Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

Haha, sorry I didn’t read the part about windows correctly. :slight_smile:

But what AMD card do you have? For example, if you have a 5700 you really need Catalina 10.15.2(.3?) to really get it to work in bootcamp correctly. Some of them seem to boot into windows without any issues, and others seem to be more of a pain that is for sure.

I am assuming you have read all the stuff on egpuio, it is a great site…

All the people going out and buying Windows computers is just shockingly absurd imo. Blizz slacks off so let me go out and spend hundreds (or maybe upwards of 2k dollars) on a new PC and oh and while I am at, I’ll keep throwing you $15 a month. All your doing is enabling this garbage and taking away Blizzards responsibility to be accountable for the problem they created. But hey it’s your money. Blizzard loves consumers like you.

11 Likes

It’s how they are getting away screwing over w3

At this point I don’t think anything could bring me back to WoW. Even if they do implement a catch up bonus system for those affected by these issues. I was really looking forward to this raid and all the content it brought. Even if the story is underwhelming, (and ripped off) I was really hoping to get back into it and look forward to shadowlands. But now I don’t believe anything can bring me back. It’s not worth it to be left behind and to cry out and not be heard or even acknowledged.

I’m happy that some of you have been able to find other ways to play. Be it bootcamp, or purchasing a new device to play it on. But please don’t disregards those who don’t have that luxury.

Blizzard is just a name, and nothing else to me anymore. It held memories and nostalgia of my adolescence growing up.

I hope this issue is resolved for those of you who want to stay and play the game. I hope you find it’s worth it to you. I hope you don’t get anymore flak for being a “Mac user”.

5 Likes

Question for you: are you using an ssd for your Bootcamp? My internal is a classic ide drive, and I was using an external ssd for WoW prior to this 8.3 disaster. It appears I would have to install BCamp on that drive. What’s performance like using the non-ssds? It seems if I want to put BCamp and WoW on the SSD - it’s a much different ordeal than just firing up BCamp assistant. I appreciate any feedback on this.

Mac has released an update for its display! N.n

1 Like

If you are still paying this company money, at this point, you are just a fool.

4 Likes

Hey folks,

Wanted to provide another update before we go into the weekend.

Of note before we talk about the quest for a fix - you may be able to reduce the frequency of the crashes by lowering your graphics settings - particularly particle density. (ESC>System>Graphics - set the Particle Density dropdown on the right side as low as it’ll go.) I can’t guarantee that this is going to completely fix it for people, but it may allow you to stay in game longer.

As far as the progress on the bug goes - still no ETA on a client-side work around just yet, but we’ve narrowed this down some thanks to the recent data players submitted. We have QA testing a few tweaks of the game client to see how they improve things. We suspect the proper “fix” may require us to work with Apple, Intel, or both. Nonetheless, we have some ideas we’re trying to see if we can disable the thing that we currently believe is causing the crashes to at least hold folks over until that work can be completed. Once they go live we’ll let you know what changed and what to expect so that we can have people retest.

Thanks again for hanging tight, and for all the information you’ve provided throughout this thread.

18 Likes

Wait, what?!

"As far as the progress on the bug goes - still no ETA on a client-side work around just yet, but we’ve narrowed this down some thanks to the recent data players submitted. We have QA testing a few tweaks of the game client to see how they improve things. We suspect the proper “fix” may require us to work with Apple, Intel, or both. "

Seriously?! 17 days of this on live (not to mention the time you all had during the PTR where, I have seen reported, there was the same issue (spelled KNOWN") and you haven’t even started to work with Apple or Intel on this issue that you have identified to be related to them? No Q in your QA… no S in your CS. This is obscenely incompetent. No accountability ?!

17 Likes

too bad my particle density was already at the lowest it could go due to me already using the lowest graphics lol doesn’t work

6 Likes

They just reiterated the “lower graphic quality” setting thing that really doesn’t make it playable at this point since things got worse

Basically this is bliz just grasping at straws but they said something

6 Likes

It’s on my internal SSD. It seems to be dome extra steps to get it seamlessly on an external. Load times are super quick. Runs pretty good imo.

I’m just going to say: thank you for some form of communication - shocker, your little tip was the first thing I tried, but thank you for confirming that we wasted time and money renewing 4 accounts for some family time with the kids.

6 Likes

They were too busy screwing over w3 customers to care about their customers

3 Likes

Yep; their new marketing strategy is selling DOA games, and having a final sale policy. It’s genius really.

5 Likes

Yep too bad they are apparently doing the Same ea move and refusing to refund Australian customers money, which is actually considered a crime and liable to legal ramifications unlike what they keep pulling here

3 Likes

Appreciate the update! It’s good to hear what is being attempted and that a fix is in the works even if it isn’t as quick as I/we would like.

Y’all complain and complain about wanting regular updates but when you get one ya just whine about them not having anything concrete to say. You can’t have it both ways, the people updating us are not the ones working to solve the problem and can only tell us what they’re told. I can’t raid with my guild or do any group content so I’m just as annoyed and frustrated as the rest of you. However, complaining when you’re given information and complaining when you aren’t solves nothing.

7 Likes

I may have reported this before, but since Drakuloth mentioned turning down graphics quality it may be worth repeating. I find I have significantly better uptime with graphics quality and resolution set as low as possible. When attempting to fight Wrathion in Ny’alotha, turning the graphics down increased my uptime to 90 seconds (from 10 seconds) per pull. At that point the client would lock up and I would have to force quit or reboot.

However, at minimum quality and minimum resolution, text on the screen is pixelated to the point of being illegible and I just can’t play that way. I’ve been continuing to solo on Mac with graphics set at a 3, and I get freezes but it’s mostly playable (and since no one’s relying on me it’s less of an issue when I crash). I’ve installed Windows in Bootcamp so I can actually get in on this tier of raid content.

This sounds like it’s not going to be a quick fix, so I’m glad I have WoW working in Bootcamp – even though it’s finicky and I hate it. At some point my raid team would just have to replace me otherwise.

I appreciate the updates, Drakuloth, but this is really frustrating. :frowning:

I haven’t been able to play properly in weeks. how are we at least not getting free game time since we’re paying for a broken game subscription service game?

7 Likes

I dont really get how the fix will require you to work with apple/intel. you had a perfectly fine product before the code you implemented in 8.3 crashed it. So the problem is confined to changes that you (emphasis on the YOU) made with the patch. Nothing changed on the machines side. Dig through what was changed, I’m sure it had something to do with graphics processing and memory usage, and just plug and chug one out at a time until you figure out what crashes the servers. It’s the easiest bug in the world to reproduce if you buy any 13" macbook pro, so our data shouldn’t be worth too much either if you actually have people testing this out.

9 Likes