Critical Errors: ERROR #123 and ERROR #132

Hello everyone, I have been having an issue with WoW encountering fatal errors that crash to the desktop. The error is:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!
The instruction at “0x00007ff6a355a0d7” referenced memory at “0x000000000010024c”.
The memory could not be “read”.

This error has occurred every day since I started to play WoW again on the Shadowlands launch… sort of.

When I went poking in the WoW Error log folder, I found back in February 2020 that my game crashed with:

ERROR #123 (0x8510007b) This memory block has been corrupted by an out-of-bounds memory write.

Memory corrupted – delete -1

I took a break from WoW around this time, and forgot this happened. At the time maybe I assumed it was a one-time thing, or perhaps it just coincided with when I took my break. I have not gotten ERROR #123 since I started playing again, but ERROR #132 keeps showing up.

And a couple days ago, while playing WoW, instead of giving me an error, my entire computer crashed (BSOD) with the message:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

This has only happened once so far.

I have been lurking on this forum for the past couple weeks, as well as searching through old ERROR #132 posts other players have made within the past year or so. I have tried a handful of the solutions recommended. To list so far:

1. Uninstall Addons: I completely removed any addons from the WoW folder, and then I renamed my Interface, Cache, and WTF folders to -Old.

2. Turn off all game overlays: I have made sure that Discord, Nvidia, Windows Game Bar, and Overwolf overlays are all turned off. I cannot find any other programs on my system that use an overlay.

3. Switch from DirectX12 to DirectX11, turn off MSAA: These were various suggestions I came across in my search, and they didn’t help.

4. Fresh install of WoW

5. Run SFC Scan many times, a pass of memtest86, multiple tests with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, and a CHKDSK: Some hardware testing that did not turn up any errors or anomalies. Every test I’ve run so far has found nothing wrong. I have also tried reseating the RAM in my computer.

None of these solved the problem, and my game still crashes with ERROR #132. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern as to when the crash occurs; I’ve had it happen while doing a variety of in-game events, and it has happened from any time within 45 minutes of playing the game, to up to 4 hours.

Finally, I would like to note that no other game, at least from what I can remember, on my system has crashed. It seems like WoW is the only one with this issue (or maybe the only one that runs into a computer-issue that other games have somehow avoided).

I will post a few pastebin paths if anyone wants to look at the error logs generated:

ERROR #123 (first error I encountered only once):
/J4p24m4M

ERROR #132 (error occurring with addons installed):
/6cYZJ9Be

ERROR #132 (error occurring WITHOUT ADDONS INSTALLED):
/uvhVeecV

ANY suggestions as to what I might be able to do further would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Try deleting your Cache folder from within the Retail folder, that fixed it for me.

Hi Samfisher,

I appreciate the response. I actually did a completely fresh install of WoW the other day, so in a way I definitely deleted my Cache folder. I will certainly give anything a shot at this point, but can I ask if you have gotten both errors, or just ERROR #132? I’m trying to pinpoint what might make my case different from others who have solved their issue with a step like yours or the ones I posted above.

1 Like

Your Loaded Modules doesn’t show a clear execution path of wow -> graphics driver -> audio -> everything else.

I’ve noticed you have both MSI Afterburner and AudioDevProps from nahimic installed. These bits of software have been known to inject DLLs into other processes so could possibly be causing the issue.

Could you try either uninstalling those or restarting into Safe mode with networking ?

Hi Bluspacecow,

I will certainly try uninstalling both of those programs and then running WoW. I did notice however, that depsite uninstalling Nahimic, there is still a “Nahimic” service running, as well as “A-Volute Nh3 Audio Effects Component” found in device manager under Software Devices and “Nahimic mirroring device” under Sound, video and game controllers. Do you think I should suspend or even just stop the service, and also uninstall the 2 devices?

Hmm maybe something went sidewise with the uninstall as a well written uninstall script wouldn’t leave those traces behind.

Can you try downloading an uninstaller program and see if that can remove the remaining traces of it?

I will try that, although I do want to mention that apparently my MOBO “recommends” installing Nahimic from the App. And while I don’t think it’s required for working audio, I’m wondering if there are some Nahimic elements “built-in” to the board or the Realtek audio drivers I downloaded from my MOBO manufacturer’s page.

That’s something you’ll need to look into with the motherboard manufacturer. Looking at Nahimics website they do offer on board audio for motherboards but I don’t know if that means the board will be a Nahimic board or if they just provide the audio chip to other motherboard manufacturers.

The simplest way to check would be to lookup how to restart in safe mode with networking , then do that as this loads up a very minimal set of services and drivers. Nothing audio related loads in safe mode as far as I’m aware

So I got a minute and am in Safe Mode with Networking…

All the Nahimic devices are still present within Device Manager. I’m assuming it’s baked into the board in some way. For reference, I have an MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI.

!!!
Ok, so I cannot believe I didn’t type this in my original post. A couple days ago, instead of getting ERROR #132, I got a BSOD with the message:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

It has not happened since. I will edit this information into my post. Hopefully this can narrow it down.

Did you get that BSOD while in safe mode with networking ?

Is it still crashing while running wow in safe mode with networking ?

Are you up to date with your motherboard drivers ?

There’s a new BIOS version listed at - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI

Before you upgrade make sure you review the process by watching - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc

I’ve only gotten #132. What speeds are your memory running at? Memory instability can be a cause of #132 as well as your BSOD.

My memory is running at 3200MHz. Should I try messing with the speeds in BIOS? I’m really out of my wheelhouse here.

3200MHz is fine, it’s within the range of guaranteed speeds by AMD.

Hello again everyone, appreciate the help so far. Here’s what happened:

I removed a stick of RAM and the game has run for 2 weeks on 1 stick without crashing. So I’m thinking that stick was the issue, and order new ones. I installed them yesterday and… my game crashed with ERROR #132 again.

So now I’m thinking maybe it’s the DIMM slot? Anyway, I’ve gone back to one stick, and I’m testing it in the suspected bad slot. Hopefully I’m nearing the end of this troubleshooting, but you never know…

Hi Elyrah,

Any update on your issue? I have very similar issue, after I played wow on my new laptop for week, I started to get this error #132. Most of the time it crashes around one hour into play, it crash even I was not doing anything. Besides wow, I use BlueStacks sometimes and it crashes too, also one hour into use and the bad thing is that it crash my system. My IT friend thinks something is wrong with my memory as well, but when I troubleshoot with the manufacture, of course they said nothing wrong with their product.

Well long story short, I’m still crashing. Not as often (I can go 4 or 5 days without a crash) but it’s still happening. I don’t believe it’s a bad RAM slot, because I tested one stick in each for about a week and didn’t crash. But for whatever reason, when I have 2 sticks of RAM in, it seems to eventually trigger the error.

I’m really at a loss as to what to do next. Right now I’m trying to run the game with “Debug Mode” selected in the Nvidia Control Panel and see what happens. But because I can now go 5 or so days without a crash, it is taking a VERY long time to test each troubleshooting step I take.

Extremely frustrated at this point, and it seems like a lot of other people are having this issue as well. On a potentially related note, do you have a 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU? I’m running with a 3700x, and many people I’ve spoken to with similar ERROR #132 issues have a 3rd Gen Ryzen. I have no idea if that’s a clue to what might be causing the problem, or if it’s just because a lot of people have that series of CPUs.

I have I7 11th gen with Intel iRis eX GPU (Left wow 7 years ago and didn’t think I would come back when I bought that). I couldn’t take the crash any more and returning the laptop, just got a gaming laptop for a day, so far so good on WOW but somehow it’s not working with Citrix dual monitor… nothing is perfect I guess. Good luck on yours

3700x and vega 56
i read somewhere that xmp profiles can mess the game up.
i had the same crashes happening in raids.
i ran memtest overnight and the result was 0 errors for the ram, so ram wasnt my problem.
what i did was disabling xmp profile in bios, then ocing the ram to the xmp speed.
clear install of wow, deleting wtf folders, importing addon profiles via strings.
seems like my crashes were fixed.