Dear WOW Developers - Talent System

What do we, the community, have to do to persuade you guys to bring back something similar to the old talent system? I’m not necessarily speaking for those who don’t like the old talent system, would rather keep the current, want something else or are indifferent - but c’mon, regardless of which camp you’re in you have to admit the balance of the complexity, the power and the choice the old talent system provided was very fun and interesting. Not to mention it was clear that your character improved in power and progression with each level - it felt great.

I feel with today’s talent system there’s only a few viable talent setups for each specialization. And I’m not saying we should get rid of “Fire Mage” and “Frost Mage” and bake it back down to one class with separate trees. I’m talking about having a talent tree full of power and game play improving options for each specialization, similar to the artifacts of Legion.

What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

They are. It’s called Classic WoW and you can soon go back to the old ways.

1 Like

I will be playing Classic, I’m very hyped for it and blessed that Blizzard is going through with launching Classic servers. But do you feel that it’s so wrong or impossible to put in talent trees in modern WOW? And why?

2 Likes

I’d actually prefer they remove this idea of specs and go back to people being Paladins, Hunters, Mages etc… instead of - insert spec - and utilize the old talent tree system but refine it so more options are viable instead of a cookie-cutter build.

5 Likes

Blizz has spoken on this before. They feel the old talent systems were overly bloated and wanted to focus more on “meaningful choice”. While I admit I miss RPG elements from classic, the problem isn’t that the talent systems of old are gone, but rather the new talent systems have dead talents that no one will take under any circumstance. Shadow Covenant for Discipline is a good example.

What Blizz has to do is be less lazy involving class design, and as they said in an interview, stop designing with “fear” being a major influence. Bring back fun and intuitive game play like MoP and maybe some more RPG elements, and we’ll be in a much better state.

4 Likes

I would at least love talents for the leveling process, even if it completely fills out like the artifact weapon. :frowning:

1 Like

I very much respect this point of view. I often reminisce of these times where everyone was one class but approached their class very differently, in game play and talent selection. I wouldn’t mind if modern WOW reverted to this idea.

2 Likes

Same here, excited for Classic. I don’t think its wrong or impossible. I think they are making the game EZ mode to cater to the more casual players. Also balancing classes without too many choices in spec. From what I hear balance of classes is bad now, imagine going back to the many factors of the talent tree.

I vastly prefer the new talent system. I typically switch talents (not all, but some) on a fight by fight basis, so in my experience the “only one or two viable talent set ups” is not accurate.

4 Likes

wow needs a complete over haul of all of its games systems.

2 Likes

Yeah a lot feels like they were lazy or designed very defensively. Smaller companies are dishing out huge content updates much faster so it really stumps me how Blizzard restricts themselves in only do X during patches and everything else at expansion launch.

If it’s a fear, like mentioned in the interview with Ion then they should really kick that habit and really dive into the creativity pool and see where it takes them.

1 Like

Talent trees are way more fun for the player but virtually impossible to “balance” for the developer.

Current talent system was created to streamline player choice and give some structure to help balance classes and specs.

What meaningful choice ? I play MM because I am regulated to having to pick a specific spec and the choices I have for that spec are not only cookie cutter but more like stale dollar store cookie quality. I personally with the way the game plays now would like more of a hybrid hunter one where I am my class and not just my spec.

We changed from classes to specs mainly due to player feedback and how everyone wanted their favorite spec to be competative in everything so they could play it.

I didn’t say they succeeded.

Can’t help but wonder if it’s not done this way to simply make their jobs MUCH easier but it simultaneously lowers the level of enjoyment a lot of players could be having because of said decision.

It feels like they’ve over-complicated it through the introduction of Specs and really neutered the talent system that has mostly nothing interesting to play around with or just set talents to be ‘‘competitive’’.

Their buffs and nerfs on a patch by patch basis can be pretty huge. It’s kind of baffling.

Balance of classes is fine for 98% of the WoW population.

You can take any spec composition of any classes and perform well enough to achieve anything you want in this game outside of maybe rank 1 gladiator (literally top 0.1% of bracket) and Mythic Jaina. Mythic+ well beyond the +10 where loot quality ends.

Everytime blizzard tries to give players “choice” it’s always horrible, in my opnion at least. Weren’t we supposed to have choice with azerite armor? Except there’s one trait that does double the damage of any other the trait. And what about talents? Oh same thing for talents. I use the same talents for every single boss in BoD. I did so in legion too. Maybe if im lucky, it would be slightly beneficial to change one talent, but rarely do i ever feel like i have a meaningful choice to make.

I remember, it’s understandable and I get that. I just never liked it to be fair. From a design and gameplay perspective, I think it would be cool to be able to mess around with other choices that would otherwise be spec-locked.

If 8.2 is ANY indication Blizzard wants to get rid of classes and specs completlly.
Soon we’ll have :

• Same talents for all ROLES (Heal/tank/DPS)

It’s their new way to balance classes/specs.