De Other Side(Spoilers)

We know, however, that the Zandalari are the oldest and most influential of all troll tribes and it was never mentioned that they worshipped Mueh’zala at any point. It’s possible, of course, but nowhere near logically comprehensible. For all we know, the Farraki were the only ones. So “all troll tribes worshipped Mueh’zala at some point” would be a clear retcon.

Agree on this. I don’t really care if he was mortal once, and just competent or clever enough to ascend to one of the mightiest loa.

But that’s not the problem. Nor is his rivalry with Mueh’zala over the realm of death, which could indeed be pretty cool.

The problem, as I see it, and what would really be lore breaking, is that Mueh’zala being Bwon’s boss all the time would contradict all former information about troll afterlife. Like in Shadows of the Horde when Vol’jin talks to his father on the Other Side, and there is no mention of Mueh’zala at all.

And of course also the implication that troll afterlife isn’t as good as expected, and that Bwon apparently had no idea what Mueh’zala was doing with all the troll souls in his care until lately.

I think you will understand that learning troll souls have been fed to the Jailer to empower him- and been devoured by Mueh’zala himself all the time before- is quite the letdown.

8 Likes

I’d personally prefer if he gained hatred the old fashioned way - that he simply trolled her.
Think of it- Vrykul and Valkyr are so obnoxiously pompous that meeting someone who mocks their way to be would definitely ruffle their feathers.

Which I’d find even more hilarious.

Within IRL Voodoo, Baron Samedi has a wife named Maman Brigitte, which is the Voodoo version of a Catholic Saint, Saint Bridget, who many agree is a Christianization of an Irish goddess Brigid, who was part of the Tuatha de Danann mythos that is the foundation of Ardenweald/The Winter Queen/etc.

So I’m hoping Bwon and WQ have a past.

100%

Nah the overall tone, the way Bwon talks about Eyir:

And dere be few who love to mess with souls like Eyir. A meddlin’ one she be, with her wings and her valor. […] And ya best not mention me name, or she might be sendin’ ya back to me faster dan any death gate.

And Talanji describing how Bwon reacted when pressed about it

Apparently she and Bwonsamdi have a past de loa was unwilling to discuss.

And the dialogue at Eyir, when Talanji isn’t actually a priestess of Bwonsamdi, he just has his magic winkwink inside of her

Chosen of Eyir says: You stink of Bwonsamdi and his twisted magics.
Eyir says: Minions of the Banshee Queen, leave this place or die.
Eyir says: Hold… you DARE bring a priestess of Bwonsamdi into MY halls?

and ofc Bwon dialgoue when you finish

Ah… Eyir. Lots of anger and pride in dat one. She not be speakin’ ta me for centuries now.

This is 100% the sequence of events if I sent one of my best friends to my exgirlfriend’s house to ask if she still has something of mine.

14 Likes

It is absolutely the vibe I got when doing the Eyir stuff for Bwonsamdi. The way he talks to her in an almost fond way while at the same time reminiscing over how much she hates him immediately made me think “These two absolutely had a thing going at one point”.

Personally I find it hilarious. Death gods need love too!

It also plays into Bwonsamdi’s character as a charmer.

12 Likes

But he literally trolled her, not just because he looks like a troll :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh he did Troll her.

But he also Ghosted her.

Why you’d even say she has a Bone to pick with him.

Perhaps something to do with his… mojo /que Austin Powers Groovy Baby sound file

5 Likes

like…Human beings who do not come into the light as it has been promised all these years before and as it has been presented.

Or like night elves who don’t turn into wipes, spirits of nature, and stay on Azeroth, or high elves/blood elves who come to paradise?

Why should trolls be an exception, all races and all existing lore were thrown overboard for this, not just trolls, don’t you think? I understand that, but it wasn’t just trolles that were lied to all these years.

I didn’t say trolls should be an exception, did I? The other examples you gave are no less disappointing in my opinion . But this is a thread specifically about the Other Side.

2 Likes

I don’t see it as a Retcon because we knew far too little about the details, it’s rather a …closer look at it. Of course, things can get confusing now, and I can understand that it would piss everyone off if they had been fodder for Mue’zala all these years, on the other hand it wouldn’t be a Retcon because we didn’t really know much, it was all hints, possibilities that were taken at face value.

A “closer look” that turns everything we thought we knew before upside down would ususally be called a retcon.

6 Likes

I still don’t get why Mueh’zala - who basically didn’t exist before 2018, since before then he was only a name - is the ultimate evil for trolls and the last boss of the dungeon while Hakkar - who we have fought several times and who was instrumental in the Gurubashi and Zandalari’s histories - is a midboss.

At least Bwon says he’ll be back, but it’s really dumb.

11 Likes

We didn’t know very much about the details before, in fact almost nothing. There were individual clues, but there was no more information. In my opinion it would be a Retcon if there were facts written down before.

An example for a Retcon is for example: The WOTA, originally a 250 years lasting war between dragons/night elves and Wild Gods vs burning Legion. Was changed into a weird time migration war with dwarves, tauren and and and vs Burning Legion.

We knew enough about the war before, as the locations did not change, only everything around it was changed.

Whereas a deepening of the information is now with the Night Warrior: A) It seems that it’s not always a moon priestess who goes through the ritual. We get more details about something where most of it is just “legends”, myths, but nothing more specific is known, it’s not a Retcon per se, but it’s a closer look at it. Thats my point of “Retcons” or simple changes, maybe its only my own classification but, thats my definition for retcon.

he exist since Classic wow. But was never ever mentoded after zul’Farakk, but bwonsamdi exist since…cata i beliefe…and until bfa we almost known nothing :wink:

I really think it doesn’t have to be a fling, they have too different personalities to get along. Eyir is pompous, rigid and all of that, and Bwonsamdi is a trickter and likes to joke around.

From that quote

I’d think that she was again pompous and tried to bring somewhere her valor nonsense, and he made awful prank on her which caused disaster.

But this is what I’d would do.

Yah, it is a really strange story decision. Mueh’zala was literally just a name and didn’t get any kind of characterization until Traveler, which is a children’s book.

But Hakkar, the biggest named adversary from troll lore that we’ve fought multiple times and who has multiple dungeons dedicated to him? He can just be a side boss with no real story to him at all. Almost a joke thrown in just to show how unscrupulous Bwonsamdi is.

It is incredibly underwhelming. Nobody gives a crap about Mueh’zala aside from the theorycrafters who read Traveler. It’d be like making Azshara a sub-boss on our way to kill Delaryn.

8 Likes

Nah man you’re not “unwilling to discuss” a prank. Baron Samedi in real life lore is very sexual and promiscuous, highly involved in love and sex workings.

1 Like

Hakkar is a character whose story has always intrigued me.

This image sold it to me:
~https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/e/e3/Hakkar2.jpg

This scene is amazing (very dark and creepy):
~https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/3/3d/Chronicle3_Hakkar.jpg

I hope we will know more about him in SL.

5 Likes

He’s the closet thing to an arch nemesis the troll race has. The Kil’jaeden to their Draenei, or the Arthas to their Forsaken.

I’d be down for an expansion all about Loa and Wilds Gods and what not. Hakkar could easily fit in as a raid tier final boss.

8 Likes

If a prank was really humiliating you would. And I know that Baron Samdi is described to be like that, but I just don’t see Eyir to be the one. It had to be someone less dull and pompous.

I just really dislike this particular idea.

That assumes that Mueh’zala does not somehow fit into the narrative in some as yet unrevealed way because of overlap with Bwonsamdi. Since Mueh’zala was the God of Death in vanilla, that means Bwonsamdi completely breaks everything we knew about troll lore so far. Who did we think Bwonsamdi’s boss was if not Mueh’zala?