Danuser is stealing from his own ideas

If I’m being generous: Maybe the problem is akin to TLJ. Rian Johnson isn’t a bad director, TLJ isn’t necessarily a bad film, it is just a bad Star Wars film. It didn’t attempt to respect the universe or the characters as they were, because it was too busy trying to be its own, unique thing.

So uh, maybe Danuser isn’t bad at writing or narrative design—he is just uniquely bad at writing for Warcraft?

3 Likes

Ah gotcha. Seems like that may be a fake tweet.

It is a bit too on the nose so I think it’s fake. But the fact I found it believable speaks for itself.

Because I can’t imagine actually proudly putting my name on any of this tangled mess of stupidity. I speak no hyperbole when I say I’ve read much better fan fiction WoW stories.

The Jailor actually managed to unite WoW players. He’s not even fun to talk about as a failure. It’s obvious why he’s terrible and not in the proper villainous way.

He really feels like a placeholder. Like they were going to circle back and put something more interesting there. He’s not even fun to look at.

Like Ragnaros’s “I like to burn stuff because as you can see, I’m made of fire” isn’t going to win any pullitzers. But it works as is.

And I always found it kinda dumb that elementals apparently have royalty. I guess I don’t picture a pile of rocks as having a 2nd Estate. WTF do they need serfs for? They’re rocks.

But even then it was interestingly bad in a kinda endearing way. The Jailor isn’t even that. He’s just such a generic bad guy who means harm in an extremely unclear way. Like at least I understand how and why setting fire to everything would be bad.

5 Likes

Same people who would pretend to be me on Twitter this last week lmao

8 Likes

Welcome back btw

7 Likes

Was back yesterday but I saw takes so awful from the usual suspects I decided to watch anime instead rather than reply

But I never left

I was here in the shadows

Liking y’all’s posts

Spooky like

4 Likes

I knew they’d come for you eventually. You have actual opinions. That’s a dangerous thing to have when mob mentality sets in.

And as always the greatest self proclaimed champions of progressive thought really seem keen to piranha swarm women, not white and LGBT people whenever they’ve been directed to by a white man who’s said he cares about that sort of stuff on camera so - clearly he means business and should be trusted implicitly. Not like white Leftists have their own white supremacy problem they’ll get wildly defensive about if you point it out or anything.

The site reminds me of seeing white protesters in the south side of Chicago yelling at no one in particular in 2020. I was only there because Covid really did a number on a close friend’s elders who I knew were important to him before he drove up from duck mothering Lexington just to do something. Mainly just grieve in person with loved ones I figure. We both suffer from the same bizarre complex where we think we’re clever enough to somehow come up with a solution to problems where the only answer is to cry.

And like - they were scaring residents. Because I’d have hoped I wouldn’t have to explain why a bunch of white people in marching formation in a black neighborhood is the exact opposite of comforting.

Like it’s great you’re mad as hell that you just found out your family’s fortune is stained with blood, Georgetown Prep, but you’re giving grandmas war flashbacks.

2 Likes

Sometimes crying is the solution. Crying is emotional release that comes as a physical response. It’s fine to cry sometimes.

But I’m a man. So I’m just going to punch the tears back into my face then tackle a wild animal because I CAN’T SHOW WEAKNESS!"

I joke but I only realized how self destructive this was when my best friend was killed. I appointed myself commissioner or everything. Made the worst phone calls of my life (thus far), planned the wake, organized housing for all the people flying in.

And only when everybody left and it was over did I completely explode. Because all the time I should’ve spent grieving was spent trying to exert some control over a situation I was completely powerless and utterly wounded by.

That’s actually what lead me back to WoW. It was one of the few hobbies we never shared. He got a Belf Priest to like level 73 in Wrath and just never cared after that.

Incidentally I’m very close with the local Ukranian community which have a sizeable population here. I just happened to live near them and wound up at everything from their Christenings to their funerals. In fact my first taste of true despair is when my friend, a Ukranian immigrant who came here early enough that you’d never know until he started murmuring Slavic curse words while half awake, died when were teenagers. I happened to be in the room when his grandma found out. I don’t speak the language but I know what a heart breaking sounds like in it. I’ve remained close to his family ever since. The suffering they’ve endured is Job like.

It’s called escapism for a reason.

Sorry that got dark. Someone hit the switch on my back from irreverent to maudlin.

Anyways here’s a WoW anime opening that’s nearly as old as the game itself and man I wish we could have an expansion as cool as w/e is happening.

1 Like

Even so, it’s in-character.

2 Likes

Man…no wonder the story is in the slumps.

That’s like saying Jar Jar Binks is Sun Tzu.

The only other character I could compare to Sun Tzu would be Admiral Thrawn and the Jailer is no Thrawn on any level whatsoever.

Dark Mirror was fine as a small contained story if your trying to imply the opposite :thinking:

Moorcock’s Eternal Champion anyone?

The Art of War is honestly an introductory guide to warfare, or anything really. It essentially is common sense. “If the enemy is few, and you are many… surround them.” “If the enemy is many, and you are few, don’t get surrounded.”

1 Like

The Art of War will seem basic to someone who already has a mind for strategy and tactics. Though, if my experience playing Strategy games has taught me anything, even capable tacticians can loose sight of the basics.

It has been awhile since I have read Art of War, but I remember having one issue with it.

“All War is based on Deception”
“Have a Unique plan”
“The best way to win is to not fight at all”

While these can be true in the right circumstances, I do not think they are all that useful in the broader picture. There is not always going to be room for deception and clever tactics. Process management will always triumph over untested gambits and overly complex maneuvering. History has proven that.

Granted, my experience is mostly of the table top variety. Disguising your maneuvers is less practical when your opponent can just look down at the board and see everything that is going on. All I know is there is a degree of satisfaction when you can control the board in such a way, that the only battles the enemy can engage in are the battles you have lured them into.

1 Like

Remember the context it was written in. It sounds like a primer in basic strategic thinking because that’s what it was created to be.

2 Likes

There are a lot of plot points that do line up between KoA and SL, though KoA was pretty good as a story with a lot of interesting lore. A bit simple to start, sure, but still they had good roots there and the villains were more grounded. I mean, the final twist villain was a giant, ancient dragon who had been pulling at the strings of fate.

In fact, the aspects about fate and predestination are the strongest links to SL, with that being severed by the end of the game, setting up for the MMO they had planned. Honestly, I don’t see the connection to KoA as entirely a bad thing, but the way it’s been done has been haphazard, even if a lot of its themed would have worked well in WoW if given proper treatment.

1 Like

Setting aside the details and questions about the historical side:

The work is in a logogram language, in a formal prose from that language, and very old (B.C.E.). That the english translations don’t convey the depth is pretty normal.

1 Like

You’re both right. And the Jailer doesn’t even meet this basic level of strategic insight.

4 Likes

The fact that so many people jump to criticize Art of War, I think that’s proof enough, many people have not actually read it.

There’s a lot of big talk, little substance in these forums. I’m more of a Machiavelli fan myself, and I’m glad the writers of WoW share the same stances. That’s what I would love to discuss.