Dark Portal is Broken

Picked up the quest Warchief’s Command: Outland! on my Zandalari Paladin once I hit 60. Followed the quest’s instructions to go to the Orgrimmar portal room, got teleported to the Blasted Lands by the Thrallmar Mage, tried to walk through the Dark Portal as the quest instructs, but nothing happens.

Either the Dark Portal is bugged and isn’t providing travel to Hellfire Peninsula like it’s supposed to, or the quest text is incorrect and the Dark Portal isn’t actually meant to take you to Hellfire Peninsula.

3 Likes

Just a quick question, what color is the Dark Portal? Redish? Greenish?

After I posted this, I continued the quest by taking the Orgrimmar portal to Shattrath and flying over to Hellfire Peninsula manually, but I just went back to check (had to fly from Stranglethorn to Blasted Lands because the Thrallmar Mage would no longer port me straight to the Dark Portal). It’s greenish.

Ok, so that has me believing that you are looking at the WoD Dark Portal instead of the BC Dark Portal. Nevermind that.

If you go to the little, white chat bubble on your map (upper leftish), you’ll find Zidormi. Does she offer you the option to turn back time?

Fairly certain it’s not the WoD Dark Portal. I figured that’s why you were asking, so I went to the Dark Portal on a character above 90 and noticed several significant differences between the area on my level 60 and my higher level.

My level 60 has no invasion of orcs coming from the portal, and it’s just a bunch of Horde and Alliance forces set up next to a greenish portal.

My higher level has an invasion of orcs coming from the portal, it’s got a bunch of Horde and Alliance troops next to and all around Khadgar, and the portal is reddish.

EDIT: To answer your question partially either way, Zidormi’s chat bubble doesn’t even show up on the Blasted Lands map on my level 60.

Ah, perhaps I have the colors backwards (I’m not at home to log in and check it out).

If green is indeed the BC portal, and If there doesn’t seem to be any NPCs down on the ground that need interacting (quest markers/highlighted) you may indeed be up against a bug. With all the portal reworking that was done, perhaps the Dark Portal got borked in the process.

If that’s the case, your post is in the right place here in Bug Reports.

[EDIT: I did have the colors backwards. So everything you described fits for a lvl 60: no invasion, no Zidormi bubble, green portal. Just that the portal won’t work.]

1 Like

I ran into the same issue on my level 60 Zandalari druid. The quest sent me to the Orgrimmar portal room to talk to a thrallmar mage. I spoke with the mage and was ported to Blasted Lands just in front of the giant green portal. I tried running through, but nothing happened.

There were a number of other players running back and forth through it as well, so hopefully they fix it soon. I too went back to Orgrimmar and ported to Shattrath then took the flight path to Hellfire.

Yup, this is a problem. Blasted Lands is fixed, but now the Dark Portal doesn’t work.

UPDATE: It’s fixed.

Still bugged on Cael today for some players. I was on my 66 mage & it wouldn’t work. Watched 5 others (both Alliance & Horde) having issues & then 1 guy arrives, walks straight & goes through. The rest of us were like WTF?

Dark portal on Lightbringer is having the same issue. We haven’t seen anyone actually able to walk in though. Not sure where my low level is suppose to go to get to Outland now.

Totiran - Have you tried using the Shattrath portal from Stormwind in the Mage Tower? If that works you just need to get from Shattrath through to Hellfire Peninsula for the quest to complete.

Dark portal is down. Deathwing.

1 Like

it’s broken on my realm. new blasted lands to draenor stormshield works for me, but old blasted lands to outlands hellfire peninsula does not.

really adds extra extra time to the Striking back event daily quest

Specifically, the old Blasted Lands Dark Portal is broken for level 90+ characters. Lower level characters can still use the Dark Portal just fine.

1 Like

i noticed that. it took too long for me and a level 113 to figure it out

Sigh. I went through the trouble of turning back time just to go through the OL Dark Portal instead of having to go to Shattrath. And it doesn’t work… There’s no reason why higher levels shouldn’t be able to use this. Please fix Blizz!

EDIT: This really sucks when trying to do holiday events and just makes me not want to them anymore.

2 Likes

I’ve been reporting this issue for months, and they still won’t fix it, much like the battle pets summoning issue (they tend to not get re-summoned after using a flying mount, which has been ongoing for YEARS now) and the Running Wild footprints bug (which is almost a year old bug now, as it was introduced in 8.0).

I actually gave up reporting the battle pets bug because the devs refuse to fix it, and I’m pretty close to giving up on the Dark Portal and Running Wild bugs as well (the latter will probably NEVER get fixed, even with the new models in 8.2.5).

1 Like

Still broken in 8.2.

1 Like

How is this still broken? How are people getting to Outland?

I dunno. Shattrath portal in the capital city portal rooms? If there was literally no way to get to the beginning quest zone of an entire xpac’s worth of levelling, you’d expect some urgency in fixing it.