Debunking the "Anti-RDF" arguments!

That’s a long wall of text to try and pretend retail doesn’t exist. Sorry but the less slippery this slope is the better.

1 Like

So what is wrong with blocking people from queuing for Heroics using Dungeon Finder? And Normal Dungeons aren’t the “end-game” content.

6 Likes

Yes, because it made them more abundant. If you read my post about Wintergrasp’s abundance, too, it makes sense.

Access to everything easy all the time waters it down.

there’s nothing wrong with the horse and buggy

ppl r just lazy smh

1 Like

make RDF server-bound and doesn’t teleport you to the dungeon for TBC+Wrath dungeons. it actually would improve the social aspect of the game, but if it’s cross-server absolutely no one will care who they team up with it might as well just be a group of NPCs you will never see that character again. blizzard absolutely has the means to make RDF fit into classic content. this idea “you don’t have to use it” is dumb considering it will kill LFM groups one of the very few avenue you have to see more people from your realm will die overnight

1 Like

The social aspect of forming groups has nothing to do with whether you chat with your party members while in the instance. It’s worrying that people seem to genuinely believe this is what is meant when they discuss how Dungeon Finder impacts social experiences in WoW.

While leveling over hours, days, and weeks, it’s not uncommon to run into the same person or people from time to time, be it for group quests or instances. This shared experience over time can lead to a form of social bonding. Heck, I still remember during the original TBC leveling a Priest with a friend of mine on a Warrior. We would often run into this shaman while questing in the open world or in instances, so much that it felt as though we were leveling together, and we became friends (Hey Zarth! Wherever you are now).

With Dungeon Finder, while it’s possible that you’ll run into the same person or people in instance groups, you won’t run into people who aren’t on your server outside of those instance groups, and even if you can befriend them, you cannot cross-realm party or queue, so this is somewhat impactful for some people’s social experience in the game.

It depends on what you mean by communities. If you consider guilds that are focused on Dungeon Leveling, then I can see a compelling case being made. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Already addressed in the point above.

I haven’t seen this point raised in an anti-RDF context. WotLK Classic is already far easier than WoW Classic or TBC Classic, to the point that it’s a lot closer to Retail, where there’s little fear of dying while pulling lots of stuff.

We can definitely pick who we want in our groups. You can form a 5-person party and queue for random or specific dungeons with Dungeon Finder.

This is quite subjective anyway. Retail, as far as I can tell, is far more popular still than the Classic series, so just because some people who play Classic like to bash on Retail doesn’t really mean it’s in a bad state. Further, while the peak population of WoW may have been during Cataclysm, that doesn’t necessarily mean that something suddenly changed with the game that caused people to leave, but who knows?

I personally think that the Dungeon Finder did and does reduce shared social experiences, which can be seen as a negative, especially for those who may be drawn to this type of game specifically seeking shared social experiences.

Cool post! Glad you’re thinking about these things and sharing them with the community. :heart:

1 Like

So you think making things less abundant is better for the game?

This is what leads to retails AP grind systems and why retail has been bad.

MMOs now are designed about respecting players time.

If i want to log on and spam dungeons i should be able to, the dungeon should be the hard part not the group forming.

This is why FF14 has done so well.

You can log on and do the things you want without wasting time.

26 Likes

I wish I could give you a million likes just for this comment here :heart:

24 Likes

WoW shouldn’t be like FF14 though, I’m playing FF14 now and it might as well be a solo game compared to my experience with classic actually making friends. it sure is convenient just clicking a button and forming into a group of randoms from various servers that stomp a dungeon in record time but it’s not the same experience as finding my first classic guild through a fun ZF group. I’d like server-bound RDF because I want to see more people from my realm it is more meaningful playing with players you can see in Dalaran

1 Like

It didn’t though. Back in Wrath originally any decently sized realm was rampant with having issues being able to actually phase into a dungeon because instance servers were at capacity. Dungeons were massive in Wrath because their attitude with using dungeons as the vessel to push the whole play the patch, not the expansion concept via emblems.

This is 90% of their comments… EG: I’m too lazy to argue a valid counter and I’m bored stuck at work statement.

2 Likes

Hey look, opinions.

Neat!

This whole post debunks nothing.

1 Like

Or the fact it is 7.16am in the morning here in Sydney and Oceanic Servers are pretty much quiet due to people either waking up to go to work or people still be asleep. Bet you never thought about this one.

EDIT: Also, speaking of work, I’m off. Thanks for the reminder. (Oh wait, it’s day off :smiley: )

1 Like

Hello fellow Aussie, I too have the day off :slight_smile:

1 Like

Day Off Party :smiley:

2 Likes

You now it, been up all night playing wow :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

1 Like

Some things, yes. The same reason we have weekly raid lockouts. Nothing in a game, not even gear, NEEDS to be scarce, but scarcity adds value.

I think that is subjective, mostly due to “what the item is”.

1 Like

They’re strange to you because they have an ulterior motive that they don’t want you to know about. They all have guilds or friends that make A LOT of money off of GDKP dungeon runs and they realize RDF would take a lot of their business away.

16 Likes