Dear Forum Moderators: Re Old Posts

Sometimes a gal’s just gotta have her 2 am pickle raids, know what I mean? Who among us hasn’t stood at the open fridge door gorging on something at one point or another?

What’s your favorite pickles?!

I love those Claussen brand ones in about any form. They’re the crispy cold ones, don’t care for those rubbery ones. The ones I currently have are mini dills but we get a lot of those in the big spears jars.

Yeah those are tasty. I like the kroger brand spicy pickles, and also their old fashioned chunk style ‘bread & butter’ pickles are good.

:cucumber:

Most of the time it’s people coming from Google and not forum regulars that frequent more recent posts that Google doesn’t have logged in their search engine, yet.

2 Likes

Blizz has some additional rules or “guidance” :slight_smile:

Do not “bump” posts.
The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called “necro bumping” or “necroing”).

Personally I think “for no reason” should be removed

Mmm sweet bread and butter slices are my jam /drool

Is that there? Thank you so much I scanned over it all three times and missed it entirely.

You were distracted by pickles. Tasty, tasty pickles.

:cucumber:

1 Like

Well, you know, when the 30-40 forum regulars and their
alts run out of :poop: to get outraged over, all they can do is dig up something from 2 years ago.
If the moderators remove that too, these forums will be truly dead.
Or maybe they can find other 5+ year old Tweets to get outraged over, who knows?

If you think this is a really big problem and they should just shut down all discussion after a few days, well, so you do. That way you can pretend it’s still a forum even though it’ll be pretty obvious there’s no real discussion (or actual players) here.

Clamp it down. That’ll save the game.

Hyperbole is real it seems.

My post basically said this: I think it would be a good idea to follow the setup on other Blizzard forums and lock posts to new comments after 2 months of no input. That way we wouldnt have the confusion of responding to something only to realise its a post made ages ago. If anyone wants to post something on a similar topic they can, making it current and relevant.

Is it somehow…wrong of me to suggest this?

I don’t think it’s a big enough problem to cut off discussion of still relevant topics at the 2 month point. Some topics somehow come up years later and yet are still relevant. You are free to report a bad ie irrelevant necro (not just one you want out because it’s a necro), and mods sometimes will lock an old thread full of misinformation.

Like once a month somebody necros a few threads. That’s not a big problem.

OK, thats your opinion which you are entitled to. I still believe its a good option and hopefully the people in charge will do something about it. Its something thats well overdue.

Sometimes I have accidentally revived a year long post, when commenting on a specific subject I looked up.

I don’t look at the date when replying.

Anyways!

This brings up the question.

What would we rather have? People who can post on old threads with legitimate concerns…or 240 different, individual, threads asking the same question.

Guilty. I’ve Googled bugs I’ve had in the past and commented on the thread, and then after the fact, noticed it was the middle of 2019. Oops!

1 Like

Can someones explain to me why necro-ing is a bad thing?
What if I wanna post in a funny thread made a million years ago? :laughing:

One concern is that the information provided in an old post and in the comments to it can be inaccurate due to changes in the game since it was done. Many people come here to find out about things and if they search here they often dont see a date but if its indicated at being closed that at least would tell them it is older information.

Well, you could always create your own funny post…

Yes, I do that too. Its easy to do when you cant see a date if you are looking at the last comments on it. Point is, if it was locked you couldnt comment on it, so accidental necro wouldnt happen.

What makes you think that there wouldnt still be multiple other posts even if you do comment on an old post?

I could have sworn that I saw something that said that they were going to start doing this, locking posts that have had no replies after a period of time. Could’ve been something I made up, though.