Deciding between tanks

Hi guys, I’m posting this here and in the monk forum to try to get some insight before I invest in a class. I’ve been trying to read up as much as possible on both warriors and monks to get the best idea of them as I can in addition to leveling them both to 60. Now that I’ve gotten a feel for both I’m trying to decide which I’d like to bring to 120 and invest the time into making my new main.

I am looking for an all around tank as I enjoy both m+ and raiding equally, and plan on doing both. I don’t have a preference on aesthetic, and both are fun for me to play. I’m just wondering, in your personal opinion, what would be a better choice for an all around tank at this point in the expansion?

I’ve never played a monk tank, so I can’t really add any pros or cons for that.

As a Prot Warrior you’ll have good magical mitigation with Ignore Pain and great physical mitigation with shield block. Highly mobile with Charge/Intercept and Heroic Leap. You bring a battle shout and a group health CD (Rallying Cry). You have 2 big Defensive CD’s with shield wall and Last Stand. Above average aoe dps with thunderclap and an aoe stun with shockwave.

But when it comes down to it, I just like my warrior better than any other class. So I play Fury most of the time and tank for my guilds alt raid and keys in the 10-13 range. I would ask if you prefer the other specs for your Monk or Warrior as well as that might make a big difference in your tank choice. You might like Prot warrior, but not like warrior dps specs.

If none of that has helped with your decision (and I know you said aesthetics don’t matter) just remember that plate Tmogs are always the best Tmogs.

1 Like

Most of my experience is with blood and pally tanking. Only recently started tanking as a warrior and it’s much more fun to me. No experience with monk.

think of it this way, for some tanking with a warrior can be a little difficult to get used to at first, but after you tank high level mythic keys, or are a main tank in a main raid group, its like how blizzard calls the warrior “behind that shield is a brutal tactition” so when you get to that point you truly feel like a badass. i can say one thing for certain, none of the other tank specs gave me that feeling

1 Like

How can you be a tank without armor? The fact that people consider monks tanks at all is a travesty! Grrr.

Seriously, Protection Warrior is good for both M+ and raiding. Hopefully this will still be the case in Shadowlands. I have no idea about Monk.

Prot War: Good physical damage mitigation and HUGE claps

BrM Monk: Stagger is OP and lots of tools for running away like a coward

1 Like

“good magical mitigation”

no. IP isn’t mitigation. it’s a rage dump.

2 Likes

Technically you could say thay and call it an absorb but you could also call it mitigation since it only absorbs part of the damage coming through.

you never use IP solely for mitigation purposes.

why not try a monk then if you have no clue?

I learned all I needed to know from my Panda Warrior friend above.

Prot warrior is the most boring tank spec. Unless you play Fury or Arms and have to tank as prot as an offspec, stay away from it. If you want to mainly play tank, play a real tank class.

As someone who plays every single tank class… I disagree with you whole-heart-idly. Prot warriors are one of the most interesting and fun tanks. A lot of tools to work with…

How is it not mitigation? It reduces incoming damage and absorbs damage. That sounds like mitigating damage to me.

It’s not the only thing that should be used albeit but it still mitigates damage.

brew has a very unique mitigation it deals with really heavy spike damage extremely well and it has tons of utility. Brew hasnt had the best track record over the years of being a top tier tank. monk as a whole are really feast or famine. that being said all monk specs are extremely fun to play and have tons of utility and they are going through some fundamental changes in shadowlands so until we get into the beta its going to be hard to pin down where they are going to end up power wise

well I mean, in all seriousness, if youre into dungeons and dragons or read a lot of fantasy novels it would really be the opposite. a warrior cant hold a candle to what a monk can do.

a high level monks skin would be beyond steel and only magic could damage them.

vs armor, which folds

The theory is that if you are drunk enough, you can take a large amount of damage.

I wouldn’t say warriors have ‘good’ magic mitigation… maybe to some abilities, those that you can reflect, but warriors rely much more on their group to ensure spells are kicked than other tanks. IP is laughable DR. However, the absurd amounts of vers available now through corruption helps the magic issue significantly. Between the flat DR of verse + the additional IP from vers, it actually does something.

Physical mitgation is unmatched, you are absolutley bullet proof against physcial damage so long as you have SB up.

Warrior is a lot of fun. It’s a push whatever button lights up class which is in itself very non intriguing. But thunderclap does a crapton of damage and is actually very satisfying to press. Add in charge, leap, reflect, and huge uptime on avatar, it’s very fun to play.

I haven’t played brew at a high level but the class is so damn boring it hurts. There’s really nothing engaging about it IMO and there’s no major offensive CD like avatar or wings (on paladin) that allow you to beat up some mobbs every so often.

If I were you, I’d go warrior. A higher skill ceiling, but more worthwhile to play.

You never use ignore pain solely as mitigation, it’s literally a 10% HP absorb for 40 rage. As prot warrior your goal is to keep shield block up as much as possible while using ignore pain to dump rage when you hit usually 50+ rage.

It also reduces all incoming damage by 50%. I know what you’re saying.