Damage output in SOD is too high (PvP)

Who doesn’t like deleting someone within a couple seconds? I love it… My elemental shaman is a nuclear bomb. My druid with a starsurge and starfire, cyaaaa… This Shadow Priest a few dots and SW:D, good night! The reality is that PvP should require skill and fights should last more than 1-3 seconds. The PvP sets really need resilience added to them. There’s zero justifiable reason anyone should be getting 1-2 shot in PvP. The damage output is insane, completely unbalanced with all the new SOD abilities, and there just isn’t enough stamina on the gear to soak it up. The easiest fix is to add resilience to PvP gear, or significantly increase stamina on it.

Just my 2 cents…

13 Likes

Resilience to pvp gear is BooBoo. #1 thing i hated about pvp changes post classic was having to farm two sets of gear to play different parts of the game.

I agree that TTK is way to low, however. Healers are MIA because you can’t even heal anything in a BG against even a duo queue, let alone a 10 man premade.

I think the easiest solution, instead of adding resil gear or stuff like that, is to just do a flat 15-30% damage reduction across the board when dealing damage to enemy players. TTK goes up across the board, healing becomes more impactful, and engagements can become more interesting.

4 Likes

I love me big crits, but that could be an easy solution as well. TTK is terrible. A lot of us live for Classic PvP because the challenge. Having to really use a bunch of abilities and give it your all to win against an equal. Nothing like that anymore. I have to 2v1 people on my shadow priest to get that same adrenaline rush.

roll a soul link warlock it takes people a huge 8 seconds to kill me.

2 Likes

If you take away the burst meta then classes who have a larger and better toolkit, like hybrids/healers will be able to use more of their toolkit and the game will seem even more unbalanced than it is. SoD for this reason, which has classic type hybrid utility with 0 hybrid tax, will always be the least balanced version of wow in terms of pvp.

Retail fixed this issue by making it so you had to choose a spec to receive certain abilities and if you specced balance for example you couldnt heal well, in SoD druid healers put their talent points in balance because why not? SoD devs not only took away the hybrid tax they decided to let moonkins heal in moonkin form. They dont care about PvP. They would not be able to balance PvP by making players more tanky, they would need a total rework of like half the classes to make it even as balanced as era wow PvP. The SoD experiment was fun but dont come into it thinking the PvP is going to be any good.

Easiest and laziest fix would be resil. (Assuming that is even possible in the vanilla client) but also the worst.

Best fix would be to nerf the rune ability damage overall…Lava Burst and Priest Rune DoTs shouldn’t be a death sentence.

i’d love resilience… it’d only benefit me… good luck killing me thru my master channeler rune and soul link with 30% resil

edit: keep thinking this is tbc lol

Problem with resil is it favors some classes way more then others. Anyone that wants resil never played vs any double healer comp or even any druid comp in tbc. Obviously that’s arena and organized so its a different situation.

crono pres frost mage would be unkillable
sl haunt locks would be unkillable
freezing band fear immune fc druids would be unkillable
warrior with well positioned healers would be unkillable

3 Likes

All are very valid points. I like the discussion and glad to see everyone is on the same page about something needing to be done to fix the issue, regardless of it being an overall damage reduction, resilience, etc.

1 Like

Didn’t they do something in WoD where they normalized gear/stats for PVP? It seems to me that people are going to look at their “BiS” list and assume that it means it’s the best possible gear for their character for all situations, and use it to PVP, then complain if doesn’t seem to be as good as other gear.

Resilience at least makes it obvious that there’s a stat people are stacking for PVP, and not for PVE, but then means people would sometimes want resilience gear for PVP.

I think the easiest and laziest fix at least for players would be for the devs to adjust PVP to work differently, so players don’t have to do anything.

Just to note, I’m having fun with things the way they are right now.

:woman_shrugging:

I agree that something needs to change. Especially your name! :kissing_heart: no but really its too easy to 1 shot people. I miss the give it all you got 1v1 fights

You mean like pvpers have had to do forever?

I’ll take this as a compromise.

I have, they aren’t that bad to deal with, fight is just long. Double healer is only viable with warrior due to mortal strike and you didn’t fight them very often anyway. Cherry picking this alone is a pretty bad reason to be anti-resil, they weren’t that serious of a problem, just an occasional minor annoyance.

Yeah as much as I hate this super burst meta, it is also the only thing semi keeping hybrid casters in check as well.

2 Likes

In a world where wsg matches can very easily go up to an hour even in random pugs (I’ve seen 3 hour+ wargames). You think letting Healers ,FC druids with all the new tools ,60 sec poly healer mages and dampener style caster hybrids take advantage of resil is a good idea.

Very often I would get 30 minute arena games in tbc and would have to almost force teammates not to give up. While its wasn’t just double healers druids comps would also force them. Right now a mage healer and a druid fc can already extend wsg games by hours just by themselves. Now imagine it if they took even 10% less damage.

Hopefully this has been mentioned a lot of times and Blizzard will just put a cap to pvp damage. An overall cap would be fair to all classes, so NO class would be able to burst someone down. Even dots should be capped.

Warsong gulch matches have always been long, in 2019 classic and TBC, and in OG vanilla and tbc. Those long games are some of the most fun games, the timer from wrath was a horrible mistake that ruined wsg.

Yes, you will have to actually use critical thinking and coordinate cc chains, mana burns, dispels, do smart target switching, etc. Fights will be highly skill based, and in a stalemate classes can still run out of mana unlike wrath where they ramped up MP5 to disgusting levels and every healer has infinite mana.

Me too, I enjoyed them. Most of my games were not that long, a few stale mate mirror matches were, but those were a small minority of games. In 3s half hour games were even more rare. You know why those were fun? Because even in a stale mana ooming the enemy is still a win condition i can see, in wrath when I get in a long game there is no such win condition, it’s just whoever can fall asleep first because mana is no longer a resource.

Long games are fun, so long as they don’t repeat the mistakes of wrath and make mana an infinite resource.

Sounds like an overall damage reduction or like OP said, just a massive stamina increase is a good idea

1 Like

But… who are we kidding, small indie company isn’t capable of it.

1 Like

I agree. Rune damage is way too overboard.

I don’t like resilience or player damage reduction.

Just put more stamina on PvP gear.

2 Likes

The addition of resilience to BC was one the best things happened to PvP in the old game. Resilience gear helped with 2 things:

1- It did slow down the gameplay to a much more reasonable pace. You wouldn’t get 1 shot anymore. And could actually last for a while and use some abilities and enjoy the game.

2- For the 1st time, you needed to actually do PvP to get PvP gear. Which makes total sense. Vanilla PvP gearing where you had to do PvE in order to get the best gear to do PvP was a bad design. PvP and PvE aren’t and shouldn’t be really related. It’s a 2 in 1 game. You can still do both if you want. But you got do PvP to get PvP gear and PvE to get the PvE one.

2 Likes