Dagger & Sword Combat Rogue vs Dual Sword Combat Rogue?

Which one would be better? Because with dagger mainhand you can have backstab but you have a slow offhand, and with dual swords you don’t have backstab

Swords are technically better, but both can do amazing DPS and daggers are more fun imo. No backstab, no ambush with swords. I choose daggers even if swords are technically considered to be better.

1 Like

You know, you can switch weapons while in combat, so if you wanted, you could use an addon like Itemrack, set a couple keybinds, and instantly shift between weapon sets depending on your needs.

That’s true, but you can’t change the talents so easily…the rogue tree kind of makes you choose a specialization

True enough. Though it is possible to get both, if you want to. I don’t really play rogues, but you could play around with the talent calculator on wowhead and see what builds work. You’d lose 5 points of something else to get both dagger and sword spec, but it could work.

1 Like

I’ve played swords and dagger end game. Swords is superior. However, daggers is fun and great in PvP v casters.

I have a level 60 rogue alt, so I know the class, but at no point have I been deep combat, I’m a pvp spec right now. That’s part of the reason I’m partial to daggers but I’ve seen combat dagger rogues destroy the dps meters in raids so I’m confident in saying they can keep up with combat swords, even if swords are technically considered better

2 Likes

If you’re a human, you go swords all the way. End game content, daggers and swords are on par with each other depending on the fight. Swords are more consistent DPS and daggers are more bursty. Swords are also better for trash.

Daggers pull ahead on faster fights, where swords are better for longer fights, like Nef. You can’t beat daggers on vael though.

4 Likes

Agreed, daggers ftw with unlimited energy pool :wink:

1 Like

If you want to PVP in classic, well you got 2 good options since you’re Undead, if your rogue main is Alliance well then you can only play daggers because Orcs are basically immune to stun.

Daggers are just great all the way around, and because of that your raid team will feed you good daggers, way better than any 5 man dungeon loot. With daggers there are 4 really 5 different PVP builds and realistically 1 PVE build that’s competitive. (combat daggers PVE)

For Swords, well that is not a bad choice for horde just that its a lil harder to gear because getting a +sword skill item to get you up to 308 Sword skill to suppress the glancing blows issue is a little harder because its a more rare stat.

Daggers for +skill is easy, there are…

Distracting dagger {DMW Dungeon} +6 skill << offhand only
Muggers Belt {DMN Dungeon} +5 skill (i think its +5)
Aged Core Hound Leather Gloves MC Random drop (+5 Skill)
Circlet of restless dreams {World boss drop} (+5 skill)

So as you can see there are some really great options for daggers making the gearing process very easy.

Also good main hand dagger options:

1. Perditions Blade Ragnaros Molten Core
  2. Dragonfang Blade Vaelstras BWL
  3. Gut Gore Ripper Gar Molten Core

Good offhand options:

1. Core Hound tooth Majordomo chest Molten Core
  2. Distracting Dagger Price DMN Dungeon < Very good until you have better gear options.

Positive sides to Daggers is the play style is very satisfying and plays well with our extremely glass cannon health pool in PVP.

Negative sides are requires you are behind the target, and that’s some times easier said than done…

Also Negative, if your tanks in raid spin the boss all over the place making backstab very difficult.

Sword builds are technically stronger, but you give Ambush and backstab if you don’t want to run weapon swapping macros.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replys, I meant, too, like mainhand sword and offhand dagger, is it pretty viable?

1 Like

Ideally, specialize in one if you’re combat. The strength of the build is leveraging the specializations based upon weapon type. If there is a sizable difference between the gear though, go for the best MH&OH and spec around it.

1 Like

it’s an all or nothing sort of playstyle, you either go swords or you go daggers.
To make the most of your gear and talents you need to focus on one or the other.
Dagger spec crit is only on you dagger attacks, sword spec won’t proc off dagger swings so you’re halving your sword spec procs.

By spending an extra 5 points in the combat tree you’re missing out on valuable assasination talents which I honestly wouldn’t play without unless I was trying to pick up additional +daggers/+swords to hit the cap.

there are macros to switch your weapons. I use swords but if i wanna ambush or BS i can then as soon as i hit SS it goes back to my sword

Lots of bad advice in this thread. Using a dagger and a sword at the same time is foolish and you will lose dps. period. the good talents for both swords and daggers are deep into trees so you wont be able to have both. The pvp talents are deep enough into sub/assassin and the sword talents are too deep into combat. There is no reason to use a sword offhand if you are using daggers anyways…it provides nothing.

1 Like

not sure what you are claiming is bad advice, macros for switching weapons is not bad advice. i’m not spec’d into daggers. don’t have improved ambush or backstab but I do have coldblood and while I don’t have the talents to improve them there are situations where I still want to pop coldblood and ambush. Yes I know i’m not maximizing the ambush potential but it is situational

1 Like

Daggers seem easier to acquire. Less competition.

This is why i went Daggers. Its so much easier to get good daggers than swords.

Just get the Cthun dagger, or the MC gloves and your dps will be very competitive

Everything you just said tells me you are not a very good rogue. Not being rude…just facts.

Nah you are implying weapon swap macro is not a good thing. That tells me you just don’t understand melee at all. Not being rude, just facts.

Or do you need me to literally explain to you a situational time I would use coldblood/ambush when not spec’d daggers?

1 Like