. I just want something better for them than what they got, namely being reduced to a mere plot device to drive home the point how evil and ruthless Sylvanas is. And be forgotten afterwards.

( I’m aware I’m in the minority on that though and if it doesn’t happen then it doesn’t happen.)

1 Like

We used to get a lot of exposure to the rank and file undead through questlines. You’d meet that mad scientist at his impromptu lab, or help some lady recover her lost felpuppy. Occasionally a minor lieutenant would hint at a larger plot. And the major lore characters would show up from time-to-time to heighten the narrative.

Now we still have those major lore characters showing up – but we left everyone else at home. I don’t know how apothecaries feel about the House of Plagues, or how the science of fleshcraft has been changed.

Same goes for all of the rest of the citizens of Azeroth.

14 Likes

The whole “leave everyone behind and have no interaction with your own faction” is something that has been a thing since… I wanna say… Uldum in Cataclysm, but it became much more of a thing in MoP. Though with Uldum we were still traveling with recurring neutral NPCs (and there were so many faction-specific quests in Cataclysm, I can’t fault it in that regard), and MoP it was meant to fit a greater narrative in regards to the faction war, and it did have faction-specific quests that were very meaningful… sometimes.

Though I don’t think the whole “leave them behind” aspect of questing really started to feel invasive until Legion for me. I guess arguably WoD, but I felt disconnected from all of WoD in general, so it’s hard to say.

I know a lot of players were feeling itchy to go back to those kinds of quests after WoD and Legion, and BfA promised to be that… but then it wasn’t. Not really, anyway. There were bits and pieces like the Bilgewater and Darkspear quests in Naz’mir, but then Vol’dun was completely cut off from all Horde NPCs. Zuldazar was neat, but it was also a brand new world story in a similar vein to some Pandaria zones (I’m drawing a blank, but I think the experience was similar for Alliance BfA too). It was also hard to really be motivated to care about the faction war in general after that dead-on-arrival prelaunch event too, especially knowing that the story was going to culminate in ending where MoP ended… again.

I think what pissed me off about BfA was knowing well before SL was announced that the next two expansions to follow would be “go visit another world without any faction NPCs” stories.

/5 AM rant

8 Likes

Seems lately Blizzard have a nihilist in charge of their narrative & lore. They’re ridiculously destructive on a often boring or stupid scale, I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring Delaryn back into the story simply to kill her off sadly.

3 Likes

Calia and Derek should get nothing but being killed off like the trash they are. Nothing of value is lost with these characters. Screw them and fans that may like them. They are not real Forsaken and never will be.

2 Likes

How interesting.

I don’t think they tried hard in-so-far as she’s a minor character with relatively little lore focus.

Except being confused and angry about the poor nature of their society.

1 Like

The less follow up we have on BFA storylines the happier I’ll be. Well and truly done with that tire fire.

7 Likes

Can we go take BfA and any related stories, out back, put them out of their misery and make a bonfire out of the bodies?

It would be more satisfying than anything we got during BfA and related to BfA

3 Likes

Her boyfriend is one of the souls we rescued from the Maw and brought to Ardenwealde. In fact he asks us to look for her when we go back, which makes her being raised undead even worse somehow >_>; “Good news Ferryn, your girlfriend isn’t in the Maw anymore, bad news…she’s walking around on Azeroth as an emo dark ranger who was working for the woman who personally murdered her and had her boyfriend raise her out of spite.”

3 Likes

Calia and Derek are trash characters. There is nothing to debate.

1 Like

I was commenting on how you were not ‘trying to make the life of ther other faction miserable’ while also saying ‘screw the fans of X character’.

Probably because Delaryn is a Night Elf, plus what happened to her makes Sylvanas look bad and Blizzard can’t have that.

But I agree that Delaryn is a very interesting character who’s story needs to be explored a lot more.

1 Like

What are you talking about? Blizzard has been doing nothing but make sure Sylvanas looks as bad as possible ever since Legion.

Heck, I’m pretty sure Delaryn died in the first place just for the purpose of making Sylvanas look bad.

11 Likes

Sylvanas didn’t need to kill Delaryn to look bad, what? Delaryn was killed pretty much, because she was a primary Alliance quest giver during that lengthy scenario, the one Blizzard atleast partially appears to be giving Sylvanas justification for doing so. Atleast she’s pouting about it lately, or something.

They certainly only started making her look bad from WoT onwards though, she was seen as untouchable throughout Legion.

Delaryn was going to die regardless. The part that makes her death tragic was Sylvanas going so far to twist the dagger before she died.

They made a point to say Sylvanas fired the killing arrow to put her down in the novella because seeing her still fighting to protect her home/people despite other arrows in her was irritating to her. Forcing her to watch Teldrassil burn as she died and then deliberately targeting her for raising was just a pure malice cherry on top of an already spiteful banshee queen sundae.

1 Like

It’s odd that Blizzard removed Thorn of Wars and just basically abandoned the story altogether like nothing happened.

4 Likes

The War of Thorns was just a prepatch event and those tend to get removed. If I recall correctly, the only one that really stuck around is remnants of the WoD prepatch.

2 Likes

Meh, she sucks and deserves to be punished for what she did to her people at Darkshore.

Sylvanas was literally mind controlled into killing her people at Silvermoon which was a big reason as to why she hated Arthas so much.

Delaryn on the other hand chose to align herself with the people that murdered her and turned that into killing other Night Elves.

Delaryn is one of the most pathetic characters we’ve seen in a long time and personally her story disgusts me.

3 Likes

No, they already piled on lots and lots of reasons for Sylvanas to look bad. But I didn’t say Delaryn died because otherwise Sylvanas would have looked good. She died to make Sylvanas look even worse.

3 Likes