Decoy issues

Why is Decoy dropping after one round? This just happened to me 6 times in a row. I’ve noticed it drops after 1 round of a stampede, but now it’s occasionally dropping after 1 round of what seems to be any attack.

I used to be able to level pets in Frostfire Ridge with just one Decoy pet and the leveling pet. Now I seem to need the third pet more often than not.

Is this a bug, or was Decoy intentionally changed?

1 Like

Some multi strike abilities can snuff a decoy in one round.

I’ll check later when I’m on as I have a couple of new pets to level and see if I notice anything strange.

Edit: Did some leveling just now, and I am not finding any issues with Decoy.

Decoy protects your team against 2 attacks, not 2 rounds.

If there is a debuff, or environmental damage like Lightning Storm that adds a second attack onto the first, then one attack is enough to snuff out that decoy.

2 Likes

Thank you. Still, something has changed. I keep losing level 1 pets, and I never did in the past.

Could you explain in a bit more detail what your battle strategy is.

I just tried (in Frostfire) starting with a 25 Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Decoy. He was fastest so went first and Decoy absorbed a hit.

Swapped to a Level 1, and Decoy absorbed hit on him. Swapped back, safely, to the MPD.

Same as you, drop a decoy, switch to leveling pet. Often, not always, the decoy is gone when the leveling pet comes in. I’ve frequently seen it drop after one round whether or not I switch out a pet. I watched this happen 6 times in a row. Most times 1 round of a stampede will take it out. I don’t remember this ever happening in the past, though I just recently subscribed after not playing for about 7 months. It just seems like something changed in that time.

That’s because Stampede hits 3 times, as in it gets 3 hits per round, and Decoy only protects from 2 hits.

1 Like

A few of the pets have the Flurry ability, which will also take out Decoy in one round (and hit the level 1 pet at the end). This isn’t a recent change at all. I think it has been this way forever…at least since I can remember.

1 Like

I use this against Syd the Squid at the Darkmoon Faire. He throws up Bubble which is just another version of Decoy and a fast fox/wolf using Flurry will clear the Bubble and if lucky will get a third strike that will damage Syd.

1 Like

I’ve been doing pet battles for years now and haven’t seen any change with Decoy and Bubble, they’re good for two attacks, period. Any ability that hits more than once, like Stampede or Flock, is going to take them out. Flurry is a 1-2 hit ability for the slower pet so might only hit once and leave the defense up.

Next time you suspect Decoy not working right, need some documentation. A screenshot of the your Pet Battle log would help a lot if you need to open a ticket on this.

1 Like