Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

Are you playing with a monitor attached to the eGPU?

In WoW do you have the eGPU selected as graphic card to use?

Have you tested with telling the WoW App to prefer the eGPU?

And I disagree with you, macOS eGPU is very much plug and play, as long as you actually use what is “officially” supported and you are running at least Mojave (10.14.6)

Currently have a toon stuck in a cave in Draenor. Can’t even hearth out, the rainbow wheel starts immediately upon restarting my computer and logging into the game.

So frustrated. I’ve been playing WOW with my husband since vanilla. I know problems can’t be helped. However, the lack of communication is ridiculous. I’d love to be enjoying the game I love and the new content. Please just communicate with us.

6 Likes

This is complete BS! Yet again I lose another Vessel because of this issue. You cannot even submit a ticket for the issue. They are literally sitting on their hands not doing a damn thing about it. I was checking this forum from time to time just waiting patiently day after day but at this point it is ridiculous. Back to dailies and crashing every 15 minutes.

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f9f9a5ad5): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from com.apple.WindowServer in 120 seconds

service: com.apple.logd, total successful checkins since load (1240 seconds ago): 125, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago

service: com.apple.WindowServer, total successful checkins since load (1210 seconds ago): 109, last successful checkin: 120 seconds ago

4 Likes

I had to make an account to vent my frustration.

The worst part about all of this is the lack of character progression. Luckily I seem to have it much better than other users, because at the very least I can solo Visions without crashes, but being in a tank spec, I don’t know how long that’s gonna be feasible for.

But the real pain in the neck is the inability to the 1. The raid and 2. M+, as any group content causes crashes. I was lucky enough to have a ridiculously patient group last week to clear a Motherlode 4, and got a 450 pair of legs with Tier 2 Infinite Stars, which very well should have been an ilvl upgrade to 460 from 450, as I’m able to finish +6/7 keys. And the raid? Forget about it.

I’m unsubbing when my monthly time runs out, and I’m literally addicted to the game. That’s how bad this patch is for Mac users.

4 Likes

bootcamping does solve the issue completely. although the trackpad is finnicky so I had to go drop 25 dollars on a mouse. got a razer deathadder for 50 dollars off, so not a bad deal.

but with that being said, its pretty ridiculous that just to be able to play that a work around like this is necessary. im playing with the slider set to “7” with the exception of particle effects on ultra.
2019 13" mac book pro 2.4

1 Like

Yes, my monitor is attached to the eGPU directly (much better performance that way and to be honest I’m not even sure if I could use it on the Mac mini any other way).

Yes, WoW is set to use the eGPU (probably why I don’t have hard crashes but just unplayably bad frame drops in raids).

Yes, the wow app has been set to prefer the eGPU in the get info settings pane

And Yes, I agree with your disagreement of what you think I said :stuck_out_tongue:

MacOS eGPU support is great and very much plug and play. But on Windows it’s anything but (unless you get an NVIDA card but then it won’t plug and play on MacOS). Windows won’t install my drivers because it doesn’t recognize the eGPU, Windows won’t boot if I have the eGPU connected, and so on. And the solutions involve everything from hacked drivers to modified boot routines and more and I just haven’t had the time to try and spend the hours and hours to set up in the hopes that I can game on my Mac in bootcamp.

That’s my only point. If you don’t run windows it’s great. Can’t recommend them enough. But if you’re looking for a magic solution that turns Macs into a gaming dream with the aid of bootcamp… eh… might want to do some research first and see if it’s a can of worms you want to open. Here’s to hoping Apple will offer eGPU drivers for bootcamp or something but that’s probably unlikely.

WOW has a Mac client download. If the game doesn’t work on Macs, they shouldn’t have it. It’s been 17 days of their Mac client not working. It’s like getting a candy bar that has a big sticker on it that it doesn’t contain peanuts but is 100% peanut. Sure, the majority of people are not allergic to peanuts, but that doesn’t make it the minority’s fault for buying the candy bar and then dying. If the game isn’t made for Macs, they shouldn’t say that it does and still allow ppl to download the client.

11 Likes

Normally I don’t do PTR testing because I like to see the new content with fresh eyes and spoiler free but… I kind of regret that now given the sate of 8.3.

I guess in the future I’ll have to start hoping on to test updates and seeing if Macs have any issues so that this “hopefully” doesn’t happen again.

1 Like

Wouldn’t have mattered, blizzard was aware this was happening on PTR and did nothing about it

2 Likes

sad, was really thinking about putting my boyfriend on to the game so I can have someone to play with. this game really helped me out with my depression and stress… looks like I really have to look for a new game with the way things are going… febs tmw and still no eta. but at least I got 65 dollars back in my pockets lol…

1 Like

This issue is obnoxious. I am extremely disappointed. That being said I have decided that I was going to make an upgrade anyway. Sad thing is I am a huge apple and mac fan but I have decided to not deal with annoyances like this in the future I am switching back over to a windows machine. So thanks to the issue and not getting my proper time playing my game I have bought a new computer. It is coming in the mail. Part of me feels really irritated that I had to do this - I didn’t “have” to - but wow is one of the ways i am able to relax from my real life stressors like my kids (love them, but its my way of relaxing from them). I think blizzard could have done better… I am pretty disappointed in them. I have been playing since 2007. I have never had any issues too bad. Many different computers in the time. It never seemed like an overly demanding game for my many computers. But at this point… and having to hard shut down my mac so many times to the point where I think the mac is just crap now… i decided I can’t just keep doing this… It’s no fun and it’s frustrating. I’m really, really, really really disappointed in Blizzard. If i hadn’t gotten free time from family members I would be out and done with this game. But since this new computer is coming I am going to keep at it. Just totally lost faith in the company.

3 Likes

I’m sad for you. I feel you 100%.

3 Likes

So just to update you guys on at least something… but after my THIRD ticket of requesting a refund on my token and them telling me I may or may not get something at the end, who knows and basically saying Mac users are not top priority due to all the current bugs… the gm said they are currently working with Apple to resolve this.

At this point I don’t believe anything they say but take it as you will.

6 Likes

I keep hearing that gms through tickets are telling ppl that they are working with Apple to resolve the issue, but everything Apple has said through their cs is that there is no problem on their end and that it’s a WOW problem. They also say that it’s best to not play the game until Blizzard fixes it. Not sure why Blizzard is still selling the game and has the Mac client download up. They should just tell the truth, admit they can’t work with Macs, and stop making money selling a broken game.

9 Likes

Honestly that’s where I am at. No more mac and wow anymore for me. I will just have to have my mac for other stuff and my windows computer will be for wow. Oh well…

1 Like

Bootcamp ! Works perfect w a mouse

I played EQ2 for 11 years and the last few of them were on a an iMac dual-booting Windows 'cause that game is Windows only. I’m a sysadmin at a hospital and I work on Windows and Linux servers all day. I enjoy using my Mac at home, and when I bought a MacBook Pro, I literally switched to WoW specifically because it runs on MacOS and I wouldn’t have to bootcamp it. This sucks.

Haha, sorry I didn’t read the part about windows correctly. :slight_smile:

But what AMD card do you have? For example, if you have a 5700 you really need Catalina 10.15.2(.3?) to really get it to work in bootcamp correctly. Some of them seem to boot into windows without any issues, and others seem to be more of a pain that is for sure.

I am assuming you have read all the stuff on egpuio, it is a great site…