Critical of World of Warcraft stories

It’s very surprising to see many forum goers say the story is bad and terrible and yet not one person on the forums would give any type of suggestions of how to fix it. Don’t you dare say this to me “saying it’s bad and terrible is constructive criticism”. Do you even know what is “constructive criticism” even is? It’s a form of criticism that gives descriptive meanings of what is wrong and how to fix it in your own way. But, to say “it’s bad and terrible” that in itself isn’t any constructive criticism more like being negative than say writing out a well thought out criticism of what is bad and how would you fix it in your own way.

Last story i kinda followed was in BFA after that i dont follow story at all

am I going to have to separate you two?

Because on the forums why bother writing out a dang ol essay when folks can just reply with “nah” ?

Hmm, I am one of those individuals. But, to fix that which I think is broken is a fix I don’t think is possible. I hated shadowlands primarily because it unveiled the mystery of death, it set up something poorly. Yet my fix would be to never go to shadowlands, to have pursued and ended the Old God threat once and for all instead. Dragonflight furtherly lacks much substance, but to fix that, The Primarily villains would need to be axed or given more depth. The Story was incoherent episodes here and there with missed opportunities and frankly is not one I would think is okay to release at all. I would’ve added more backstory to the Primalists, would’ve had the raid lead up to them freeing our Dragon Quartet, I’d have our Quartet spread damage throughout Azeroth, have Raszageth abandoned by the Icy one and Iridikron for their own schemes which would be pursued, and Fyrakh would not go to the poor excuse for the Emerald Dream, but for Silithus Maybe. Idk just yet. I’d have the expansion end with Iridikron bringing back a “Shade” or something of Galakrond for us to fight in a raid as he says his mysteries and vanishes with the elf silhouette of the “Harbinger”. Then I’d have the Epilogue be much longer, more focused upon those who fought with us trying to figure out where he went instead of just some Windrunner who had little hand in the expansion at all.
But, Even that is a bit lackluster, I’ll have to think about it. It takes time though

It is 100% possible to provide constructive criticism without offering “fixes”.
For example, pointing out how story elements that are continuously considered bad are the same types of story elements handled in the same lackluster/lazy manner as previous failed story elements IS constructive criticism.
Pointing out that SL trying to retcon everything with zero setup and no real motivation for the primary characters involved IS constructive criticism.
Pointing out that Alex and most other characters in DF were just throwing dialogue AT each other instead of actually having emotive conversations IS constructive criticism.
Pointing out that Chromie has become an almost intolerable bowl of sugar spreading diabetes across all of Azeroth IS constructive criticism.

Constructive criticism comes in many forms. A primary form of which is pointing out specific problems with the narrative.

We don’t get paid to write their story, they do. And frankly they should be doing a better job of avoiding narrative mistakes I learned not to make in grade school English/Literature classes.

2 Likes

If you eat something bad at a restaurant, it is not your duty to go back and tell the chef that it sucked.

You just give your opinion and go on.

1 Like

I would’ve made up an Etheral Empire, hell even made the Etherals a playable race.

I’d pick them over Earthen any day.

yet another bad faith thread from tyraelz about a decisive topic

2 Likes

I don’t really get invested in video game stories where my character isn’t a main character. Instead we are just an unpaid henchman standing off to the side watching some dull dialogue between characters that are presented as being larger than life but ultimately shallow and just uninteresting.

Blizzard writes stories about a group of npcs, and then says oh yeah I guess the player has to be there too somewhere.

This. My gods, this.

It’s so infuriating to have any accomplishments my character might make superseded by Thrall or Anduin doing sparklies for a few moments. The PC never gets to be the pioneer or the focus, we always have to just enable an NPC to actually fix the problem.

Another reason I despise forced faction membership. Any time I try to do something cool, I just know my faction or racial leader is waiting in the wings to suck up the oxygen and completely steal the credit.

Oh, I didn’t realize. They’re getting sneakier.

Yeah their style is to now use WoW/forum topics and then sneak in insults to get a rise out of people

2 Likes

Their esoteric, afterlife storyline was absolute garbo. They pushed the line of percievable power up for the sake of some dude bringing about change for something we don’t even know, and is gonna be left behind. Whole thing could have been without the afterlife. But they needed that scale. But now gods don’t matter because we have the first ones and they aren’t gonna matter because ope, here come the 0th ones.

I feel for Meteion and Fandaniel 1000% times more than I did the Jailer or Sylvanas. And one of them was a rando bird girl who saw sad crap and the other was a psychopathic maniac. Better in univere explanation for the power loss, too.

Meteion was right.

We have too many “spam new topics, dont really participate in the dicussion” forum posters.

1 Like

I’ve given many ideas on how to fix it. One of my personal favorites was designing the story to follow a very stable party of characters so the player can actually feel like they are part of a party on an adventure and tell the story through their eyes instead of through standoffish exposition where a lore figure talks at us.

But over time its just became clear thats how WoWs story is told and not much can be done there.

I know the T squad but I didn’t realize it was them because I seen a lizard avatar and didn’t pay attention to the name.

My issue is that we don’t have a Sanctuary Library. The story is a maze

Some easy to access location and unique like a class hall with all related current movies, cutscenes, books, pamphlets, notes, and possibly migrate Loremaster Cho to said location

:ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon:

Well, since legion, wow’s writing has been deteriorating, becoming predictable and dull. But this is due to a simple problem, wow has reached a level of power where there is no return, since legion we are facing forces that should be the final point in terms of lore. Our characters have bathed in countless forms of power and faced beings that are beyond mortal power (Mortality). For me, the only way to fix this type of narrative is to return to small conflicts, many want conflicts that focus on the old maps, crises between races, as we saw in the classic, with small conflicts, where races that shared the same place ended up coming into conflict. conflict or with someone from a people trying to usurp power. In any case, this narrative of always having a greater power aiming to destroy the planet is cliché and between us, it has lost its appeal. If Blizzard really wanted to fix this, they would return to focusing on small conflicts, focused on races and perhaps with some conflicts between horde and ally.

Okay here goes.

Criticism: story is bad

Suggestion: make story not bad

2 Likes