Decoupling Dracthyr from Evoker

So, now that I’ve gone ahead and made a dragon there are a couple things I’ve noticed.

Firstly, the capacity for Dracthyr to be things other than Evokers is stated plain and clear within the first few NPCs you meet in the intro quest.

Secondly, we need to talk about the racials of the Dracthyr, notably Soar, Glide, Tail Swipe, and Wing Buffet. While the latter three aren’t terribly offensive on their own (though did Dracthyr really need two displacement racials?), Soar is the eighty-ton mammoth in the room. That said, Soar makes perfect sense as an Evoker ability; the very same NPC that confirms Dracthyr can be more than Evokers also confirms that Evokers put in extra effort to Soar. Which, combined with Hover being an Evoker ability, makes sense that Evokers would have a stronger affinity toward their natural flight capabilities.

Which leads to the premise, decoupling the Dracthyr race from the Evoker class. Firstly, I’d probably have Tail Swipe and Wing Buffet share a cooldown, but I’m not married to the idea and they don’t do damage anyway, though displacement can be powerful in PvP. Soar would become Evoker exclusive. Glide can remain as-is (though maybe a slightly less forgiving arc if the DHs complain loudly enough). Since they have wings, a kind of ‘Flying Wild’ could be easily granted to all Dracthyr.

With these simple tweaks, I believe the Dracthyr can have a future unbound from the disgraceful decision to limit them to a single class.

3 Likes

I actually made a post (on an alt, sue me) outlining my ideas on how and why to do this.

Unfortunately, people weren’t completely keen on the idea.

2 Likes

Blizzard stated they might add other classes to Dracthyr later. I think they didn’t due to time constraints and will have time to add them later.
In regards to separating evoker from dracthyr, it won’t happen. The whole point of the class is that they use their dragon heritage to channel different powers. You can’t teach someone to use a heritage they don’t have.

5 Likes

An evoker, as I understand it, wields the power of the five flights. That doesn’t require any kind of intimate connection, only an affinity for draconic power. It comes easily to the Dracthyr for reasons I imagine are obvious, but they were ultimately lab-created, a process that should be able to be replicated with enough study and likely applied to other races in the form of dragon communion or other kinds of joining. So, like DHs, they’re commonly associated with a particular race but that race is not (or, rather, should not) be a determinant as to proficiency in the class.

Dracthyr also need other classes, full stop, and to have proper transmog options. I want my dragon to wear a robe. u.u;

They can do it because they are genetically linked, so it does require a pretty strong connection…

3 Likes

The Sundered Flame are using Mage and Rogue Dracthyr. Doesn’t seem to be due to corruption like the Primalists. :thinking:

edit: Certain more encounters with these foes might slip more combinations.

1 Like

I think more recently they’ve said that it’s pretty unlikely that they will. They conceived of the race and class being very dependent on each other.

well that’s good. i would hate for them to have to worry about adding plate gear to dracthyr that wont show up at all anyway

3 Likes

I mean, ‘dragon ancestry’ isn’t a hard thing to throw around to be entirely honest. And, again, part of that lab research likely involved splicing of a sort, so transplantation of those abilities isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

And this is a horrible decision that cripples the appeal of the race right out of the gate and piledrives anything long-term. What a shame.

They did that with their weird insistence on limiting Soar so much. I haven’t touched my Evoker since getting Dragonriding on other characters. Riding a different dragon on my dragon feels stupid so I just haven’t been interested.

1 Like

Everyone will have their own priority but being locked to Mage-but-worse isn’t my idea of a great character.

:dracthyr_shrug:

Doesn’t bother me. I’ve always assumed that if dragons were ever playable then it would be as a baked together race/class. Besides, that interview all but promises that they’re exploring draconic allied races as options for people who want that itch scratched.

1 Like

Which is a half-measure that didn’t need to be taken if they’d just been serious about properly implementing the Dracthyr. Hopefully new races down the line don’t get this kind of garbage treatment.

Dracthyr and Evoker both need to be able to expand or they’ll pretty much die out with Dragonflight.

Eh, they’ll still be around, I’m sure.

All it takes is one patch with them being meta and you’ll immediately get tired of seeing them.

Imagine how annoying a dracthyr DK would be to 1v1 for a caster.

Yes, but with literally one option, you only ever need one Dracthyr, which is a real shame. They’d look stellar in plate options and robes, and the race as a whole would be able to have a reason to exist outside of DF. The class is take-it-or-leave-it, but the race really needs options.

Would def like other classes to be available. Was extremely hyped for the dragons, but I’ve gotten so bored of playing my evoker since they were added :dracthyr_cry_animated:

Aside from me thinking that that is a ridiculous idea, there’s also the fact that Blizz would have already thought about this when deciding which abilities were Evoker stuff and which were Dracthyr Racials. Soar is already classified as a racial, so the devs have made their decision.

3 Likes

The ‘why’ is simple: If Evoker is meant to be the ‘pinnacle’ of draconic ability, then Soar would be the more advanced version of whatver ‘Flying Wild’ would be called.

To be fair, what they say and what they do can potentially be two completely different things. This happens pretty often, too. Sometimes for the better, sometimes…not so much.

1 Like